Dobermann Saves Toddler

Bisart Dobes

Not the first Dobie to do this and won't be the last - love my breed.

A NEGLECTED doberman adopted by a loving family last week has saved their toddler from being bitten by a deadly king brown snake.

Seventeen-month-old Charlotte Svilicic was playing in the garden of the family’s Atherton home on Monday when Khan the doberman grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her clear of the approaching snake.

The heroic pooch was bitten by the snake after saving the toddler but is recovering after a dose of anti-venom.

In an amazing twist, Khan’s breeder revealed his grandfather had saved a child in similar circumstances.

Charlotte’s mother Catherine Svilicic yesterday told The Cairns Post Khan had saved the child’s life and the family would be forever indebted.

"If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it," Ms Svilicic said.

"Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressive towards Charlotte and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn’t working, so he grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her more than a metre.

"Charlotte looked pretty shocked and then Khan screamed.

"I realised quickly it was a snake and Khan had been trying to get in between her and the snake before he threw her."

After being bitten, Khan ran inside and collapsed. He was given a shot of anti-venom by a vet and had a tough night on Monday but managed to survive and eat a large breakfast yesterday, despite the ordeal.

Mrs Svilicic said the family had only had Khan for four days, and they were moved by Khan’s selfless and protective act.

"When Kerry Kinder (Doberinling Boarding Kennels owner) rescued him, he was starving, had broken ribs and had been beaten – he was an abused dog," she said.

"It was borderline on whether or not he should be put down because he was in such a bad way."

Mrs Svilicic said Khan would spend the rest of his life in luxury.

"If Khan wants a gold bowl, Khan gets it. We owe him for the rest of his life,’’ she said.

Mrs Kinder bred Khan and rescued him after discovering he was being mistreated.

"He was starving for attention and wanted to be loved because he came from an abused home, so I’m not surprised about what he has done at his new home."

An Atherton snake expert believes Khan escape death because the snake was not able to inject a large amount of venom.

My appologies - should have included at the top this happened in 07. It was sent to me by a person new to our breed who was amazed that a dog would act in such a protective way to its new family even though it had been so badly treated previously. Still is a great story and we have had so many bad news story's lately.

When I was a tot my parents bred Labs and one of them - beautiful Rani - saved me from a snake. She actually bit my arm to drag me away from the snake (still have that little scar :laugh:). But I am sure that my parents didn't give a hoot about her behaviour or biting - just that she had surely saved me from a snake bite.

Oh my goodness - it brought tears to my eyes. What a fantastic dog - how could anyone have abused him!! And yes, I agree, the mother probably saw it all happen in seconds before she could get over there. I'm sure the snake wasn't hanging around looking at the baby for ages or anything :laugh:

Bloody snakes...:D Good dog, Khan!

Several years ago my clcker spaniel(yes we all know they arnt supposed to be smart).....saved me from a snakle in a wood pile I was getting wood from.

She growled and kept running infront of me and grabed my shirt in the end and tore it......then I saw the snake......good girl Peggy....:laugh:)

Bloody snakes...:D Good dog, Khan!

Several years ago my clcker spaniel(yes we all know they arnt supposed to be smart).....saved me from a snakle in a wood pile I was getting wood from.

She growled and kept running infront of me and grabed my shirt in the end and tore it......then I saw the snake......good girl Peggy....:laugh:)

heheh wow who isnt smart..look at that spelling...i didnt have my glasses on...sorry.

OMG, What a great dog!!! Go Khan!!! My dad as a child was saved from a snake by a lab, It herded him onto a stump in some longish grass and then attacked the snake, killed it without getting bitten, that would of been about 40yrs ago so lucky for the dog.