My 15 Week Old Pup Was Attacked

jessie86

Hi,

I had the most horrible end to a beautiful day today and am still completely shaken up.

My beautiful 15 week old puppy was nearly taken from me today in what could have been a horror story.

My boyfriend and I were at a secluded beach with a friend who wanted to do a photo shoot with the two of us and our puppy.

We had spent a whole day at the beach with him and he had the time of his life.

As we were jogging on the sand with our pup and the photographer was taking photos, two massive bullmastiff's came up and literally started attacking our pup. I have nothing against the breed, my friend has one and we love him to pieces, but these two dogs looked like they were on steroids, they were huge and muscly and sinewy and clearly vicious.

Less than a metre from us, we turned and then both were on top of him snapping and tramping him, our Pup made this horrible noise that I have never heard a dog make in my entire life, it took 3 big guys to get these dogs off our little puppy, and I literally had to scoop him up and run away with him.

He was absolutely hysterical and traumatized and it took a good few minutes to calm him down, as I was running, in my head I thought, he's dead, he's bleeding, we've lost our pup, and then frantically searched all over his body, but amazingly he is okay, and only had a scratch under his eye, and a few nicks near his ear.

I was in tears, and thought this could make the situation worse for our pup, so I calmed down and started playing with him, and ended the day on a happy and high note. I was really worried it would scar him for life from other dogs, but about 15minutes after the attack he happily walked up to another dog to day hello and was confident and happy as per usual.

To make matters worse, these two huge dogs, who were literally hunting him in a pack, and if we had been any later would have caused real damage, were completely off the leash with only 3 young girls all under 14 looking after them. When they attacked, the girls were swimming in the water, and had no control over the dogs, the photographer literally had to kick one of them off our puppy.

It really angered me that their owners (most probably the girls parents) would let them take those big dogs alone, the girl even admitted that they had done this before.

I'm so furious with myself that I didn't get their details, but suffice to say I will never return to that beach for a very long time.

Thought I would post this for a few reasons -

Firstly, does anyone have any advice? Did i do the right thing by picking him up? At 15 weeks will he always remember this?

Secondly, we are taking him to the vet just for a check up, but are there any signs I should look out before then as it's in a day time.

and lastly this really taught me a HUGE lesson, that my pup is a target when we are out in public for a lot of dogs, I realised i need to remember that a lot of dogs don't like puppies running, and need to be more careful where we take him, however it was just one of those freak situations.

Thanks for reading, I am still so upset and shakey just thinking about it.

xxx

Jessie - I'm so sorry you had such a horrible thing happen when you were having such a fabulous day with your puppy. I can well imagine how you felt. I would have been spitting chips!!!

I would report it even though you don't know who the owners are. If they go out again with only those young girls "controlling" them someone else's puppy/dog/child might be the next victim and not so lucky. Also - if they go to that beach regularly - they will be able to find out who the parents are.

It's not right that YOU should have to stop going there while these two dogs and their irresponsible absent owners get to treat the beach like their personal playground.

I hope the pup is allright. As for picking the puppy up - I don't see that you could have done anything else. I certainly would have picked him up and got him out of there. What did the dogs do when you picked him up???

He is probably young enough to move on from this fairly easily - especially given he played okay with a dog later. It was a good move to play with him and make it all end positively I reckon!

I wouldnt worry too much - and be careful not to project your own anxiety at the puppy around other dogs. He will pick up on it.

Have a good stiff drink or a nice hot chocolate (depending on your preference) and hugs to you and the pup.

I completely feel for you. I had two bullmastif dogs attack my Pup when he was 16 weeks old. Luckily no physical injury thank god. It's the most horrible experience.

I had a lovely lady with her boxer there when it happened and she kindly let my guy have a play with her dog to get his confidence up straight after the incident.

I have since found Though that my dog is now afraid if dogs bark at him and is petrified if more than one dog trys to play with him while he's off leash ( scared to the point of wetting himself which just brakes my heart to see ). But he is slowly getting his confidence back. He can now play with two dogs if he meets them one at a time first :grouphug: ( strangely he is super confident whilst on leash and will happily greet 5 or more dogs at once..... Go figure lol)

I think the best advice I can offer is try to ignore any behaviour like fear or excessive submission. Aknowledging it seems to reinforce the behaviour. I found, as hard as it was watching my guy cower when a dog barked at him, i just had to ignore the unwanted behaviour and praise any confident behaviour he offered.

Go out pretending like nothing has ever happened and your pup will pick up your energy. :cry:

All the best and give your pup lots of cuddles.

What a dreadful experience. I would certainly recommend reporting the attack as they may be regulars to that beach, if the girls said they have been there before.

Please may I ask what beach are you talking about so as others may avoid it.

This happened a few years ago at Red Rock on the NSW north coast. An old GSD which his owners walked religiously twice a day & was a real local icon was attacked by, I think, a bull mastiff & was lucky to survive.

How scary! You should report it , just so there is a record .

