What Would You Do?

waffle

My dog recently got diagnosed with cancer and i'm not sure how long i have with him while hes healthy. I want to make the rest of his life as fun and as happy as possible. Right now he is still active and fit so I want to take advantage of this and let him do all the things a dog should do.

Since the weather is warming up I'm thinking of taking him to the beach as he's never been

I also wanted to go camping but not sure how I'd do that but if it doesnt work out then i'll just camp in the backyard or something with him :laugh:

What would you do with your dog if you knew you had limited time??

I'm interested to know and i'd love some ideas :)

Sorry if anything similar has been done before but couldn't find anything when i searched.

Just treat him normally but with a bit more spoiling than usual. If you change the routine too much it may distress him.

I would also be looking at trying Traditional Chinese Medicine on him. One of my dogs and several friends dogs have all lived much longer than predicted with cancer, after being treated with chinese medicine. My dog had three years but others have ranged from one to seven years beyond veterinary predictions of terminal cancer. I have no idea if they were cured or in remission but they were happy and healthy with no treatment side effects and that is all that really matters.

If you are interested I can provide contacts for you.

sorry to hear that waffle :)

i'd do the beach for sure; let him run and play and dig and do all the stuff that dogs should be allowed to do. don't forget to take his ball or frisbee or whatever his favourite retrieve toy is...

i like the idea of camping in the backyard but srsly, it's all the different smells of 'other places' that'll count for him, so i'd find a caravan park that allows tents and set up camp there for the night :D

take him and some doggy buds to a wide open space where there's plenty of interest; rabbits, trees, a creek...

one of the last things i'd do for him is give him a spa day --- the whole shebang with essential oils, massage with the sounds of violins and piano playing in the background...

good luck and take good care of you and your dog :D

edited cuz i got your name wrong, sorry :laugh:

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

Just treat him normally but with a bit more spoiling than usual. If you change the routine too much it may distress him.

I would also be looking at trying Traditional Chinese Medicine on him. One of my dogs and several friends dogs have all lived much longer than predicted with cancer, after being treated with chinese medicine. My dog had three years but others have ranged from one to seven years beyond veterinary predictions of terminal cancer. I have no idea if they were cured or in remission but they were happy and healthy with no treatment side effects and that is all that really matters.

i like that idea :laugh:

With Lucy I did her favourite things more often or for longer - she loved being groomed so I groomed her more, she loved going to the kids sporting events so I took her to more of them etc etc. I didn't spoil her with food because I wanted her healthy for as long as possible. She was given 4 months and lived very well for 8 months, was starting to seem unwell (no energy, extremely fast weight loss) for her last month (we gave her the green dream)

I'm very sorry your dog is sick.

Edited by Lucy's mama

Hi Waffle,

Sorry about your news. I think you've got the right idea.

I'd do all the things that your dog loves, if that's chasing rabbits, or a ball, go for it.

My girl loved sleeping in human beds, so she got spoiled that way, until my husband complained. But as she also loved the sofa lounge, I converted that into a bed and slept there with her. It was lovely having her so close, and it meant I could take her out if she needed help, which sometimes, she did need the help! We did that for as long as we could ( a couple of months). Eventually, she didn't want company....

I also made impressions of her paws, took lots of photos.

And don't forget the cuddles!

i like that idea :laugh:

good suggestion... two of my guys have been holistically treated for cancer... and have both lived much longer than the original prognosis and lived well too..

soory to read teh dx but remember cancer is just a word -- life is what you make of it

H

I second taking lots and lots of photos and video of him doing the things he loves and make yourself a slideshow or montage (i would be happy to do this for you if you need help). Even if you hate photos (like i do) of yourself get lots of photos of the two of you together.

Try the alternative medicines. Try not to be sad around him or think about the limited time frame, he will sense this on you. If he isnt allowed on the furniture/lounge/bed let him.

The beach is lovely and i have yet to meet a dog that doesn't like it. If he like the car take him driving just for the hell of it! Play his favorite games and give him his favorite food. Spend every minute you can.

I wish you much quality time together :laugh:

Thanks for the replies. love the ideas

ive been taking lots of photos but forgot about paw prints!

i think there was someone who makes paw prints into jewellery or something?

does anyone know where i could get that done?

and yep he is being spoilt. he gets to sleep on the bed at night and he hogs the whole thing... im always right up against the wall and hes sprawled smack bang in the middle of the bed.

i love the idea of taking him somewhere with his doggy pals where they can go sniffing and chasing.. might try and organise that because i think the things he likes best are playin with his mates and running around investigating everything.

dancinbcs - i've heard good things about chinese medicine so might give it a go. could u post/pm the contacts please ? :laugh:

and dustangel - hahah u have no idea how many photos iv tried taking of him and me together but he wont pose for me.

Sorry to hear your sad news :(

Spoil him and spend as much time hanging out together and take lots of photos.

