Do Dogs And Other Animals Have Souls?

Tapferhund

I'm currently writing an essay on the Buddhist concept of "self as a convenient designator". Their argument that "self" doesn't exist is quite compelling, even with my distaste for ontological arguments. I don't even know if anything but a bag of meat and neurons is typing this right now, but whatever the great bluesmen call "soul" definitely exists and my dogs have plenty of that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Catholic dogs have souls :) ...

Do dogs go to Heaven?

Quite a debate between two churches!

This is literally a 'church signs' debate, being played out in a southern town, between the Catholic church and a (fundamentalist) Presbyterian church that face each other across a street. From top to bottom you will see the response and counter-response over time.

The Catholics are displaying a much better sense of humor! You get the impression that the Presbyterians are actually taking this seriously!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

:laugh: Love it. I wonder if it was real?

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

Ahh, ok.

I don't believe in anything going to live on, but can accept that many do. I think more of the physical changes that occur and that is why they look different. I also believe that the only thing that lives on is memories of those who knew the living person or animal. I guess that is why I can't see the significance, perosnally, of dog's having souls.

I feel very sad for you Anne :)

:laugh: Why the hell would you feel sad for me. What an illogical and bizarre comment to make.

It's something people will never agree on. If you believe there is a god/soul that goes on after death, you will feel sorry for the people who can't see this truth. If you don't believe in it, you will feel sorry for the people who have to believe in fairy tales in order to cope with life.

Either way, telling the other group you feel sorry for them is only going to make them feel patronised, since they don't pity themselves!

Felix is right that you can't definitively prove god exists, you can't definitively prove s/he doesn't. If you believe god exists, you will interpret everything you see or read as evidence for his/her existence, since you already "know" you are correct. If you don't believe god exists, you will see the flaws in the evidence, since nothing short of god personally appearing to you will be enough proof of his/her existence.

Just the same as with ESP, or faith healing, or aliens coming to earth & making crop circles. :(

Actually, I don't feel sorry for anyone who believes anything either way. I simply don't understand some beliefs in all honesty, but I don't diss people who believe in different things.

Your beliefs are formed in a variety of ways and are there because they resonate with each individual on some level.

I don't really care if people think I am wrong, sad or whatever because I believe you die, are buried and are eaten by bugs and grubs and your memory lives on in other people. End of story. I am quite happy and comfortable with that belief. :love: It doesn't mean that I can't or don't give or receive love or anything else and to even try to project that idea that I am somehow 'sad' is pathetic. :laugh:

I can well understand why people believe in different gods and religions and I have personally seen that belief help many people in wonderous ways. I say good on them. I expect that others will also respect that my beliefs also keep me happy and help me in wonderous ways. Afterall, I'd hardly say that anyone could tell me I had a miserable life, in fact, I feel I am so totally blessed with a wonderful and rich life. What is there to be sad about? :)

I have had plenty of weird experiences that tell there is more going on than some people choose to believe.

No one can claim to have all the answers.

All that tells me in is that there is a lot we will likely never understand,but its pretty cool anyway.

I agree... and I do have a strong faith and belief in God.. but there are a lot of people who don't believe in miracles either.

I also had a strong faith in God and the belief that animals have a soul. I don't know whether it was a case of wishful thinking and liking the idea of feeling like it all doesn't end with our passing and with the passing of our beloved pets. Christianity discourages the notion that animals have a soul, in fact it clearly stipulates that animals do NOT have a soul. A part of me will always have a degree of faith but seeing that the world has existed for millions of years and all kinds of tragedies have taken place over the centuries....I guess I am just not so sure anymore. My common sense tells me that a God of love would have stopped the suffering a long long time ago. It is hard to accept that animals may not have a soul so I live day to day with the hope that maybe just maybe they do and that one day I may be reunited with all of my much loved and departed pets.

I think souls exist.

When my old beagle was euthanised, lying on the mat he looked the same as he always did...but something was missing.

Obviously, life was missing, but so was something else, something uniquely Charley.

I know exactly what you mean HeavyPaws - and have experienced too many times in the last 12 months :laugh:

I do not believe in God, but am a very spiritual person. Im more of a Pagan, Mother Nature type person.

I believe that dogs and all animals have a soul, to me it has never been a maybe or could be thing. Just a given!

I dont understand how some dont believe - and I dont mean that in a patronising way, but a genuine non understanding way. But I guess they feel the same about me believing. Perhaps someone could explain "how" they dont believe animals dont have a soul???

And no, Im not being a smartarse, just curious!I get how black and white it is from my point of view and would like to see it from the other side...

