Kennel Cough + Shows + Dont Do It! Agh!

Missymoo

Dogs can be contagious with the KC virus before the symptom of coughing starts according to my vet.

Correct, just like chicken pox. You are contagious before you show signs.

Many would be spreading it and not knowing.

She did nearly choke herself at Bairnsdale the other week, and has been snorting a bit when the lead gets too tight. I might take her to the vet to get checked out.

Definitely get her to the vet for a check up- all your worrying may be for nothing, I hope so!! Meanwhile, some Manuka honey should help sooth any soreness. And if it is KC will help her heal faster.

If you press your fingers against her throat and it makes her cough then it is probably KC.

That is how the vets check for it.

I tried that, but no cough. Not sure if I am doing it correctly or not. Won't get my hopes up until I've seen the vet.

No we do not have KC.

I have looked on the VCA rules & regs pages & also the ANKC site and there are no definate time frames as to how long a dog must be quarantined after showing the first symptom.I have asked several vets and each one suggested keeping the dog/s home for different length of times.

One said two weeks after they have stopped couging then they can go back to parks & shows etc.

I understand that if they got a severe case then it may take longer to get back to normal health, energy level etc.

If you got it in Aug Flaves and he has now stopped coughing couldn't go the speciality in October? Thats a four week time frame.

BB

From the bottom of the entry form - that you have to sign and declare that you are telling the truth...

I certify that this exhibit has not within the said period of three months been in a kennel affected with Distemper, Canine Hepatitis, Parvo Virus or any other contagious or infectious disease and that during the last twelve months prior to the date of this Show the dog was vaccinated.

seems pretty straight forward to me.

What happens to exhibitors that break these rules?

Why don't they get reported?

No we do not have KC.

I have looked on the VCA rules & regs pages & also the ANKC site and there are no definate time frames as to how long a dog must be quarantined after showing the first symptom.I have asked several vets and each one suggested keeping the dog/s home for different length of times.

One said two weeks after they have stopped couging then they can go back to parks & shows etc.

I understand that if they got a severe case then it may take longer to get back to normal health, energy level etc.

If you got it in Aug Flaves and he has now stopped coughing couldn't go the speciality in October? Thats a four week time frame.

BB

From the bottom of the entry form - that you have to sign and declare that you are telling the truth...

I certify that this exhibit has not within the said period of three months been in a kennel affected with Distemper, Canine Hepatitis, Parvo Virus or any other contagious or infectious disease and that during the last twelve months prior to the date of this Show the dog was vaccinated.

Not on the bottom of my forms it doesn't :eek: . The VCA have been asked and have said they can continue once they have been checked by a vet. Perhaps there needs to be a set rule so people know what is expected of them.

No we do not have KC.

BB

Not on the bottom of my forms it doesn't :eek: . The VCA have been asked and have said they can continue once they have been checked by a vet. Perhaps there needs to be a set rule so people know what is expected of them.

Yes Vic dose not have that on there forms .When my kids came home from Tassie with KC the VCA said if the vet found them fit it was fine to show them .I took a month off with them after the last one cleared up so all told I was out for 8 weeks.

I was just perusing the entry form and saw the same nothing about illness.

It is interesting that you are stating out for 3 months. Because as a human with an infectious disease we are not required to be isolated for 3 months after recovery.

Unfortunately most infectious diseases are infectious 2-3 days before symptoms occur. And you are no longer infectious once recovered. Parvo maybe different. I do not have knowledge on that.

It is interesting that you are stating out for 3 months. Because as a human with an infectious disease we are not required to be isolated for 3 months after recovery.

Unfortunately most infectious diseases are infectious 2-3 days before symptoms occur. And you are no longer infectious once recovered. Parvo maybe different. I do not have knowledge on that.

I'm not stating - This is what is written on the bottom of all forms in South Australia - so perhaps Victoria doesn't have the same rules? Would that mean though, that if you come to South Oz to show - you have to show under these rules and can't show a dog that has been in a kennel with illness for three months? Mind you - pretty sure people ignore that statement on the form.

I was out for 8 wks last year with KC..... annoys me when people take their dogs out when they are coughing and have the squirts..

Here here

As for how long you are out, according to the VCA rep i spoke to it was once a vet gives the all clear with KC you are allowed back in the ring

Peronally, knowing that the dogs shed the virus afterwards, why not give it a couple of weeks after they are clear? (this is a general comment not aimed at Weis cause i know why she wanted to go to the royal so much ;) )

Edited: Gwen went to the vet today and has a certificate that she did not have KC, she has a slightly inflamed ear which the vet thinks could have caused the irritation. I've been given drops and the vet seems to think she will be all clear by Monday. There is hope yet!

Edited by weisnjac

I'm not stating - This is what is written on the bottom of all forms in South Australia - so perhaps Victoria doesn't have the same rules? Would that mean though, that if you come to South Oz to show - you have to show under these rules and can't show a dog that has been in a kennel with illness for three months? Mind you - pretty sure people ignore that statement on the form.

NSW forms have them too.

It is a pain when people have dogs at shows who very obviously have kennel cough. I went to a weekend away where there were dogs near us with bad kennel cough the whole time. Chazer caught it, luckily 2 dogs with us that didn't belong to us didn't get it because both their owners also had very elderly dogs at the time too.

Chazer coughed for a day then stopped and I thought it was over and he started again a few days later. Luckily the girls didn't catch it off him, otherwise I would have missed the agility nationals in Victoria, and they only come around every 7 years so it was Bella's only chance of ever going.

It is a pain when people have dogs at shows who very obviously have kennel cough. I went to a weekend away where there were dogs near us with bad kennel cough the whole time. Chazer caught it, luckily 2 dogs with us that didn't belong to us didn't get it because both their owners also had very elderly dogs at the time too.

Chazer coughed for a day then stopped and I thought it was over and he started again a few days later. Luckily the girls didn't catch it off him, otherwise I would have missed the agility nationals in Victoria, and they only come around every 7 years so it was Bella's only chance of ever going.

Did you say something to the people concerned? Did you report them to the Rep?