She Is Pretty

MonElite

I got an sms yesterday and had to reply to a couple.

Can someone tell me WHY do people want to breed their dogs just because they are pretty?

This is the sms exchange

Hello

I need a male dog for my female doberman dog. Would you consider a visit to your place with my dog?

We can talk about reward for this

Thanks Alex

Are you a registered breeder and does your bitch have pedigree papers?

No

Im not interested, thank you.

She is pretty I can send a picture

All dogs are pretty doesnt mean they need to be bred from. I only belive in pedigree breeding. Sorry

Where did this person get my number from? I dont advertise, I dont have a website! and I dont have a male dog living in my house, I do have one on breeders terms but the owner would not give my number away.

I do get an occasional phone call from someone looking for a puppy so they must google stuff and somewhere my number does come up.

I dont mind, when I have a litter I will post my number everywhere so that makes no difference, but this guy isnt looking for a puppy he is looking for a stud dog.

I mean if someone googles MonElite they will few returns in google, I am a registered breeder after all and was a commitee memeber of the Dobe Club for number of years.

When I got the smses I was in the car and got the BF to type the replies back, what I was sysing to reply was long so BF was refusing to type those dozens of words.

I so wish people would on occasion call and say - I love dobermanns and Id love to learn and maybe breed in the future, can you point me in the right direction?

Why is it that most people that own a dog and get the idea of breeding their dog automatically think of themselves as experts? Its a world wide phenomenon!

I'm not even a breeder but I once got an email from a stranger asking did I know someone who had a young undesexed male p/b tibbie for sale.

This person had bought a p/b female tibbie puppy some months back, promising to get her desexed as she wanted a pet. BUT...you've guessed it....the pup had grown so pretty & with such a lovely nature. Now the owner thought it was a big pity not to let her have one litter, so the world could have some more pretty & lovely natured little dogs just like her.

Obviously, she hadn't contacted the original breeder & was searching elsewhere. Somewhere a person (who didn't know too much about the dog world) must've told her I owned tibbies.

Edited by mita

Beat you with my story.

Pulled up at a nsw service station, we were on holiday. I took Moon out of the back and walked her over to the designated dog tree. A guy followed us over and pulled out his wallet and goes "She's perfect for breeding, how much?"

I must have looked like one of those paranoid mothers when a strange man walks past the playground, shoved her behind me with my hands holding her collar, stricken with horror look on my face and said "Not for sale, she's not for breeding"

Anybody who knows dogs can see she's badly bred. She's merle, for one, has a saggy tuck, has ears that sit across her head like a bandanna, her front paws point inwards, her tail looks like a grey cricket bat and she has a back on her like a 30 year old draft horse.

THEN

His wife walks over and goes "Oh, we have a perfect match for her"

"No, sorry"

Husband pipes up with "Don't worry, the pups will be purebred, our boy's a Champion" Yeah, I totally believe that one.

Now I'm trying to get around the tree with my 65 kilo, 37 inch high dog behind me, who's trying desperately to get to the wife, who's thrusting her half-eaten burger at Moon and coaxing "Here, puppy, come here..", while going "No, sorry, I'm not a breeder, no, sorry..." over and over

The husband then offers to fill our car up plus $500 in cash for her right there.

I say no.

He makes that offer again and throws in lunch.

I say no.

So now it's lunch, petrol and gas, $800 and another $200 when they get home.

NO.

We finally end up piling back in the car and driving off, with him still shouting out offers.

What a horrible story, HeavyPaws! Are people really that desperate to breed? Sometimes I'm thankful I'm getting a rather unknown breed--people will probably think it's a mutt and never bother me about freaking.. breeding it with their BYB "purebred".

Beat you with my story.

Pulled up at a nsw service station, we were on holiday. I took Moon out of the back and walked her over to the designated dog tree. A guy followed us over and pulled out his wallet and goes "She's perfect for breeding, how much?"

I must have looked like one of those paranoid mothers when a strange man walks past the playground, shoved her behind me with my hands holding her collar, stricken with horror look on my face and said "Not for sale, she's not for breeding"

Anybody who knows dogs can see she's badly bred. She's merle, for one, has a saggy tuck, has ears that sit across her head like a bandanna, her front paws point inwards, her tail looks like a grey cricket bat and she has a back on her like a 30 year old draft horse.

THEN

"No, sorry"

Husband pipes up with "Don't worry, the pups will be purebred, our boy's a Champion" Yeah, I totally believe that one.

Now I'm trying to get around the tree with my 65 kilo, 37 inch high dog behind me, who's trying desperately to get to the wife, who's thrusting her half-eaten burger at Moon and coaxing "Here, puppy, come here..", while going "No, sorry, I'm not a breeder, no, sorry..." over and over

The husband then offers to fill our car up plus $500 in cash for her right there.

