Dog Mince - Curious On Your Thoughts!?!

Sunnyflower

Just remembered why I don't get the pet mince from my butchers - they never bloody have any!!!

:confused: That would be annoying!

What is osso bucco?

I get all my raw meaty stuff for dogs from butchers. I have two near here and a mobile butcher who travels around Tassie in a refrigerated van dispensing meat. :rofl:

My dogs get off cuts where possible and ground up chicken frames as well as whole frames and wings from the mobile butcher . I can also pick up free beef bones from the butcher in a little town near here (if there's any left!!!) They also sell Beef tails and ox tails. But I can't feed them that meat too often being dalmatians and prone to stone-forming.

I would like to vary things and give them a bit of lamb - I used to buy them cheap lamb flaps - but it's pretty much impossible to get here these days. My butcher said they don't sell them anymore because (a) hardly anyone buys lamb these days due to expense and (b) if they do kill a sheep they use every last scrap of the meat for people food and will use the flaps etc to make sausages. THe problem is lamb is TOO expensive so they make every bit count.

However, I did manage to scam some lamb bones off them today and pork bones which is rare. The other butchers are finding out if they can get me some turkey necks.

I never buy meat from pet shops and I'm not sure what "premium pet mince" is :rofl:

Wow Spotty, you have meat on demand!!! Oscar is extremely jealous because our meat is so bloody expensive (Close to home) and we don't have that much variety.

I am lucky because I live in a semi rural area that is shared with tonnes of greyhound owners.

I get fresh chicken, available three times a week at 50 cents per kilo, I can buy whole frames, that are so meaty and include the livers. or minced carcasses, it is minced in front of me on demand, so I can see it is preservative free, also can order necks or whatever.

I buy beef mince, human quality, that I can watch be minced for $2.50 per kilo. It's beef skirt.

Fresh duck necks for $2.00 per kilo, used to be $1.00 per kilo but just doubled. :(

I also buy fresh, snap frozen pilchards from my local fish monger for $5.00 per kilo, the most expensive purchase.

I don't feed my dogs pet quality food as I don't want them to consume the preservatives and artificial colourings, they eat better than me. :laugh:

You are lucky Pax... Well your dogs are anyways!! :laugh:

When I lived in a rural area for a couple of years my dogs literally got the same as what yours do because there was greyhounds galore that got treated like prince's and princess's.. Poor Osc, he got suburban living which equals less variety. :laugh:

He is quite the fussy eater and doesn't take to change well so it's not such a bad thing but I've just got back into fostering and know these guys will definitely want more variety and it's also going to be more expensive so want to get quality for my money.

Many butchers just mince fat and offal to sell as pet mince and run it through the mincer twice to get a better colour throughout, often left over sausage mince, cherios and other crap like gluggy crumbs left over from crumbed steak is added too. I only have an idea from working in a butcher shop. Some pet mince from butchers is awesome, some is utter crap.

I feed chicken frames, beef brisket, lamb flaps and marrow bones, kangaroo, whole ducks, geese, turkey and chicken as well as horse and minced chicken frames.

hmmm yes, I did happen to notice this particular mince doesn't look that crash hot! Thankfully we have no objections to eating it and last night he was jumping out of his skin for his dinner so it must taste pretty good.

I work in Newcastle so I pass loads of Butchers on my way home so I can try and test them all! I just need a bigger freezer so I can stock up..

Edited by Sunnyflower

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my pet mince from the local butcher for $1 a bag and I also get Marrow bones for $2 each. He has gotten sly recently though If people just by pet mince and or bones the prices go up by $1, they stay at the original price if you buy other meat as well.

I get my pet mince from the local butcher for $1 a bag and I also get Marrow bones for $2 each. He has gotten sly recently though If people just by pet mince and or bones the prices go up by $1, they stay at the original price if you buy other meat as well.

I am a vego so only buy pet meat. I do feel a little guilty about it as I feel like I am getting a freebie.

