Skinny Whippet!

jazawayaya

I think she looks just like a whippet should. My whippet was just as you describe yours with the kibble at that age. She would sometimes go a couple of days without. It was only when she got a bit older & after a holiday at the boarding kennels that she decided kibble was there to be treated as serious food. I'm sure if she was hungry she would eat it. Everyone tells you how thin your whippet is but that is just how they are designed. If people stop telling you that then you need to worry because they will be too fat.

Just enjoy her. She looks happy and healthy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She looks lean to me, but certainly not skinny.

I am going to get a shirt that says "no my dog is not skinny yours is just fat"! That would be because the comments are wearing a little thin after nearly 3 years!

Anyway back on track :laugh:

If you have a recent picture of her standing I would like to see one, but no drama if not.

This is what I personally would do.

Put her on raw food and feed no dry food

or change her dry food to a puppy formula due to the fct it is more calorie dense.

Add some raw ingredeints such as chicken mince or any other things you like and her tummy tolerates. I also feed mine sardines, beef, yoghurt, cream cheese, egg rarely as they get very stinky bottoms!

Give at least two meals per day. Mix it all together well. Put her food down for 20 minutes absolute maximum and remove it. Do not leave any other food out to graze on.

Some times if there is dry food all the time they get into a habit of grazing. This can mean they either get over weight, or they never eat a proper meal and do not eat enough as they are picking just a few here and there.

It can be helpful if they will eat some dry food so if you wish for her too then stick with it.

If she is otherwise healthy she will not allow herself to starve to death. Creating a good feeding routine (ie food down for a set amount of time) usually helps reduce any problems with fussy eating (there are always exceptions!) You could give her two meals of mixed meat and dry and then a bone of some sort for a third meal.

Rommi was lean as a young pup, now at 2 and a half years of age there are no problems with her maintaining weight and occasionally she gets a little more cover than I would like so I cut her back until she has dropped it off.

Also some Whippet lines can always look a bit on the lean side till they grow a bit more.

I personally like all my pups well covered but not fat.

I don't feed high protein foods either.

I prefer to grow them slowly.

But then I have a slow maturing lines.

Also some Whippet lines can always look a bit on the lean side till they grow a bit more.

WARNING - *Off Topic*

What do your lines go back to Oakway. I've got a double up on Khabaray Hugo Boss (lots of Hillsdown/Nevedith there) and I'm told that line is very late developing. It sure seems to be the case.

Edited by poodlefan

Is she as skinny as this?

4180647780_33a80a365b_z.jpg

I cared for this little dog over Christmas and as you can see she was dreadfully thin. She was an extremely fussy eater and didn't like what her owners were giving her and preferred to go hungry.

I got about 2.5 kilos onto her while she was with me but it took a bit of work, plus I had the advantage of competition feeding which her owners didn't.

I changed the dry food they were giving her as well as offering the cooked loaf I make for my dogs. After I'd got her to eat that I fed her a chicken wing which she loved. I only offered it last though, so she'd already have eaten the other stuff first.

with your girl dont worry about getting minced carcasses, give them whole, she will crunch them up.

some lines of whippets can be very thin for about the first 2.5 years, I had one here like that but she's normal now. The little one I've pictured is actually a half sister to my once skinny girl so I think with her, it's a combination of being pre-disposed to being skinny plus not liking the food her owners were giving.

I should add, that skinny little girl was incredibly active and lively, I truly dont know where she got the energy from but apart from looking like a hatrack I think she was basically healthy.

Edited by Kirislin

WARNING - *Off Topic*

What do your lines go back to Oakway. I've got a double up on Khabaray Hugo Boss (lots of Hillsdown/Nevedith there) and I'm told that line is very late developing. It sure seems to be the case.

Also warning off topic.

Please take this as a joke that is the way it is meant to be.

Oakway goes back to Oakway for so many generations now. LOL.

I started with the Parkette bitch Ch Parkette Presteena as my foundation bitch.

She was of English breeding Oakbark and Waycross.

Happy to share any information that my be helpful. :thumbsup:

Everything I have comes from this one great bitch.

I have used outside males but little or no infusion of female lines other than those associated with male lines.

Yes , I have male infusions of Martinique, Hugo Boss and Nevedith through sons of these great dogs.