I lost my previous Bull Terrier, Jessie to heart disease. The prognosis was "6 months, 12 if she's lucky" Jessie astounded the vets and made it to 3 years. Of course we started to relax her obedience training and letting her get away with things she normally wouldn't. "Queen Jess" lapped it all up and had us wrapped around her paw. She got to sleep on the bed every night and we kept up our daily beach walks with her mates, even tho' we had to shorten them and sit it out until the others came back.

Good luck and hope the prognosis is wrong. :laugh: to you.

My dog recently got diagnosed with cancer and i'm not sure how long i have with him while hes healthy. I want to make the rest of his life as fun and as happy as possible. Right now he is still active and fit so I want to take advantage of this and let him do all the things a dog should do.

Since the weather is warming up I'm thinking of taking him to the beach as he's never been

I also wanted to go camping but not sure how I'd do that but if it doesnt work out then i'll just camp in the backyard or something with him :vomit:

What would you do with your dog if you knew you had limited time??

I'm interested to know and i'd love some ideas ;)

Sorry if anything similar has been done before but couldn't find anything when i searched.

I am so sorry waffle. I had a similar experience and was lucky enough to be able to take a month off work to spend with mine. We went to the beach and lots small walks and hugs and bones and just being together was wonderful. Enjoy this time and do all his favourite things whilst he still can. xx :laugh:

Thanks for the replies. love the ideas

ive been taking lots of photos but forgot about paw prints!

i think there was someone who makes paw prints into jewellery or something?

does anyone know where i could get that done?

and yep he is being spoilt. he gets to sleep on the bed at night and he hogs the whole thing... im always right up against the wall and hes sprawled smack bang in the middle of the bed.

i love the idea of taking him somewhere with his doggy pals where they can go sniffing and chasing.. might try and organise that because i think the things he likes best are playin with his mates and running around investigating everything.

dancinbcs - i've heard good things about chinese medicine so might give it a go. could u post/pm the contacts please ? :vomit:

and dustangel - hahah u have no idea how many photos iv tried taking of him and me together but he wont pose for me.

Details sent by pm. If the dog is still reasonably well in himself then now is a good time to try chinese medicine. It won't work if the the cancer is really advanced as it works on the theory of fixing the imbalance in the body that allowed the cancer to survive. Balancing the body means that the cancer cannot grow but it takes at least a few weeks for the body to recover enough to stop the cancer.

I'm so sorry Waffle. My old girl got diagnosed with cancer masses almost 3 years ago - lumps of different sizes all over her. Then earlier this year she got diagnosed with mammary cancer with no idea how long she's got. She's still very active but does better on a routine. So I just try to give her that bit extra attention and cuddles and take photos more regularly rather than take her on extravagant outings. The vet has given me advice on what to look for as far as the symptoms to be worried about as the cancer goes into other organs. Apparently she will go downhill very quickly when it happens. At first I panicked if I couldn't see her breathing but as the months go on I'm trying to trust in fate to tell me when the time is right. I did spoil her more on her b'day last month and for winter this year she got loads of new and expensive coats and jammies because I was worried she would feel the cold more. But apart from that it is life as usual in our house, with just a little more one on one time. She is behind me right now play fighting with one of the other dogs!

:vomit: Hugs for you! That is very sad!

Is it Oliver? The dog in your sig? It says he is only 10 months old? :laugh:

I think all your ideas are great! It's so nice that your spoiling him and taking him to to the beach is a great idea too!

I hope you can find someone to do the paw print jewellry! Thats such a lovely idea!

;)

You may be interested in this dvd -

http://www.laughingowl.com.au/7days7dogs/howitbegan.htm

Below is a quote from the link

"The story of "Seven Days with Seven Dogs" began when Suki, our 13-year-old border collie/kelpie cross created a huge lump on her throat. The vet suspected a tumour. Surgery was out of the question as she had a severe heart murmur. We needed to make every day a jewel.

As an animal psychic, I communicate with animals on a telepathic level. I asked Suki what she needed, as I believe that every dis-ease has an emotional causation. She said, "I need more outings." Outings made her happy, she said, and while we always took the dogs out in the car, she didn’t get enough “real” outings. She suggested a holiday, and suggested I film it.

As I didn’t know how much time we had with her, I immediately went into action, organising a doggie holiday of a lifetime and a shoot. We also gave Suki a hefty dose of immune boosting herbs and supplements. I believe the emotion of joy is paramount to the healing process, and I was going to make sure that Suki had the best time of her life."

ETA - I'm not the animal psychic mentioned in this link

Edited by Mila's Mum

Sorry to hear of your news, I hope you get as much fun filled time with your boy as possible...

As well as photos- try to take as much video as you can.... I took loads of photos in the last few weeks I had with my boy, but forgot about video- I have one video of him playing with my eldest son- and it is truly one of my most cherished videos, i watch it all the time.... I wish in hindsight I had taken more video.