You can, but I prefer the roo or goat when you can get it. The only problem I have with pet mince from a butcher is that its the off cuts which if you look at it is loaded with fat! I prefer my guys to get the fat I can see on their bones, chicken, goat or lamb. There is a terrific butcher outside Coles in Midland WA which has a whole section of 'interesting' cuts which are fantastic for dog food. Chicken feet...$3 per kilo, lamb tongues, beef cheeks, pigs ears (fresh), pigs feet etc. Its all human grade as they cater for different nationalities but its very reasonabley priced so lots of people use it for dog food.
My girls get human grade lamb mince............But that is because of the price of sheep meat these days. I dont think you get pet grade lamb mince in wa.

Ah, I see a trip to Midland is on the cards for me. Always like to see more places where I can get variety in the dogs diet without breaking the bank.

Is that the one inside Midland Gate?? I may try the lamb tongue.. any idea of the name??

You can, but I prefer the roo or goat when you can get it. The only problem I have with pet mince from a butcher is that its the off cuts which if you look at it is loaded with fat! I prefer my guys to get the fat I can see on their bones, chicken, goat or lamb. There is a terrific butcher outside Coles in Midland WA which has a whole section of 'interesting' cuts which are fantastic for dog food. Chicken feet...$3 per kilo, lamb tongues, beef cheeks, pigs ears (fresh), pigs feet etc. Its all human grade as they cater for different nationalities but its very reasonabley priced so lots of people use it for dog food.
My girls get human grade lamb mince............But that is because of the price of sheep meat these days. I dont think you get pet grade lamb mince in wa.

Wow, $3.00 for chicken feet? that doesn't sound exactly cheap to me, lol. And what race or nationality would succumb to eating chicken feet? I bet I can hazard a guess, the one that eats practically anything that moves, lol. Jokes aside, I would never buy meat from a pet shop, it would be laden with sulphur dioxide, not good. :grouphug:

Just remembered why I don't get the pet mince from my butchers - they never bloody have any!!!

:( That would be annoying!

What is osso bucco?

I get all my raw meaty stuff for dogs from butchers. I have two near here and a mobile butcher who travels around Tassie in a refrigerated van dispensing meat. :D

My dogs get off cuts where possible and ground up chicken frames as well as whole frames and wings from the mobile butcher . I can also pick up free beef bones from the butcher in a little town near here (if there's any left!!!) They also sell Beef tails and ox tails. But I can't feed them that meat too often being dalmatians and prone to stone-forming.

I would like to vary things and give them a bit of lamb - I used to buy them cheap lamb flaps - but it's pretty much impossible to get here these days. My butcher said they don't sell them anymore because (a) hardly anyone buys lamb these days due to expense and (b) if they do kill a sheep they use every last scrap of the meat for people food and will use the flaps etc to make sausages. THe problem is lamb is TOO expensive so they make every bit count.

However, I did manage to scam some lamb bones off them today and pork bones which is rare. The other butchers are finding out if they can get me some turkey necks.

I never buy meat from pet shops and I'm not sure what "premium pet mince" is :(

Wow Spotty, you have meat on demand!!! Oscar is extremely jealous because our meat is so bloody expensive (Close to home) and we don't have that much variety.

I am lucky because I live in a semi rural area that is shared with tonnes of greyhound owners.

I get fresh chicken, available three times a week at 50 cents per kilo, I can buy whole frames, that are so meaty and include the livers. or minced carcasses, it is minced in front of me on demand, so I can see it is preservative free, also can order necks or whatever.

I buy beef mince, human quality, that I can watch be minced for $2.50 per kilo. It's beef skirt.

Fresh duck necks for $2.00 per kilo, used to be $1.00 per kilo but just doubled. :grouphug:

I also buy fresh, snap frozen pilchards from my local fish monger for $5.00 per kilo, the most expensive purchase.

I don't feed my dogs pet quality food as I don't want them to consume the preservatives and artificial colourings, they eat better than me. :(

You are lucky Pax... Well your dogs are anyways!! :D

When I lived in a rural area for a couple of years my dogs literally got the same as what yours do because there was greyhounds galore that got treated like prince's and princess's.. Poor Osc, he got suburban living which equals less variety. :o

He is quite the fussy eater and doesn't take to change well so it's not such a bad thing but I've just got back into fostering and know these guys will definitely want more variety and it's also going to be more expensive so want to get quality for my money.