I'm having the same issue with a border collie pup. It is driving me nuts. She is also eating her kibble one piece at a time and is ribby. Luckily she has a lot of coat so you can't see the bones! She chomps bones ok. She will also only eat a fairly small amount in one sitting. Pretty much only wants raw stuff. Which is funny as her breeder just changed from total raw feeding to feeding some kibble with the pups!

I was feeding EP too and have just changed to Nutro. That is being eaten with a bit more gusto.

Also warning off topic.

Happy to share any information that my be helpful. :eek:

I have used outside males but little or no infusion of female lines other than those associated with male lines.

Yes , I have male infusions of Martinique, Hugo Boss and Nevedith through sons of these great dogs.

also off topic, my darling Kibie has Oakway bloodlines :D

Also warning off topic.

Happy to share any information that my be helpful. :)

also off topic, my darling Kibie has Oakway bloodlines :)

Good on Kirislin, you know class. :):birthday:

Goodness Kirislin no! She is nowhere near as skinny as that! I would be taking her to the vet and feeding her blocks of cheese and big macs if that was the case! hahah but seriously the poor little thing! glad you fixed her up :D

I was having a really good look/ feel of her last night and after reading all this am sure she is fine ;) She gets plenty of food and I am increasing it with more raw food from now on...

I dont think she has much mucel tone :-S

Here are some recent pics-

So you can see her ribs usually when she is like this-

Banjo196.jpg

Banjo167.jpg

This is the day we got her

Banjo078.jpg

I cant find one of her standing up recently!

Anyway what I will go is mix in the chicken mince and make her meals larger... if no improvement will try switching her kibble....

I really should just start feeding raw! *goes off to read the raw section*

There's nothing wrong with her, she looks fine for her age. You won't get muscle tone on a puppy

Need to get one of these :laugh:

http://www.stickdog.ca/

Love it love it love it! :D I predict a rush in orders from all us sighthound people :laugh:

I don't mind educating the public, but I'm sure we all know those certain individuals who no matter what we say to them, insist that our hounds are poor starving things :rofl:

On topic, Jazawayaya your girl looks in great condition! :thumbsup:

I don't mind educating the public, but I'm sure we all know those certain individuals who no matter what we say to them, insist that our hounds are poor starving things :D

Love the T-shirt!!

Judging by the way Howard panhandles for treats, he seems keen to perpetuate that image. :thumbsup:

He scored a whole hot dog at a show recently.

Edited by poodlefan

The site says that Paypal will be available soon, OH told me I definately need to buy one :thumbsup:

From something I was reading the other day, it says a new study has revealed that 40% of dogs in Australia are regarded as overweight or obese. I think that is really sad. The health implications for those dogs (who have no say in how they are kept, but have to deal with the fall out) is huge.

Rommi always acts like she is dying of starvation as well. Doesn't help the image at all.

As much as I like to educate people sometimes they don't want to listen. I find is amusing that they are quite often holding the lease of what can only be described as a coffee table with legs.

Yep my dogs unhealthy and your isn't!

Oh and we need more photos of your lovely girl over in the Whippet thread please :)

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

• 4 weeks later...
I dont think she has much mucel tone :-S

Here are some recent pics-

So you can see her ribs usually when she is like this-

Banjo196.jpg

Banjo167.jpg

This is the day we got her

Banjo078.jpg

I cant find one of her standing up recently!

Anyway what I will go is mix in the chicken mince and make her meals larger... if no improvement will try switching her kibble....

I really should just start feeding raw! *goes off to read the raw section*

hi I agree with poodlefan she looks good I have a male whippet he is nearly 3 yrs, show standard say the last two ribs should be just visiable if you are still concerned contact the whippet club in your state :thumbsup:

She looks fine to me.

Phewwwww....I was expecting to see a walking hat rack. :dancingelephant:

this little girl looks great we rescued 2 Rotties that looked worse than a whippet/greyhound and one was pregnant, we hit panic stations as fast as the bitch turned up,when we saw her condition, managed to save mum & 14 pups. I went 4 days straight with no sleep feeding & rotating the pups around the clock, our vets thought we did a great job keeping them all alive :dancingelephant::thumbsup: