Eating Flies!

maximum

Hi everyone

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me whether my dog eating blowflies is harmful in any way. Max catches and eats any that fly into the house and I'm concerned that it may cause worms or digestive problems.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks guys - and thanks for the laugh! It's completely vile watching him do it, but kinda satisfying that he gets the buggers before they spread their crap everywhere. My cats are all too old to catch flies, they just watch the dog!

Thanks guys - and thanks for the laugh! It's completely vile watching him do it, but kinda satisfying that he gets the buggers before they spread their crap everywhere. My cats are all too old to catch flies, they just watch the dog!

Actually I have always wondered how long it is before a fly dies after they have been eaten, if they havent been crunched first.

Do they go down buzzing and die as soon as they hit the stomach acid? Or do they kick around for awhile?

hhhmmm.

Tango considers it his duty to get blowflys. Quite happy to let him go for it. Unfortunately most of the time he just sort of squashes them and spits them out so I have to clean em up :laugh: Still it beats having them buzzing around the house all the time.

There sure are a lot around tho.

Hi everyone

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me whether my dog eating blowflies is harmful in any way. Max catches and eats any that fly into the house and I'm concerned that it may cause worms or digestive problems.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hmmmmm......... they do lick their butts :laugh:

My dogs think it is a great sport catching and eating flies. We have learned to get out of their way when they are diving up in the air for them, or sitting on our laps and decide to use us as a launching pad to get them. I should imagine they would eat way worse things than flies in their lives.

Marion01

My pup LOVES chasing and catching flies. Unfortunately, a lot of the time that means her jumping all over the couch or smearing the windows with her nose in her attempts to catch them. :laugh:

OT - but Akira looks like she should be a member of "Kiss" :thumbsup:

No obvious ill effects on my fly hunter so far. She's not exclusive either - flies, moths, beetles, anything goes. Was very happy last night to have her respond instantly to 'leave it' when I realized she was stalking a tiny baby green tree frog instead of her usual prey. :D