:)

.Hopefully the vet didn't find any injuries , and that you all slept well last night :laugh: You did well to end the time playing etc :D

However those dogs weren't out to kill your pup, if they were it would have been dead before you could even get there. Prey drive kicked in when they rumbled your pup and it started squealing as pups do.

I tend to agree here ..

Hi,

I had the most horrible end to a beautiful day today and am still completely shaken up.

My beautiful 15 week old puppy was nearly taken from me today in what could have been a horror story.

My boyfriend and I were at a secluded beach with a friend who wanted to do a photo shoot with the two of us and our puppy.

We had spent a whole day at the beach with him and he had the time of his life.

As we were jogging on the sand with our pup and the photographer was taking photos, two massive bullmastiff's came up and literally started attacking our pup. I have nothing against the breed, my friend has one and we love him to pieces, but these two dogs looked like they were on steroids, they were huge and muscly and sinewy and clearly vicious.

Less than a metre from us, we turned and then both were on top of him snapping and tramping him, our Pup made this horrible noise that I have never heard a dog make in my entire life, it took 3 big guys to get these dogs off our little puppy, and I literally had to scoop him up and run away with him.

He was absolutely hysterical and traumatized and it took a good few minutes to calm him down, as I was running, in my head I thought, he's dead, he's bleeding, we've lost our pup, and then frantically searched all over his body, but amazingly he is okay, and only had a scratch under his eye, and a few nicks near his ear.

I was in tears, and thought this could make the situation worse for our pup, so I calmed down and started playing with him, and ended the day on a happy and high note. I was really worried it would scar him for life from other dogs, but about 15minutes after the attack he happily walked up to another dog to day hello and was confident and happy as per usual.

To make matters worse, these two huge dogs, who were literally hunting him in a pack, and if we had been any later would have caused real damage, were completely off the leash with only 3 young girls all under 14 looking after them. When they attacked, the girls were swimming in the water, and had no control over the dogs, the photographer literally had to kick one of them off our puppy.

It really angered me that their owners (most probably the girls parents) would let them take those big dogs alone, the girl even admitted that they had done this before.

I'm so furious with myself that I didn't get their details, but suffice to say I will never return to that beach for a very long time.

Thought I would post this for a few reasons -

Firstly, does anyone have any advice? Did i do the right thing by picking him up? At 15 weeks will he always remember this?

Secondly, we are taking him to the vet just for a check up, but are there any signs I should look out before then as it's in a day time.

and lastly this really taught me a HUGE lesson, that my pup is a target when we are out in public for a lot of dogs, I realised i need to remember that a lot of dogs don't like puppies running, and need to be more careful where we take him, however it was just one of those freak situations.

Thanks for reading, I am still so upset and shakey just thinking about it.

xxx

That sounds horrible, I too have a very small puppy and i have had to pick her up off the ground to remove her from some situations.

People often say that you should leave them on the ground to stop them becoming fearful but when you hear your pup start squealing she is already petrified so I would rather get her out of there then see what happens.

I think you did the right thing, and if your pup was happy playing with another dog afterwards she will be fine.

Glad she is alright, the other dogs shouldn't have been off leash, especially if they have done this before.

You poor thing!! how horrible, especially being a pup makes it hard. I would have done the same in picking pup up no matter what.

Yes and I would report it, and if you happen to go back warn others. I always pass on info with anyone I see in my area of issues or incidents (that you get to know of course) it's nice when people warn me about people to watch out for so I am prepared.

Also I'd like to know what beach, cant tell if you're in Syd

Glad everything is alright though

What a dreadful experience. I would certainly recommend reporting the attack as they may be regulars to that beach, if the girls said they have been there before.

Please may I ask what beach are you talking about so as others may avoid it.

This happened a few years ago at Red Rock on the NSW north coast. An old GSD which his owners walked religiously twice a day & was a real local icon was attacked by, I think, a bull mastiff & was lucky to survive.

It was Turrametta Beach, on the Northern Beaches, it's an unpatrolled beach, and in the afternoons a lot of people take their dogs down when it's quiet.

The two dogs were cross mullmastiff's, I've called up the local rangers today!

You poor thing!! how horrible, especially being a pup makes it hard. I would have done the same in picking pup up no matter what.

Yes and I would report it, and if you happen to go back warn others. I always pass on info with anyone I see in my area of issues or incidents (that you get to know of course) it's nice when people warn me about people to watch out for so I am prepared.

Thanks so much everyone, the beach was Turrametta on the Northern Beaches. A lot of local dogs play down there in the afternoon when no one is around, we actually live in Inner Eastern Sydney, and thought a day at the beach would be fun!!!

Jessie - I'm so sorry you had such a horrible thing happen when you were having such a fabulous day with your puppy. I can well imagine how you felt. I would have been spitting chips!!!

I would report it even though you don't know who the owners are. If they go out again with only those young girls "controlling" them someone else's puppy/dog/child might be the next victim and not so lucky. Also - if they go to that beach regularly - they will be able to find out who the parents are.

