Behaviour Changes

Leithy

I've come home to my 23 month old dachshund going from a happy, confident dog to a timid, tail between her legs, face and fur all ruffled up and not interested in anything,which is weird because shes normally at me for cuddles after work, bouncing around, tail in the air.

My biggest fear is that someone has come in our yard, but id like to know if any other reasons for such drastic behaviour changes? She was fine when I put her out prior to work.

Thanks guys, I'm really worried. If she's no better by Saturday morning it's off to the vet.

I've come home to my 23 month old dachshund going from a happy, confident dog to a timid, tail between her legs, face and fur all ruffled up and not interested in anything,which is weird because shes normally at me for cuddles after work, bouncing around, tail in the air.

My biggest fear is that someone has come in our yard, but id like to know if any other reasons for such drastic behaviour changes? She was fine when I put her out prior to work.

Thanks guys, I'm really worried. If she's no better by Saturday morning it's off to the vet.

Its a possibility, have you got a neighbor near by that could let you know if they have seen something happening?

Behaviour changes can also be a sign of health problems. Feeling sore from an injury or being unwell from a virus or other conditions can cause this. I would definatly recommend a visit to the vet!!

Neighbours are not much help unfortunately but I know the family accross the road are absolutely feral and have been found in our house before.

I had a look over here last nite, no ticks, no sores or anything.

I'm going to the vet this morning. I let her out this morning and she went and just laid down in the grass, first thing she does is go out for a drink.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

Is there any way you could leave her inside, if the ferals over the road have been found in your yard before, anything is possible.

Otherwise, a secure dog run might be the way to go, as well as padlocks on your gates.

Good luck at the vets, hope it's nothing major, poor girl.

Neighbours are not much help unfortunately but I know the family accross the road are absolutely feral and have been found in our house before.

I had a look over here last nite, no ticks, no sores or anything.

I'm going to the vet this morning. I let her out this morning and she went and just laid down in the grass, first thing she does is go out for a drink.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

Generic piece of advice.

PADLOCK YOUR YARD GATES. If nothing else it will eliminate all but the very determined from entering your yard.

Hope she's OK.

Edited by poodlefan

Get to vet.. my dog was tail down, hiding in bathroom and whenever we let him outside he hid in one of the bushes, he had a high temperature and sore tummy, he's had antibiotics, pain relief and a mild diet for a few days and is much better :laugh: Pyometra is also a real concern if she is entire.

Just got back from the vets- slightly raised temp and a nasty little grass seed in her ear the poor thing. She is going to have it removed under sedation this morning and I'll have her back before lunch. Relieved it was nothing major.

I had her desexed at nine months of age, she had no pain in her belly this morning but didnt drink anything so i'm assuming its because her ear made her feel rotton.

I hate going to the vets here tho... everytime I do, someone puts down their beautiful fur kid and it breaks my heart :laugh: Poor man put down his elderly chi companion and he was devastated.

Loves my fur kids.

My girl was only 4 months and had to have an op to remove a grass seed that got infected over her knee. Seemed to happen overnight. Full and quick recovery. My vets have moved premises and at their old place they had a special good bye room for animals getting pts. I have another dog on a special diet so I seemed to be at the vet every other week for something. For a long period of time every single time I went there a dog was being pts from old age or an accident. I felt like a jinx.