Dogs That Shed

RiverStar-Aura

My dog Zeus is a constant shedder no matter how much I brush him. I've found that slickers are no good as they don't really remove the loose hair and I've found that undercoat brushes don't work because he's a short-coated dog.

He's a beagle cross and I'm at my wits end trying to groom him because nothing seems to be working.

Any advice or any grooming tool suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

I believe you can also use a hack saw blade, turn the ends around to form a loop. But I have not tried it, so not too sure.

A slicker would not work, what about a really fine comb? You can get very fine combs, they might help.

A groomer told me about these gloves that are used for horses. They are shaped like hands, rubber (in different colours) and have little nobs on each side. They only cost like $5 from saddlery or farm supply shops. They are the best thing we have found for our staffies and my sister even uses it on her husky/shep cross. Also easy to clean - just a warm wash in the sink. We bought 2 about a year ago and no damage yet despite regular use. I think you could ask for a horse grooming glove and be pretty safe. Our farm supply place showed me the pic from a catalogue and I knew it was it. If you really need a pic let me know!

Zoom grooms are brilliant, I did actually make my Dobe a little bit bald after attacking her with one!

They work really well on my Whippets and Stafford as well.

They are really good for giving a good scrub when shampooing and get heaps of loose coat out.

Zoom grooms are brilliant

I just came in to suggest the same thing.

I have used one on whippets, a greyhound, a JRT, a GSHP X Labrador, and my two cats.

Love them!

Great just after a bath too when the coat is a tad damp, the hair just slides right out!

:D

Edited by Sir WJ

Zoom Groom - awesome on short coats.

Ditto... I love mine.

My Saluki bitch has hair coming from everywhere for most of the year. My pink ZG keeps it under a little bit of control. She's my worst shedder, but the rest of them shed too. For most of the year...

Zoom Grooms are not the cheapest option, but I was lucky enough to "win" mine at a silent auction at a dog show. I got it for $6.00. They retails for around $20 - 30.

Sonia

What do you think he's crossed with and how long is his coat? Is it a short coat.

A Whippety friend put me onto the Zoom Groom - awesome on short coats.

I was told he's a Beagle x JRT but I'm really not sure (I'll attach a picture at the end of the post). When I had him at the vet on Friday for his annual C5 booster he said Zeus looks more beagle x border collie and from his shape and size I tend to agree.

His coat probably averages about 2 to 3cm long and sits nice and flat against his body. I'm not sure if he's double coated either. Is there a way to check this?

And I'll definitely look into the Zoom Groom. Where's the best place to pick one up?

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...;cart_id=690948

Scroll down to the shedding tool, I use & have put other people onto the shedding tool.

The long teeth for when they are moulting alot and the short teeth just before or after moulting.

I just looked at the site; thanks for the link because it looks like a really useful tool to have. I'll definitely look into the shedding tool because I've tried just about everything! :rofl:

The Furminator is the answer! You can buy them in the vets for lots of money or go on ebay and get much cheaper.

I picked up a cheaper version of the Furminator from my vet (I think it was). It's black with red paw prints and works the same as the Furminator but I'm reluctant to use if for the very reason I could end up with a bald dog!

I guess Zeus is healthy otherwise - so its not a diet thing.

Oh he's definitely healthy; he just came back from his C5 vaccination and vet check and other than a slightly high temperature (which I've been told is normal for very high active dogs) he's perfectly healthy. He may just be a shedder like you said!

A groomer told me about these gloves that are used for horses. They are shaped like hands, rubber (in different colours) and have little nobs on each side. They only cost like $5 from saddlery or farm supply shops. They are the best thing we have found for our staffies and my sister even uses it on her husky/shep cross. Also easy to clean - just a warm wash in the sink. We bought 2 about a year ago and no damage yet despite regular use. I think you could ask for a horse grooming glove and be pretty safe. Our farm supply place showed me the pic from a catalogue and I knew it was it. If you really need a pic let me know!

Where abouts did you find these gloves because they sound interesting and definitely worth a look. Would a place like maybe Pet Stock sell them because I know they do sell horse stuff (well one of my local ones might!).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely look into a few of these options!!

post-21435-1286704286_thumb.jpg

This is my Zeus. What do you guys think he's crossed with? He's definitely beagle but JRT? I'm not sure!

Edited by Owned by Zeus-ling!