It's not right that YOU should have to stop going there while these two dogs and their irresponsible absent owners get to treat the beach like their personal playground.

I hope the pup is allright. As for picking the puppy up - I don't see that you could have done anything else. I certainly would have picked him up and got him out of there. What did the dogs do when you picked him up???

He is probably young enough to move on from this fairly easily - especially given he played okay with a dog later. It was a good move to play with him and make it all end positively I reckon!

I wouldnt worry too much - and be careful not to project your own anxiety at the puppy around other dogs. He will pick up on it.

Have a good stiff drink or a nice hot chocolate (depending on your preference) and hugs to you and the pup.

Thanks so much, was a little traumatised last night myself when I was writing my post!!!

A stiff drink is being had today. We took our Pup to the vet today, and he is fine, the scratches on him don't look great but they should heal up in a few days.

He has hurt his little nail however, but that should be okay also.

The vet said we really need to be careful as he is a massive target when we take him out, especially with him being so young.

But we took him to a local dog park today and he was completely fine. I was a little worried but hid my anxiousness, especially when our Pup decided to run up to a pit bull to play ( I ended up calmly picking him up and walking away) and letting him play with dogs that were happy and friendly. The Pitbull coud have been fine but after yesterday I wasn't taking any risks!!!!

Horrible thing to go through. However those dogs weren't out to kill your pup, if they were it would have been dead before you could even get there. Prey drive kicked in when they rumbled your pup and it started squealing as pups do.

I was thinking that myself afterwards but a million dogs have done this to our pup before and he does the typical pup thing of lying on his back and being submissive and licking. But these two dogs were different, it was like they were in a pack, and if we had been a little longer I truly do think we would have lost him, it was lucky it happened just a few metres away from us. It literally took 3 men to pull these two dogs off. I guess by the same token if they wanted to really do serious damage they very easily could have. when the first dog jumped on him it got rough quick, but when the second dog joined in, it very quickly became out of control.

Also as I ran away with our Pup they continued and tried to chase me when I picked him up - luckily my boyfriend yelled and found a stick to deter them and run away.

I completely feel for you. I had two bullmastif dogs attack my Pup when he was 16 weeks old. Luckily no physical injury thank god. It's the most horrible experience.

I had a lovely lady with her boxer there when it happened and she kindly let my guy have a play with her dog to get his confidence up straight after the incident.

I have since found Though that my dog is now afraid if dogs bark at him and is petrified if more than one dog trys to play with him while he's off leash ( scared to the point of wetting himself which just brakes my heart to see ). But he is slowly getting his confidence back. He can now play with two dogs if he meets them one at a time first :cry: ( strangely he is super confident whilst on leash and will happily greet 5 or more dogs at once..... Go figure lol)

I think the best advice I can offer is try to ignore any behaviour like fear or excessive submission. Aknowledging it seems to reinforce the behaviour. I found, as hard as it was watching my guy cower when a dog barked at him, i just had to ignore the unwanted behaviour and praise any confident behaviour he offered.

Go out pretending like nothing has ever happened and your pup will pick up your energy. :rofl:

All the best and give your pup lots of cuddles.

It's so scary isn't it, the after thought of 'what could have happen if we lost him' has completely freaked me out. Today at the dog park he was completely fine, so hopefully he will be okay. We did however walk him with my parents weimeraner Olive, who is 3 and he gets to play with her 3 times a week, so they know each other well, and she is quite protective of him, and wont let him run really fast in the dog park.

ALSO ******Just a word of warning, to anyone that lives in Surry Hills, or walks their dogs in Surry Hills, a PitBull killed a maltese terrier two days ago in Surry Hills. Myself and my neighbours are reporting him to the RSPCA and we have alerted city of sydney council. To make matters worse, the dog is walked on a rope and the owner is not a full quid and has served jail time.

Yep in Sydney, beach was Turrametta on Northern Beaches.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for your kind words and advice and concern. Has really helped!

I was thinking that myself afterwards but a million dogs have done this to our pup before

Wow really?? :cry:

I am sorry you had such a horrible experience, however the fact that your puppy is still alive AND that your boyfriend shouting and waving a stick deterred them suggests that these are badly socialised dogs, not crazed killing machines. YES - if they do this to an older dog with an attitude which refused to submit and fought back then the situation could get really ugly and NO they shouldn't be allowed to do this and certainly shouldn't be in the "control" of 3 young girls.

Phone the local rangers it doesn't matter if you know who owns the dogs or not - they might well know them.

You've just experienced a couple of older dogs roughing up a pup and a bit of prey drive. That was not an attack and the fact that your pups has a few scratches says this. Seriously if they'd meant business he'd have been grabbed by the throat or around the stomach and killed before you could do anything about it.

I do agree that the dogs should have been on leash or under effective control ( certainly not in the hands of minors ) and the incident should not have been allowed to occur in the first place.