Many butchers just mince fat and offal to sell as pet mince and run it through the mincer twice to get a better colour throughout, often left over sausage mince, cherios and other crap like gluggy crumbs left over from crumbed steak is added too. I only have an idea from working in a butcher shop. Some pet mince from butchers is awesome, some is utter crap.

I feed chicken frames, beef brisket, lamb flaps and marrow bones, kangaroo, whole ducks, geese, turkey and chicken as well as horse and minced chicken frames.

hmmm yes, I did happen to notice this particular mince doesn't look that crash hot! Thankfully we have no objections to eating it and last night he was jumping out of his skin for his dinner so it must taste pretty good.

I work in Newcastle so I pass loads of Butchers on my way home so I can try and test them all! I just need a bigger freezer so I can stock up..

I wouldn't go so far as to say that greyhounds are treated as prince's and princess's; they're kept caged for a good part of their short existance except when they are trialled and raced and then if they don't meet the grade they are swiftly eradicated (put down) to make space for more promising stock.

Horse mince? Oh dear!

Wow, $3.00 for chicken feet? that doesn't sound exactly cheap to me, lol. And what race or nationality would succumb to eating chicken feet? I bet I can hazard a guess, the one that eats practically anything that moves, lol. Jokes aside, I would never buy meat from a pet shop, it would be laden with sulphur dioxide, not good. :grouphug:

I'm not a massive meat eater so haven't really ever taken the time to research the do's and don't's of it all. However thanks to this thread and I am so much more aware and will continue to buy at the Butcher. Maybe not this Butcher but a Butcher.

He's been on the Butcher's meat for a few days now and he has a filled out a little in the flank area. I didn't think he needed to put on any weight but he actually looks really good.

:( That would be annoying!

What is osso bucco?

I get all my raw meaty stuff for dogs from butchers. I have two near here and a mobile butcher who travels around Tassie in a refrigerated van dispensing meat. :D

I never buy meat from pet shops and I'm not sure what "premium pet mince" is :(

Fresh duck necks for $2.00 per kilo, used to be $1.00 per kilo but just doubled. :grouphug:

I don't feed my dogs pet quality food as I don't want them to consume the preservatives and artificial colourings, they eat better than me. :(

You are lucky Pax... Well your dogs are anyways!! :D

When I lived in a rural area for a couple of years my dogs literally got the same as what yours do because there was greyhounds galore that got treated like prince's and princess's.. Poor Osc, he got suburban living which equals less variety. :o

I wouldn't go so far as to say that greyhounds are treated as prince's and princess's; they're kept caged for a good part of their short existance except when they are trialled and raced and then if they don't meet the grade they are swiftly eradicated (put down) to make space for more promising stock.

Horse mince? Oh dear!

Moselle you took the Prince and Princess's thing way too literally! I was speaking in regards to diet not the life they lead!! I am very aware of the life they lead......!!!!! I've seen it first hand.. It was in regards to the diet and wasn't supposed to be taken literally..

Horse mince? Oh dear!

People are just explaining the meat they can get.. There is no need to come in here and start trying to get a reaction..

Please keep it as an informative thread not a stickler thread.

Thanks.

Horse mince? Oh dear!

People are just explaining the meat they can get.. There is no need to come in here and start trying to get a reaction..

Please keep it as an informative thread not a stickler thread.

Thanks.

No worries, SF. :grouphug:

I did get some meat from the pet supply place after the butcher didn't have any. They are swearing there are no preservatives in the meat so I guess I have to trust them. They state it on their website too. They had a good selection of different mixes starting from $3.75 a kilo so not super cheap but ok.

I personally prefer to get meat from the supermarket as that doesn't make me want to vomit so much (vego) but with 3 dogs the mince is pretty pricey.

I did get some meat from the pet supply place after the butcher didn't have any. They are swearing there are no preservatives in the meat so I guess I have to trust them. They state it on their website too. They had a good selection of different mixes starting from $3.75 a kilo so not super cheap but ok.

