Cats Coming Into Yard

aussielover

I agree as well on the supersoaker as well as screens for the windows. I too think that in time the pup will sort out the cat but it can be a worry. One of my 2 cats scratched the eye of one of my pups who was 3 months old, ulceration occurred very quickly and a costly op followed.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would talk to the neighbour first and let them know how you feel. Trapping thei cat may cause bad neighbourly relations, particularly if they didnt know it was something that annoying you.

Personally I wouldnt be too concerned about the cat hurtign the pup, but thats just me.

I'd use the super soaker too but you probably wont need to worry for long, pups grow fast and I have always found once they get to a certain size the neighbours cats dont come in anyway regardless of how freidnly the dog looks LOL

Exactly! Agree with all you've said lanabanana.

It sounds as though you know who owns this cat Aussielover, could you talk to them and let them know that you don't want their cat coming into your yard? Give them a chance to contain the cat somehow before you start trapping it and taking it to the pound. My cats go out during the day but if a neighbour came and told me they were causing problems I'd be happy to work something out. I'd certainly rather have that option than to find out my cat has been shipped off to the pound (or worse) with no warning.

I feel like if we were talking about a dog getting into someone's yard, talking to the neighbours before going trapping and taking to the pound might have been suggested by more than just a couple of us. Don't be too hard on cats guys!

If talking to the neighbours doesn't work or they don't wish to cooperate, then I agree with the supersoaker idea, I doubt it would take many hits to discourage the cat, but it shouldn't cause any damage other than to its pride.

Re the cat coming in to your house - I'd say either leave the windows shut when you go out, or install screens, as someone else mentioned.

In our state - we can take cat to pound, or I know some vets that will put to sleep any cat you catch on your property. Ie they're not allowed to trespass onto other people's property. But that doesn't seem to be the law in NSW. Might be an idea to write your State Rep and ask for that to be fixed up.

Really? Eek! I'd hate someone to PTS my dog if she just happened to escape the yard one day & get caught on someone's property - or is the law only for cats for some reason?

No you can't do it to someone's dog here. For getting rid of troublesome dog - you can call your council ranger. In fact even if you want to adopt an unidentified unregistered stray dog - I think you still have to do that.

Cats on the other hand... different rules apply. Though I think my council has just required that all cats be microchipped and registered same as dogs, so I guess now the ranger would come and get a cat if you'd managed to catch it.

However main culprit cat in my yard belongs to my neighbour so I doubt I'd be packing that one off to the vet for PTS. I'd be more likely to opt for severe hosing and release. But first - of course - I'd have to catch it.

Is odd that the cats on both sides of me died within 12 months of me getting puppy. Both were keen prowlers of my yard and learned very early on that puppy LURVES chasing cats. Though one of the cats wouldn't run, dog tried to deafen it by barking but never touched it. Neither neighbour blamed me or the puppy for their cats deaths. Hmm.

i am hard on cats and cat owners. if they were responsible and kept their cats contained to their yard then i wouldnt be as harsh.

it my yard not theirs and i do not again want to stick my hand in cat shit when i am gardening

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I would talk to the neighbour first and let them know how you feel. Trapping thei cat may cause bad neighbourly relations, particularly if they didnt know it was something that annoying you.

Personally I wouldnt be too concerned about the cat hurtign the pup, but thats just me.

I'd use the super soaker too but you probably wont need to worry for long, pups grow fast and I have always found once they get to a certain size the neighbours cats dont come in anyway regardless of how freidnly the dog looks LOL

Thanks, I have tried talking with them, they weren't very receptive to my concerns just saying the dog and the cat would sort it out.

They also seemed to indicate that they thought they had no responsibility to keep it contained. They are not very nice people and I am worried that if i piss them off too much (like taking the cat to the pound) they may retaliate and take it out on my dog.

In our state - we can take cat to pound, or I know some vets that will put to sleep any cat you catch on your property. Ie they're not allowed to trespass onto other people's property. But that doesn't seem to be the law in NSW. Might be an idea to write your State Rep and ask for that to be fixed up.

Really? Eek! I'd hate someone to PTS my dog if she just happened to escape the yard one day & get caught on someone's property - or is the law only for cats for some reason?

No you can't do it to someone's dog here. For getting rid of troublesome dog - you can call your council ranger. In fact even if you want to adopt an unidentified unregistered stray dog - I think you still have to do that.

Cats on the other hand... different rules apply. Though I think my council has just required that all cats be microchipped and registered same as dogs, so I guess now the ranger would come and get a cat if you'd managed to catch it.

However main culprit cat in my yard belongs to my neighbour so I doubt I'd be packing that one off to the vet for PTS. I'd be more likely to opt for severe hosing and release. But first - of course - I'd have to catch it.

Is odd that the cats on both sides of me died within 12 months of me getting puppy. Both were keen prowlers of my yard and learned very early on that puppy LURVES chasing cats. Though one of the cats wouldn't run, dog tried to deafen it by barking but never touched it. Neither neighbour blamed me or the puppy for their cats deaths. Hmm.

I think that's a very wrong practice. Anyone could pick up any cat (even in neighbours yard) and take it to be put to sleep? Disgusting.

For the OP, talk to the owners and tell them the cat is annoying you.

Get a super soaker and squirt it every time it comes into your yard.

Close your windows or get flyscreens so it can't get into your home. If a cat can get in, then a burglar can too!!

If the owners continue to let their cat roam and it is being a nuisance after all the above, get a cat trap and catch it. Take it to the pound. :laugh:

There are (unfortunately) still a lot of people who think it's okay to let their cats roam.

Cats that are allowed to roam generally don't live very long, they either get hit by cars, mauled by dogs, stolen, etc etc...as well as killing wildlife. Bad idea all round.

And I own cats and am a cat lover, I keep mine inside or in their outdoor cat run. It's not hard. :heart:

Having seen the damage my old cat (who was 10 at the time) did to my neighbour's Boxer, I would actually be concerned. They're feisty buggers when they're upset.

I have several cat chasing dogs, my concern is what is going to happen when one of mine catches up with the kitty. The cat will end up dead, no doubt about that but I'm more concered about the injuries the cat claws can inflict on my dogs and who in the hell is going to pay the vets bills.

I don't want them walking through my yards, shitting in my garden ( we had the experience of a dog finding cat shit in the front yard yesterday ) climbing into and sleeping in my puppy enclosure and spreading their fleas about.

After the weekends poo experience, it's obviously time to get the cat trap out again and deal with the problem

Wow. I understand that this is a dog forum, but I am really surprised that people who love one animal so much can dislike another animal so much (this is not at all directed at the OP).

The fact is, there are laws regarding containment of cats. In some places they must be kept inside or in runs, and in other places, they can go outside. If the law is being followed, then whatever your personal beliefs are, you don't have the right to cause harm to someone else's pet.

As far as I'm concerned, you have a right to keep your pets safe within the bounds of the law, and an obligation to keep others' pets safe within the bounds of the law. If you live in an area where cats do not legally have to be contained, and are concerned about your dog or other pets within your yard, then the onus is on you to create a safe enclosure for your pet. Cats are not super-creatures, they can be kept out. I don't think you have the right to cause (or wish) harm to someone else's pet when pet and owner are abiding by the law.

Wow. I understand that this is a dog forum, but I am really surprised that people who love one animal so much can dislike another animal so much (this is not at all directed at the OP).

The fact is, there are laws regarding containment of cats. In some places they must be kept inside or in runs, and in other places, they can go outside. If the law is being followed, then whatever your personal beliefs are, you don't have the right to cause harm to someone else's pet.

As far as I'm concerned, you have a right to keep your pets safe within the bounds of the law, and an obligation to keep others' pets safe within the bounds of the law. If you live in an area where cats do not legally have to be contained, and are concerned about your dog or other pets within your yard, then the onus is on you to create a safe enclosure for your pet. Cats are not super-creatures, they can be kept out. I don't think you have the right to cause (or wish) harm to someone else's pet when pet and owner are abiding by the law.

If they can be kept OUT why can't they be kept IN ''at the owners EXPENCE'',thats like saying everyone should wear breathing apparatus so smokers can breathe their smoke indoors.

Note we own a cat it stays inside or in our back yard,it can't get out by it's own devices,a lot of our neighbours didn't know we had one because it wasn't roaming around the area,I tolerate other cats and their habits but it seems lately others haven't as there seems to be less cats roaming around.I hope its because their owners have decided to take responsibillity for their pets.

the laws in SA are that if a cat without a collar comes into my yard i can legally trap it and take it to the pound.

if the cat has a collar then it must go back to its home which i have done.

this procedure does not harm the cat.

i contain my dog, i register her, i am a responsible dog owner.

i have friends who have paid thousands of dollar to contain their cats because they are responsible cat owners.

i want all cat owners to be responsible at their expense not mine.

if my dog was wandering at large she would be caught and impounded, whats so wrong about doing this to a cat that enters my yard?

If they can be kept OUT why can't they be kept IN ''at the owners EXPENCE'',thats like saying everyone should wear breathing apparatus so smokers can breathe their smoke indoors.

Note we own a cat it stays inside or in our back yard,it can't get out by it's own devices,a lot of our neighbours didn't know we had one because it wasn't roaming around the area,I tolerate other cats and their habits but it seems lately others haven't as there seems to be less cats roaming around.I hope its because their owners have decided to take responsibillity for their pets.

If the law says that they must be kept in, then cat owners absolutely should keep cats in at the owners EXPENSE. And if they don't keep their cats in under those circumstances, then they need to accept whatever consequences occur - legal, financial, moral...

But, as with smoking indoors, there are laws, and being a democratic society, we live by them, not by personal opinion. There are ways to try to change things, but I for one value living in a country where we live by democratic law, whatever the personal cost.

I know that cats roaming is not a huge political issue, and I am not actually talking about my own opinion, just saying, I don't think it's right to cause harm to a person's pet just because you don't agree with the law. If you don't agree, work to change it, don't just defy it.

i dont think the laws about cats are that strict

we once had a cat wandering around

we took it in for a few hours then took it to the vet

but no chip was found

the vet said just to let it go back in the same vicinity as we found it

apparently cats can roam...according to this vet anyway...no real laws like you do with dogs so id check on that i'mpounding the cat' idea...

if you keep a cat that is someone elses you can be accused of stealing so be careful how you deal with all of this

no cat wanders into our yard cos of the dogs...theyd bark and carry on at strange cats...even though theyre fine with their own cats

id try to really scare this cat that keeps crossing the line

surely you could ambush it and scare it with ferocious barking noises? lol

I don't think it's right to cause harm to a person's pet just because you don't agree with the law.

Maybe not harm cat just because don't agree with law, but do have a right to defend one's own property against dangerous, noisy, destructive, polluting cats. Same as if it was marauding teenagers. If that means catching cat and taking it to the pound or one-way vet (where law permits), I don't see a problem. I don't see a problem with hosing the crap out of it in the hopes of making it associate extreme discomfort with being in your place - though what usually happens is cat won't go in the trap again.

the laws in SA are that if a cat without a collar comes into my yard i can legally trap it and take it to the pound.

i have friends who have paid thousands of dollar to contain their cats because they are responsible cat owners.

if my dog was wandering at large she would be caught and impounded, whats so wrong about doing this to a cat that enters my yard?

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. You know the law and are following it. Cat owners in this situation have every opportunity to follow the law by containing their cats, as do dog owners. So, if you choose to have a cat, you choose to take on the responsibility of containing it. As I said, we all have the right and the responsibility to protect our pets and others' pets within the bounds of the law. However, currently cat containment is not the law everywhere.

My only problem is in situations where cats are not required to be contained but are punished for leaving their yards, based on individual opinions.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. You know the law and are following it. Cat owners in this situation have every opportunity to follow the law by containing their cats, as do dog owners. So, if you choose to have a cat, you choose to take on the responsibility of containing it. As I said, we all have the right and the responsibility to protect our pets and others' pets within the bounds of the law. However, currently cat containment is not the law everywhere.

My only problem is in situations where cats are not required to be contained but are punished for leaving their yards, based on individual opinions.

I agree its not the cats fault but it shouldn't be up to the neighbours to spend money to protect their pets and property,its like paying rates to pay for graffiti clean ups,speaking of which I've often been tempted to catch the neighbours cats and dye their coats, one bright blue, one canary yellow and one hot pink, it wouldn't harm them but would make the neighbours think about it while the colour grew out.

cats are not required to be contained in SA.

trapping a cat and taking it to the pound is legal in most states if the cat enters your property and has no collar, ie it can be deemed to be feral.

i trapped a cat the other day and i was appalled at its condition. it was an entire tom cat, flea bitten, scarred, thin and mangy, now THAT is cruelty and its adding to the feral cat population.