Kennel Cough + Shows + Dont Do It! Agh!

Missymoo

I dont have it, but had it about 3 weeks before I was ready to go up to the Brisbane Royal...BUT a few exhibitors have recently aquired it and now cannot go to the Melbourne Royal :rofl:

If you know of anyone WITH KC and they are taking the dogs that are not coughing, please please dont let them do it!! they are all exposed!! :rofl:

I have a feeling that quite a few will come down with KC after the Royal has been and gone casue of course there are plenty who this rule does not apply sadly :o

Im so sorry for those who had on FB they are unable to go now :(

I dont have it, but had it about 3 weeks before I was ready to go up to the Brisbane Royal...BUT a few exhibitors have recently aquired it and now cannot go to the Melbourne Royal :rofl:

If you know of anyone WITH KC and they are taking the dogs that are not coughing, please please dont let them do it!! they are all exposed!! :rofl:

I have a feeling that quite a few will come down with KC after the Royal has been and gone casue of course there are plenty who this rule does not apply sadly :o

Im so sorry for those who had on FB they are unable to go now :(

Here here!! Some people are so ignorant when it is very obvious their dogs have KC at a show. They ruin it for everyone else.

Thanks MM. Not sure if people will ever listen, but you can only try :laugh:

I am very disappointed. This would have been Pippa's last royal, and I was getting really excited about showing Gwen in the Puppy class :thumbsup: .

I know there is always another dog show, but I was really really looking forward to this one.

It bloody sucks to have it, we've been through it once this year. Lucky for us, it was a local outbreak and we contracted it after a triple show and did not infect anyone else that we know of.

I'd like to think that people will listen to your plead but I'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears , as there are plenty who just don't give a shit.

We quarantined ourselves and sat at home for 6 weeks, to ensure the health of those we would later come into contact with.

There have been alot of dogs at shows recently in Vic with very bad diorreah (spelt wrongly ?) - I was watching mine very closely after East Gippsland where it was rampant and this weekend past, thankfully no issue but that should be fun at the Royal if those infected take it there, especially with the wonderful toileting area they have for the dogs which never gets washed down :laugh:.

A right Royal case of the squits :thumbsup: .

Seriously though - have some consideration for fellow exhibitors and don't take sick dogs to shows. Sooooo glad I didn't bother with the Royal this year.

One of mine picked up KC early June at Sporting Terrier Shows. It went through the entire household and I had nearly two and a half months off showing the dogs which was pain in the butt. It is beyond me that people are so desperate to go to a show that they risk other peoples' dogs. Very selfish and inconsiderate. The only upside is I find those who have had a bad dose, rarely are ever afflicted again but I could have done without the experience.

There have been alot of dogs at shows recently in Vic with very bad diorreah (spelt wrongly ?) - I was watching mine very closely after East Gippsland where it was rampant and this weekend past, thankfully no issue but that should be fun at the Royal if those infected take it there, especially with the wonderful toileting area they have for the dogs which never gets washed down :laugh:.

A right Royal case of the squits :thumbsup: .

Seriously though - have some consideration for fellow exhibitors and don't take sick dogs to shows. Sooooo glad I didn't bother with the Royal this year.

Was it? Fortunately no issues for my two after Bairnsdale. :o

I am sure not every one takes a sick dog to a show on purpose. Sure there may be the odd one who couldn't care less, but if the dog is fit and well that morning how is anyone to know the dog is incubating something? If you haven't heard your dog cough, no other dogs are coughing, all seem well, you go to the show. It's not until you get home and the dog starts coughing that you are any the wiser.

And no I haven't had that happen to me - yet, but I am sure others have.

I am sure not every one takes a sick dog to a show on purpose. Sure there may be the odd one who couldn't care less, but if the dog is fit and well that morning how is anyone to know the dog is incubating something? If you haven't heard your dog cough, no other dogs are coughing, all seem well, you go to the show. It's not until you get home and the dog starts coughing that you are any the wiser.

And no I haven't had that happen to me - yet, but I am sure others have.

Several years ago we headed off to a show a couple of hours drive north, by lunch time the first day my boy starting coughing, I pulled him from the ring and headed off home but I had no idea he was going to start coughing that day!

I am so sorry you will miss the Royal Weis :champagne: that really sucks

We bought it back from Condo and my guys have been at home since then except to go to the vet

It means Daire wont be going to the Royal or be ready for the specialty at the end of October which really sucks

Hope they dont get it too badly

Thanks Flaves. I've only heard Gwen cough once this morning, nothing since. I'm hoping thats a sign of it not being so bad. Only time will tell I guess.

I'm not having a go at someone who takes a dog to the show without knowing, it's probebly exactly what I did on the weekend! But I have heard so many people talking about dogs coughing at shows and the owners knowing and not caring, and there have been a few people who say they have dogs at home with KC, yet they bring the ones who are not coughing to the show. These are the people who need to have a really hard think about what is more important to them :champagne:

I am so sorry you will miss the Royal Weis :laugh: that really sucks

We bought it back from Condo and my guys have been at home since then except to go to the vet

It means Daire wont be going to the Royal or be ready for the specialty at the end of October which really sucks

What a bummer Flaves. Did not realize he had it.

No we do not have KC.

I have looked on the VCA rules & regs pages & also the ANKC site and there are no definate time frames as to how long a dog must be quarantined after showing the first symptom.I have asked several vets and each one suggested keeping the dog/s home for different length of times.

One said two weeks after they have stopped couging then they can go back to parks & shows etc.

I understand that if they got a severe case then it may take longer to get back to normal health, energy level etc.

If you got it in Aug Flaves and he has now stopped coughing couldn't go the speciality in October? Thats a four week time frame.

BB

I am so sorry you will miss the Royal Weis :cry: that really sucks

Well Gwen hasn't coughed in over 24hrs so I don't know whats going on :cry: . I've never had them cough for 2 days then stop completly. Hopefully this means she won't pass it on to the other dogs at home.

Edited by weisnjac

My fella had KC and I pulled him from a few trials , sm1 said to me oh if he's not cough much just keep him away from ppl :cry: not only do I think it is wrong to do that, but If i am sick I would not want to run round all day , so why should the dog , needs to be home a get over it i feel anyway

Well Gwen hasn't coughed in over 24hrs so I don't know whats going on :cry: . I've never had them cough for 2 days then stop completly. Hopefully this means she won't pass it on to the other dogs at home.

Could she have had a throat irritation rather than Kennel Cough?! Casey had one earlier this year, went into a panic about KC but turns out she scratched her esophagous or something like that and didn't have a virus.

Maybe she just had a cold.

My sisters 2 cavs had cold about 3 months go. Coughed if they swallowed mucous but def was not kennel cough.