I personally prefer to get meat from the supermarket as that doesn't make me want to vomit so much (vego) but with 3 dogs the mince is pretty pricey.

$3.75 Isn't too bad JulesP..

Completely off topic but I am not a massive meat eater, never have been really unless it is chicken. I've just started buying the soy vego sausages and they are REALLY good. I lack iron in a big way but don't enjoy eating a steak or a lot of meat so these things are perfect.

You might want to close your eyes Moselle.

Horse meat is often good for dogs with allergies, even those with chicken allergies. I find it excellent for puppies.

Sunnyflower, just be careful feeding a whole lot of fat, pancretitis (sp?) is a horrible thing.

You might want to close your eyes Moselle.

Horse meat is often good for dogs with allergies, even those with chicken allergies. I find it excellent for puppies.

Sunnyflower, just be careful feeding a whole lot of fat, pancretitis (sp?) is a horrible thing.

I have an allergic dog, he can only eat roo, fish, lamb and goat. I dont feed horse meat as horses get inoculated and medicated etc and if they have raced they get given steroids etc, i just dont like the thought if my dog being exposed to this as he is on a lot of meds already.

My mum got minced chicken for pets from a butcher who no longer has his own shop. He neglected to mention to her, that it was minced chicken carcass and she was making casserole dog food out of it.

And yes we had to take that dog to the vet to unblock the impaction caused by the chicken bones. Not happy with that butcher at all.

So I tend to get mad at butchers or pet shops that offer me minced chicken carcass. Even raw chicken bones come back to haunt my dog and I get to clean up the mess. Blech. Mind you, I haven't tried again for a year or so. She's a bit older now.

I've noticed for quite some time now that Butchers have $2 a kilo pet mince so I went in to have a chat and it's human grade off-cuts of all the left overs minced together. So really it's not that bad.
“Human Grade Offcuts” is what they use to make regular mince that sells for $10+, so usually pet mince contains spoilt meat, offal, or not for human consumption meat. It’s probably ok, but I would also be worried about the risk of bacterial infection from some of those sources. We only feed Jasper meat that is available for sale for Human Consumption; lamb/beef offcuts, turkey drumsticks, or whatever chicken bits are on special. Generally $3~4 per kilo.

Anyone had a supermarket up their price because you a buying alot of something? :laugh: When i have puppies i buy the little trays of chicken mince from Woolworths, alot of the time it comes on special for $4.99 a tray. Anyway i had 2 litters of pups close together so i bought this mince every day for at least 2mths, and NOT ONCE was it ever put on special during that time, it had been $5.99 each when i first started buying it, i was buying about 3-4 trays a day which increased as the pups grew. Usually there isnt alot of chicken mince offered at my Woolies but as i was buying what they had every day they started making more. By the time i stopped buying it and started the pups onto Lenards mince just before they went to new homes the Woolies mince was up to $7.49 :D :D and not once had it gone on special :( Once i stopped getting it, as they had been making so much it did not all sell and what was there ended up being reduced to clear. It has now gone down to $5.99 and is regularly on special for the normal $4.99 :p I also bought trays of turkey mince too for the pups which also jumped up $1 while i was buying it. I was and still am absolutely disgusted.

I work at a butcher, a few days a week.

The chicken mince is carcus, not much fat. ($1.30kg) (My dogs refuse to eat carcus, but will eat the mince? go figure!, and a whole frame is sometimes too big for a little dog, butchers have a really big saw and can cut the frozen packs into bite size pieces if you need).

The beef pet mince in generally offal, ($2.25kg) not alot of fat at all, and extremely high in iron. Alot of people with working dogs or racing dogs, take all the fatty offcuts, this doesnt go into our pet mince. Alot of farmers just buy hearts and tongues to feed their dogs. If you get queezy at the though of that, the butchers always have a 50/50 trim, which is used to make sausages, and a lean trim which is used to make mince between $5 & $7, but at that price you will generally have to cut it up yourself.

We also sell pig ears/snouts/trotters and beef chews, which are all smoked on premise, no bad things added here.