Cooked Chicken Bone Argh!

mackiemad

so the OH left a cooked chicken drumstick on a side table form his lunch and forgot to put it in the bin. i heard something (working from home) suspicious and walked in only to find my mini schnauzer polishing it off. :cheer:

should i make him vomit it up? (what would i use?)

or do i wait and monitor him to see if there is an issue and take him to the vet should one arise?

that OH will be getting a mouthful from me tonight, i tell you what :)

so the OH left a cooked chicken drumstick on a side table form his lunch and forgot to put it in the bin. i heard something (working from home) suspicious and walked in only to find my mini schnauzer polishing it off. :cheer:

should i make him vomit it up? (what would i use?)

or do i wait and monitor him to see if there is an issue and take him to the vet should one arise?

that OH will be getting a mouthful from me tonight, i tell you what :)

Doh! I would probably take him to the vet so they could make him throw it up... but I'm a little paranoid, he'll probably be fine. They use 'lectric crystals' from memory, (Zander swallowed a sock once!).

There is a slight risk with a chicken bone that it could pierce something on the way back up, so it might be best to have that vomit supervised by the vet.

There are a bunch of different ways of getting a dog to vomit - some don't always work on a given dog.

My dog has had the morphine thing and antidote - worked but she was very groggy for a long time after.

She's had a single granule of "washing soda crystal", which also worked - to retrieve glad wrap sandwich (not chicken bones). And she was much more perky after.

And one time I thought she'd eaten some plastic peg - which had caused problems on the way through last time... anyway, I fed her about a table spoon of very salty (like sea water) down the hatch and that made her vomit successfully too, though it turned out she had only munched the peg not swallowed any. However - she hasn't touched any pegs since - and I hope she remembers that. Eating pegs is bad.

The salt water trick was a bit scary because she coughed a lot after and eventually I flushed her mouth out with fresh water. I will be more careful with how I give it to her next time. I thought you needed a lot like two cups but a tablespoon full was more than enough. So next time I will dose one teaspoonful at a time.

Bondi vet got a dog in that had swalllowed the owner's g-string... and they wired that dog up for possible surgery if it choked on the g-string on the way back - so that's also a risk. But I think I'd just reach down my dog's throat and pull the whatever out at that point. She's good that way.

Has anyone noticed that the cooked chook bones bought from the butcher are not as hard and brittle as they used to be years ago. I have noticed that even the bones on a raw wing was softer than the bones on the chooks we used to kill on the farm. perhaps it is the hot water they plunge them in to remove the feathers, or perhaps it is because they have been in cages so have had no exercise.

One of my girls got into the rubbish one day and consumed the entire contents of a left over roast chicken, entirely my fault as I put her in the shed to have her tea forgetting I had popped the rubbish bag out there to be put in the bin. initially I freaked out but knowing how well she chews stuff up I crossed fingers and watched her closely and she was fine. I think it would be a bigger concern if the dog guts the bones whole. Anyway how's your dog today any developments?

If that happens here (or should I say WHEN) I just give some psyllium husk, soaked for 10 minutes .. this provides a lovely gel to help cusion any sharp bits on the way thru (reccommended by a vet years ago)

Lots of dogs survive all their lives crunching up cooked bones.... but it has some risk, like so many other things.Providing he chewed it well , there should not be any trouble ... It's a worry always when they do things like that , isn't it?

:laugh:

eating chickens are not in cages, they roam a massive shed. bones are soft because chickens are very young when slaughtered and grow so fast

I didn't know that Nekhbet...now I do! :laugh: The ones we ate on the farm were usually the spare roosters and they were usually a year or so old...just beginning to give the hens grief by chasing them around the paddock. Our big Sussex rooster was worn to a frazzle trying to chase off the young upstarts!

theyre intensively reared and only a couple of months old at slaughter due to being a fast growing breed. No baby can lay down that much calcium to keep up with bone growth hence many cannot walk under their own weight in the sheds. Also why chicken is so bland these days too.

nekhbet-you've hit on one of my serious bugbears of animal law in australia. we have a more american system which has a COE, whereas in europe (not so much in england i think?) they have differnt laws stating what is required by different kinds of chicken etc. so we only have organic that has to certfied, whereas all of their level, organic, 'free range' (just bigger sheds) and intensive farms all have to be signed off.

anyhoo, he ate his dinner like a monster (something he doesn't always do). was fine last night and positively bouncing off the walls even after our walk this morning. seriously, he was running up and down the hallway, then he's poke his little head into my study and then race off again. generally too much frivolity for me to concentrate so we went for a really really long walk at lunchtime and did some training at the dog park and then a nice long wlak home again. much more chilled now.

so all in all, i'd say he's feeling pretty swell, so swell that i think he's trying to tell me that cooked chicken bones are awesome, and that please mum, can't i have more? :laugh: