De-sexing Or A Litter

Welcome Samantha and well done for seeking advice from experienced people :D . You have come to the right place for knowledge and you will get honest advice from lots of people. As long as you take it all in the spirit that it is given, you will do just fine (it seems that you are taking it on board and have a sensible attitude toward the advice given)

The more time you spend on here reading and learning I think you will see why so many are giving you the advice to desex. I'm a vet nurse and I have seen some very sad things happen to tiny bitches and their babies having a 'just one litter'. And as far as undesexed bitches, you don't want a midnight pyometra surgery...trust me, very sick dog and big $$$$, and that is just one example of what can go wrong with keeping your bitch entire.

Enjoy your little girl, can't wait for some piccies....they are mandatory you know :rofl:

take care and have fun

Shells

Thankyou shells, i will upload pics soon ;)

I am starting my studdies in Febuary next year. Vet Nursing certificate 4, its took so long for me to find the 15hrs min at a clinic but i finaly got in :o and after my 3 years i will be qualifide, finally :)

Well done, and I can tell you, working in the industry, you may well change your mind about breeding ;) best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it and learn heaps.

Shells

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Samantha and well done for seeking advice from experienced people :D . You have come to the right place for knowledge and you will get honest advice from lots of people. As long as you take it all in the spirit that it is given, you will do just fine (it seems that you are taking it on board and have a sensible attitude toward the advice given)

The more time you spend on here reading and learning I think you will see why so many are giving you the advice to desex. I'm a vet nurse and I have seen some very sad things happen to tiny bitches and their babies having a 'just one litter'. And as far as undesexed bitches, you don't want a midnight pyometra surgery...trust me, very sick dog and big $$$$, and that is just one example of what can go wrong with keeping your bitch entire.

Enjoy your little girl, can't wait for some piccies....they are mandatory you know :rofl:

take care and have fun

Shells

Thankyou shells, i will upload pics soon ;)

I am starting my studdies in Febuary next year. Vet Nursing certificate 4, its took so long for me to find the 15hrs min at a clinic but i finaly got in :o and after my 3 years i will be qualifide, finally :)

Well done, and I can tell you, working in the industry, you may well change your mind about breeding ;) best of luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it and learn heaps.

Shells

haha, thankyou! I cant wait.

Im really looking forward to it!

If you decide not to desex - you can put your dog on the canine pill - which would stop her from having a season or getting pregnant until you are ready and have the right dog lined up.

I agree with the others about being more certain about those who say they want a puppy. I've had so much experience with people including family who say they will do something and then when you try to organise it - they're busy or unavailable, or have changed their minds.

Most recently two friends (separate households) said they'd look after my dog while I was on holidays - but neither of them could handle my dog who will take over given the opportunity - so she ended up at the boarding kennel I'd prearranged as backup - just in case. The boarding kennel staff say it happens all the time. They had another dog there with mine who had experienced the same thing - neighbours couldn't cope. All those promises - mean nothing.

I thought I wanted to be a breeder once, until one of my dogs came to me while (unbeknown to the previous owner or me) pregnant. She had ONE live pup and it was such a nightmare finding the right home for him to go to! The number of enquiries I got from people I would never sell a goldfish to was just scary.

I haven't read all the replies, but I don't doubt that all of the other bases have been covered by people with far more knowledge about the pros and cons of breeding than I :D

The way I look at is this,

Look at the worst case senario - all of it, yep even the death of your bitch and all the babies.

If after really looking into it you believe you can handle having to deal with midnight c sections, hand raising babies, babies fading and dying and there is nothing you can do about it, having enough time for babies, then you are part way there.

Anyone of course would be exremely upset to lose their bitch but is it a risk you are willing to take???

If the answer to all those is yes I can handle it, find yourself a mentor withon your breed or another toy breed.

Their knowledge and wisdom is gold. If after seeing everything they have gone through to breed litters you decide it is for you, get your prefix and work with your mentor to find the best combination of bloodlines to breed the best Poms you can.

It doesn't matter if they are going to pet homes, breed like you want to produce a world champion. If you are very lucky you just might, but it doesn't happen by accident.

Lyndsay - Thanks for that link! Great read! I just posted it on my Facebook in reply to a friend who was talking about not having their 4 month old microchipped yet. Another friend said to wait till they got the puppy desexed as the chipping needle was quite big. And she replied saying she had thought of that but they want her to have at least one litter!!! Eeek!!!

I hope she thinks twice after reading the link!

I'm just wondering why your dog is not on limited register if she does not meet breed standard?

I may have missed what your breeder thinks of you using your bitch for a litter?

Are you going to become a registered breeder and do all health checks?

The way I look at is this,

Look at the worst case senario - all of it, yep even the death of your bitch and all the babies.

If after really looking into it you believe you can handle having to deal with midnight c sections, hand raising babies, babies fading and dying and there is nothing you can do about it, having enough time for babies, then you are part way there.

Anyone of course would be exremely upset to lose their bitch but is it a risk you are willing to take???

If the answer to all those is yes I can handle it, find yourself a mentor withon your breed or another toy breed.

Their knowledge and wisdom is gold. If after seeing everything they have gone through to breed litters you decide it is for you, get your prefix and work with your mentor to find the best combination of bloodlines to breed the best Poms you can.

It doesn't matter if they are going to pet homes, breed like you want to produce a world champion. If you are very lucky you just might, but it doesn't happen by accident.

:thumbsup:

Great post RnL :)

I'm just wondering why your dog is not on limited register if she does not meet breed standard?

I may have missed what your breeder thinks of you using your bitch for a litter?

Is it outside standard? I'm not sure. The OP said it was a "tall Pomeranian", but I'm not sure if she meant taller than the standard, or at the tall end of the standard, if you see what I mean.

A breeder of Pomeranians might like to answer this:

Is there anyone, other than the breeder of the pups which are from registered parents, who makes the decision about which register the puppies should go on?

Is there any checking process on Pomeranian puppies before this decision is made?

Genuine questions.

Souff

Is it outside standard? I'm not sure. The OP said it was a "tall Pomeranian", but I'm not sure if she meant taller than the standard, or at the tall end of the standard, if you see what I mean.

Height is not used in the standard, just weight. However the upper weight is 2.5kgs for bitches. A 2.5kg canine is a tiny, tiny canine. If a 2.5kg bitch is tall as well, ..... well she is going to be a very strange looking Pom. I would suggest that if she were "tall", she will be substantially heavier than 2.5kgs and therefore outside of the breed standard.

The OP has not mentioned the weight of the pup at this age. It would be interesting to know the current weight.

As others have mentioned breeding tiny toy sized dogs is no walk in the park. It can be heartbreaking. Using larger specimens for breeding is a horrible practice because down the track those genes are going to turn up in the belly of a tiny innocent bitch who cannot possibly birth larger pups.

Pomeranians were not meant to be tall, they were meant to be tiny.

Souff

After reading 5 pages of comments, i have alot of getting back to people to do.

I will send you a messge on here a few of you have given me some great advice and i have taken it on board, only being 21 im just starting out and learning as i go and trying to get as much info behind me as i can. Like i said this is my first own dog and im only looking at options. And im happy i posted this topic because i have recieved some great info and websites too look at!!

This will be my last post on here, i will try to message you all back, if you have any more thoughts or maybe a website that might be worth me seeing please dont hesitate to msg me on my page!

But for now, im off to enjoy the weekend!

See you next topic :thumbsup:

Samantha

Samantha, as you posted on a public forum it would be really nice if you replied to some of the questions on the public forum.

Look, if your little pup is going to be a tall adult and not fit the breed standard, then it is better to have her as a de-sexed pet and if you still want to breed, buy from a breeder whose dogs are tiny and do fit the breed standard.

Many breeders have kept pups that didn't turn out to be the best example of the breed and were non-standard in some way. They can be found lolling around breeders home many years later as much loved de-sexed pets that were not used in any breeding programme. Thats how it is with dog breeding - we still love the non-standard ones but they stay at home and dont go to shows and are not bred from.

If your bitch is tiny and is unlikely to weigh more than 2.5kgs as an adult, or if you think she wont, then either way it would be showing good manners to tell the people on here who have taken the trouble to answer your post in an honest and open way.

Souff.

Samantha, as you posted on a public forum it would be really nice if you replied to some of the questions on the public forum.

Look, if your little pup is going to be a tall adult and not fit the breed standard, then it is better to have her as a de-sexed pet and if you still want to breed, buy from a breeder whose dogs are tiny and do fit the breed standard.

Many breeders have kept pups that didn't turn out to be the best example of the breed and were non-standard in some way. They can be found lolling around breeders home many years later as much loved de-sexed pets that were not used in any breeding programme. Thats how it is with dog breeding - we still love the non-standard ones but they stay at home and dont go to shows and are not bred from.

If your bitch is tiny and is unlikely to weigh more than 2.5kgs as an adult, or if you think she wont, then either way it would be showing good manners to tell the people on here who have taken the trouble to answer your post in an honest and open way.

Souff.

Thanks for the reply souff but if i want to reply a diffrent way i feel i can!

To tell the truth i feel i have enough posts at the moment on this topic and im still looking into alot of the info and websites posted and i dont want to be felt pressured for a quick reply. I will reply from the first few posts first, then work my way down! I want to reasurch a few topics and return with answers later on. There is no time limit so im going to take my time, and do it at my own free will.

But like i said, its time for me to get off the computer and go and enjoy the weekend, after a working week!

Samantha

Souff.

Thanks for the reply souff but if i want to reply a diffrent way i feel i can!

To tell the truth i feel i have enough posts at the moment on this topic and im still looking into alot of the info and websites posted and i dont want to be felt pressured for a quick reply. I will reply from the first few posts first, then work my way down! I want to reasurch a few topics and return with answers later on. There is no time limit so im going to take my time, and do it at my own free will.

But like i said, its time for me to get off the computer and go and enjoy the weekend, after a working week!

Samantha

Good on you for taking the time to consdier all aspects.

Have a good weekend! :thumbsup:

Souff.

I agree :thumbsup:

If you go ahead and breed this untested (and possibly not even breed standard) dog, that is of course your choice. However it will make you in my eyes at least what we call a backyard breeder (BYB), someone who does not breed for the benefits of dogs or the community.

Look i understand that you love your little dog and want the best for her.

There is a myth that female dogs should be allwoed to have one litter as it is good for them.

This is simply untrue and as others have said can lead to serious complications.

You also keep saying that you are not going to post on this thread again yet you do....

Please respond to some of the concerns raised by others here who are only trying to help you.