I say no.

I say no.

NO.

We finally end up piling back in the car and driving off, with him still shouting out offers.

OH MY GOD!!! Thats crazy!!!! :laugh:

Wow, that's just nuts HP!! Do people really think that dogs are that disposable that you would just go "Yea sure guys, here you go" and give away a family member on the spot?!

I'm actually surprised at how much they were willing to pay for her though. (Of course she's worth a million bucks, but I would have thought that people with such dodgy intentions would just grab whatever they could get, for as cheap as they could get)

I was offered money for Rex countless number of times, in thousands.

I once walked on the street, a person chased me in a car, stoped in the middle of the road, left the car with open door there and was screeming that she has a perfect bitch and is looking for a stud dog but cant find one. Not only that Rex is the best she has ever seen. (well he was a super good looking dobe)

When I asked if her bitch has papers she said no. I was trying to be nice and educate but as usual pretty much got nowhere.

She then proceeded to tell me that as a woman she has maternal feelings and she has 3 kids and she wants her bitch to expereince the joy of motherhood. I said how do you know she wants to be a mother?

She said - every female does.

My reply - hmmmm no, Im a female and I dont want to reproduce. I dont think I need to add to the overpopulation on the planet

She was shocked at my view and tried to tell me to have kids!!!! :eek:

And people down the road with a REALLY poorly bred unpapered rottie bitch that was affraid of her own shadow pestered me to use Rex for about 3 years. Each time they offered me couple of puppies from the litter :wave: And their last offer was half a litter, but only if I helped them with some costs of feeding the pupps :love:

I think in year 4 they fially got the message that Rex wont go over their bitch. :eek:

Beat you with my story.

THEN

"No, sorry"

I say no.

I say no.

NO.

why can I hear the music from Deliverence in the background when I read this???

Wow, that's just nuts HP!! Do people really think that dogs are that disposable that you would just go "Yea sure guys, here you go" and give away a family member on the spot?!

I'm actually surprised at how much they were willing to pay for her though. (Of course she's worth a million bucks, but I would have thought that people with such dodgy intentions would just grab whatever they could get, for as cheap as they could get)

I've heard a million times what a great body she has. All the bogans are willing to tell me "Aww mate dat's an awesum dawg, she's got a huge head and it'd bite ya in two!"

She's very stocky, very strong looking, plus being very tall for a bitch, and well muscled from daily runs, she looks like "one of those dogs". Plus people tell me she's the biggest staffy they've ever seen because she's 'blue'. Uhh nope..merle

God only knows what they were going to put over her to get "big" puppies. My poor baby was traumatised! The burger went uneaten! :eek:

Also, lappiemum, what's Deliverence?

Edited by HeavyPaws

HP, is she smooth coated?

You can't tell by looking if a smoothcoat bitch has been spayed or not (I assume she has been, but whatever) so next time you get that sort of red-neck, just say innocently "But she's been desexed - all non-show puppies from her breeder are desexed."

If if she is long coated or wire, then the average joe blow cannot tell anyway.

No chance of them trying to track her down for a back-yard snatch later that way. (Oops, do I sound paranoid? Sorry)

I had my mother in laws dog in my care for a short period of time when she went overseas to live for a few years. He was almost totally blind, had epilepsy, could hardly walk, was about 15, had heart disease, had a heart attack, had severe anxiety, was totally deaf, had skin cancer, had liver faillure, was x breed from a mill. Someone walked up to me and asked to breed from him when I took him for a sniff out the front. He was entire (yeah I know, even worse on MIL behalf). wtf?

Needless to say, I said the dog needed to be pts, and 5 years ago. She said no b/c her husband would blame their going overseas on the dog being pts. Dog went to grandma and she came and took him away when I wasn't home (needed more attention according to MIL???) and it bit her due to being so sick and anxious. Dog was pts by grandma and MIL had no choice. What an awful life for the poor bugger, anyway.

Cousin in law has a milled pap x cav. Cute dog, yes, I suppose. She wants to breed her because "people cross the street to pat her." Now she is upset that the dog is bleeding on her landlord's carpet. Gah!

What a horrible story, HeavyPaws! Are people really that desperate to breed? Sometimes I'm thankful I'm getting a rather unknown breed--people will probably think it's a mutt and never bother me about freaking.. breeding it with their BYB "purebred".

Don't count on it!!

I've been told several times that my Toller and their BC would make awesome puppies! Yeah right, I agree he would (and has) made awesome puppies but only with other Tollers. We got propersitioned at our dog club of all places :D

He is now metaphorically desexed, thank goodness they have medium length coats!

Going to have the same trouble with his daughter :laugh: She will be "desexed" too I think, though had someone tell me I should breed the two together.....even when I told them they were father/daughter!