I think souls exist.

When my old beagle was euthanised, lying on the mat he looked the same as he always did...but something was missing.

Obviously, life was missing, but so was something else, something uniquely Charley.

I know exactly what you mean HeavyPaws - and have experienced too many times in the last 12 months :crazy:

I do not believe in God, but am a very spiritual person. Im more of a Pagan, Mother Nature type person.

I believe that dogs and all animals have a soul, to me it has never been a maybe or could be thing. Just a given!

I dont understand how some dont believe - and I dont mean that in a patronising way, but a genuine non understanding way. But I guess they feel the same about me believing. Perhaps someone could explain "how" they dont believe animals dont have a soul???

And no, Im not being a smartarse, just curious!I get how black and white it is from my point of view and would like to see it from the other side...

I did explain (or so I thought) above. Just as it is hard I would think fo rme to grasp your concept of why, I expect that you will find it hard to grasp mine...but I'll give it another try. :laugh:

I view a living creature/being as being alive. I view a dead creature/being as being dead. I believe that while a person (or animal) is living, their heart is beating, their brain is developing and electrical impulses are darting about, their skin is pink from oxgen, their blood pulses through their veins. All the things you'd also believe in. The difference is though when they die, the body begins to break down and will eventually distengrate. The brain does the same. The fluid drains away. The electrical impulses cease. The oxygen is not pumped around. End of story.

I've lost both my parents and countless animals, other relatives, friends and associates. The only reason they live on is because my memory still contains snippets of them. The pictures I have in albums also help my brain retain memories of them. That is all. I can't conceptualise a 'soul' that lives on. I find it puzzling to be fair.

I think souls exist.

I know exactly what you mean HeavyPaws - and have experienced too many times in the last 12 months :)

I did explain (or so I thought) above. Just as it is hard I would think fo rme to grasp your concept of why, I expect that you will find it hard to grasp mine...but I'll give it another try. :laugh:

I view a living creature/being as being alive. I view a dead creature/being as being dead. I believe that while a person (or animal) is living, their heart is beating, their brain is developing and electrical impulses are darting about, their skin is pink from oxgen, their blood pulses through their veins. All the things you'd also believe in. The difference is though when they die, the body begins to break down and will eventually distengrate. The brain does the same. The fluid drains away. The electrical impulses cease. The oxygen is not pumped around. End of story.

I've lost both my parents and countless animals, other relatives, friends and associates. The only reason they live on is because my memory still contains snippets of them. The pictures I have in albums also help my brain retain memories of them. That is all. I can't conceptualise a 'soul' that lives on. I find it puzzling to be fair.

:crazy: yeh, sorry Anne - my brains not working very well atm!!

Well I agree with what you say above, the bolded areas, completely. I too have been through it countless times. And although Im very spiritual in naature, Im also very scientifically minded.

I dont see a difference when they die though - I see exactly what you see, decomposition etc..But I also see other differences in "whats left" I guess. What animated that particular animal has gone, their character, their individuality.....Whats left is just a husk, a shell, a body.

Maybe its just alot simpler than what Im trying to understand - and it is purely belief or not in the soul.....

Thanks for re-explaining what you believe, appreciate it :D

I think souls exist.

I know exactly what you mean HeavyPaws - and have experienced too many times in the last 12 months :D

:laugh: yeh, sorry Anne - my brains not working very well atm!!

Well I agree with what you say above, the bolded areas, completely. I too have been through it countless times. And although Im very spiritual in naature, Im also very scientifically minded.

I dont see a difference when they die though - I see exactly what you see, decomposition etc..But I also see other differences in "whats left" I guess. What animated that particular animal has gone, their character, their individuality.....Whats left is just a husk, a shell, a body.

Maybe its just alot simpler than what Im trying to understand - and it is purely belief or not in the soul.....

Thanks for re-explaining what you believe, appreciate it :laugh:

And that is why spirituality is such an individual thing because it isn't a science, it is a belief system. No-one can be right or wrong with it.

I am not overly scientific in my thought either, in fact, I firmly believe that if you are positive all the time you attract positive people and events in your life. I believe in energy of living people and the enrgy you give off predicts your life. There is no science to it. It is a belief, just as your belief of a soul.

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

This is the best post I've ever seen on DOL :)

You've explained exactly how it was for us when our darling Shiva was given her wings earlier this year. I absolutely believe that this special girl had a soul. I also absolutely believe that I WILL see her again someday. Nothing anybody says will ever convince me to believe otherwise. She was far to special to be just "gone" :)