Best Surprise On My Doorstep

HeavyPaws

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really really sorry to bring a shadow into this wonderful thread. My initial response was the same as everyone else's also ..... ie How lovely.

BUT .... please be careful. This world is full of cookes :thanks: and you should be vigilant until you know who this person is and whether this person is honest and genuine in his/her intentions.

Again - I feel dreadful for being so *dark* on something that is so otherwise lovely and potentially beautiful as far as gestures go. But I'd equally hate myself if I didn't utter this note of caution and something happened as a result. It is horrible that the world has become such that we end up suspicious of even the most loveliest of gestures. That I can see something *sinister* is only a small blip on my radar - I really do think there is every chance that someone out there is being honest and appreciative at the smile you bring to his/her face with the memories you and your dog spark when you 'visit'.

I hope it is the real deal and that you get to meet this person and that a genuine friendship might even spark up as a result :laugh:.

Erny, we think the same way. I felt terrible that these sorts of thoughts popped into my head and then I read your post.

I hope this was just a lovely gesture but I'm still not trusting enough to feed anything to my dogs I don't know where it come from. How paranoid am I. Keep the nice feeling but I wouldn't feed the goodies to my dog but thats just me

Cheers

I'm glad you posted Erny, my thoughts were the same and I've been thinking about how to word a post like yours.

Heavypaws, I'm glad you'll approach this with a an open and cautious mind.

Sad that we have to consider bad things, and I hope with all my heart that the gift is from a sincere and lovely dog lover.

fifi

Thank you for adding that Erny, I appreciate it. :thanks:

I'm cautious anyway so I'll be approaching this slowly, but I would like to thank them for the gifts at least.

I'll be open for any creepiness however.

Thank you. Much. Both yourself and Rotts4ever and Fifi. I felt miserable at posting what I did - what a real misery I must sound like. Honestly - I don't go around thinking the world will end tomorrow, gloom, doom. So thank you for taking it as it was meant to be - just a 'motherly' precaution, I guess. Cheers - I feel better knowing that you're aware and not likely to go in completely gullible :rofl:. And to Rotts4ver and Fifi for letting me know I'm not the only one who has these fleeting albeit worrisome thoughts. And Rotts - I thought the same thing regards the dog treats. :laugh:

Edited by Erny

The treats are still in their full packaging and don't show any signs of having been opened. Should I feed them or throw them? Maybe break a tiny bit off the emu stick and see if there's any reaction?

There was no reaction to the toys apart from Mr Hotdog already gone to Squeaky Toy Heaven. I washed them off and squirted hot water out of them to clear them out in case.

Erny and Fifi , this goes for both of you- I've read your posts before and they always contain sound advice and well thought out responses. If the post had been 'OMG what a weirdo don't ever talk to them' I would have dismissed it as rude, but the way it was put wasn't miserable at all.

There is nothing miserable about thinking in the way of safety. Imagine if you'd kept the post to yourself, and I fed her un packaged treats and she died of poisoning.

Giving somebody advice about the health and welfare of them and their dogs when you clearly know what you're talking about is a good thing.

It's more miserable to ignore a gut feeling just because it isn't your problem.

If you are worried about feeding the treats then give them a miss, better to be safe than sorry.

I probably wouldn't worry too much if they are in the packaging and there are no holes or anything (I'd check ALL over the packaging)

Save one of the squeeky toys to take to the park so the anonymous gift giver can see that you appreciated them.

Wow, that truly brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely gesture. Congrats to you too for being such a responsible dog owner. :rofl:

eta: I've just finished reading the thread. How sad that we now have to be so paranoid : ( I wouldn't feed them 'just in case', Erny's right.

Edited by Clyde

Go to the park and look around you will probably find it is a rather immobile elderly person who sits at their window watching you and your Dane have fun. They probably got their family or home help to put the box on your doorstep.

I think it is a lovely thought by the giver and yes you need to be cautious with some people, I wnat to be positive and think is someone who you make their day everyday you walk your dog and they can watch you.

I to have to agree with Erny ,yes it appears a lovley thought & i trust that is so ,but a friend of mines 3 dogs were Baited by a so called friendly giver of treats .

Sad ,as has been said ,but not everyone is as they appear .

Yes, I would never have thought that they could be baited (I must be so naive!), so I'm glad someone bought it up. Perhaps at the least you could try to meet the person first before feeding the treats, see if they look trustworthy?

I'm not suggesting this as a sensible course of action, but if I'm being honest I have to admit that I'd be tempted to lick them myself to see if they tasted OK. :rofl: Since I can't think of many commonly available toxins that you could bait a treat with that can't be seen or tasted.

If it's genuine, it's a very lovely gesture!

Edited by Staranais

What a lovely surprise!

I am sure it is all very innocent and expect that you may make a new friend out of this fellow dog lover.

Unfortunately we do need to treat things with caution these days, such a sad fact. I would hold of feeding the goodies until you have a chance to meet your fellow dog admirer and get a gut feeling about them.

You will have update us if you get to meet the person!