How Do Your Dogs Wake Up In The Morning?

tlc

love this thread :)

Emmy is up at the crack of dawn... she politely takes herself outside to do her business. Jumps back on the bed, climb on to and checks if I'm still sleeping or not. If my eyes are close, she will either sleep on me or gets off me and curl up right beside me and waits for me to wake up. If my eyes are open, she gets all excited and cuddlely where she will turn to her back and press her body against mine for cuddles.

Charlie... well... in winter, he is near impossible to wake him up. It's better in warmer seasons, he doesn't give me evils when i tell them to get out of bed.. he just grumbles a little but will move.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

more great morning stories!

:) great stories, I love that they are all soooo different in their routines! Some mornings when my OH lets Bron out of his crate, I know he is sitting at the Side of the bed waiting for me to pat the bed for his ok to get up, the he goes right back to sleep.

Some mornings if I have had a late night and am having a big sleep in and they wake before me, I can feel them willing me to wake up but they just wait till I'm ready which is great. On the odd occasion I wake up to a head on my pillow and I'm nose to nose with one of them. :laugh: I hope I can wake up like this for the rest of my life!!

LOL TLC - Yeah I know that "nose to nose" thing - it's a split second of shock and then sooooo nice. I'm the same. Mad as my morning wake-ups are, since Dylan arrived especially, I wouldn't change it for the world. I might need to teach Dylan not to be quite so rough on my tummy but that'll happen ;)

Bronson used to be like Dylan I had to persevere with him and every morning when he was mucking up and the rest of us were trying to sleep, he got put back in his crate :laugh: which he wasn't impressed about so he soon learnt he had to get on the bed and go to sleep or back in he went. Didn't take him long to figure it out!

Mini is a jump out of bed girl. Grumpy is a sleep in man, except on weekends when he's up at the crack of dawn. I'm pretty sure he does it to wind me up.

:o Im sure they do that at times!!

Mine always seem to wake earlier on a Sunday as it is OH s only sleep in, its such a novely to have him in the bed they all try to get on him :)

and I am positive they know it is obedience day as Lacy gets twitchy if she doesn't get to go, CJ gets sooky if he doesn't get to go, Tully when it is her turn resists and doesnt want to go ;) and Bronson just wants to be where I am :eek: I think they know it is Sunday because OH is home!

Our dogs sleep in thier own bedroom and we have a routine.

I usually get up and get ready for work, then I get their breakfast and get them up. By which stage they are happy beause they are about ot get food.

We go outside for a run and brekky, then we have cuddles and then I leave for the day.

Not much difference on the nights when they sleep with us except for the fact that Pippi wakes up at about 6.30am-7am (because thats when i usually get em up before work) and then decides its time to play and will jump on me, lick me, bite me, pretend shes snuggling up to me but really shes trying to wake me up and other annoying things until I relent and get them breakfast and put them outside before i crawl back into bed LOL

They are afternoon nappers like us so often in the weekends we all (me, OH, our daughter and the 2 dogs) will have an hour or two kip in the arvo all togethe ron the bed LOL

Pele doesn't do mornings :laugh: To get her out of bed I have to turn the hose on at the front and she comes charging out to "attack" it (she can't help herself :bolt: ), then I quickly shut the front door :p The trail of biscuits from bed to front door stopped working long ago :)

Smarter than the bully ;) :D

Tango wakes up when the alarm goes off....then he waits for me to stir and turns around and shoves his nose under my neck and snuffles contentedly for a few minutes - he won't move till I get out of bed, then he comes out with me...if I sleep in, he sleeps in (I love it when they grow into the 'sleeping in with you' thing!!!! ) :laugh:

Ah mornings

Can start at 3:30am - with a very loud barking to let me know there is a cat crapping or fighting or whatever cats do in the front yard. I ignore temptation to let dog chase cat down street barking her head off at 3:30am. I ignore dog barking.

5:30am - magpies start up, dog asks to be let out. If she asks quietly and I find her sitting at the back door - I recognise signs of desperation - she's actually thought about what she is supposed to do to get out and done it. Dog goes out at high speed, does a quick cat patrol followed by an S&P. And then she comes back in and we both go back to bed - me in it and her on it. She only gets to be on my bed for morning sleep in cos otherwise I don't get any sleep at all and I do get cricks in my back and generally sore all over.

In ideal world - we get up around 7am and go for walk at local oval or beach.

In real world - we sleep in till 8:30am and go to local oval.

We did make the beach this morning. And then I had to go out and she went back to bed (sofa).

So I cop bouncing and sleeping in. She sometimes pats me on the head if I ignore her and she REALLY needs to go out.

Tilly (Kelpie X Coolie) sleeps in...she is very switched on and active in the day, but she loves to sleep in! On winter mornings she will take me to the gas heater then pass out again in front of it. :laugh:

Jessie wakes up normally in the mornings...she does tend to go to bed at pretty much 8.30pm on the dot every night, but she doesn't sleep in. She is pretty low key and will happily laze around the house all day provided she gets taken out and fed at some point!

I usually wake up because of Quinn, with her staring directly at my face or else smashing around entertaining herself under my bed. I can lie there with Buster as long as I like but the second I say "alright" and sit up they both jump up and run to the door.

My adult dog sleeps on her bed next to our bed, and she knows that after sunrise she's allowed into our bed for a cuddle, so every morning around 7:30 she jumps into bed and has a cuddle until we get up. As soon as I sit up in bed she jumps off and is ready to go.

Puppy sleeps in a large crate covered in a blanket in the bedroom and will usually sleep until I uncover the crate and let him out in the backyard to do his thing. He is then ready to play for the next 3 hours or so, before napping again.

Before I worked out that the crate should be covered at night he would wake up as soon as the sun was up and whimper and then of course need to go to the toilet because he was awake.

Hehe, I have Lottie trained pretty well - I like my sleep ins, so if she wakes me up/is noisey she gets put outside, but she's just started sitting at my bed looking at me doing this groaning thing - like a deep, long aarrrgggg - it's soooo cute, and I always laugh at it - which is why I'm sure she does it, but usually she likes to sleep in with me - sometimes even until 9/10!! It's very nice!!!

TLC - that video was soooooo cute :laugh:

Ours only get up when they hear us get up, Chevy gets out of his bed and talks to us - if we come out of our bedroom at different times he says good morning to each of us and then they all go have a big stretch then find a nice sunny spot outside to catch the morning sun.

The first few nights that Fred was let in the bedroom to sleep with us, there was one morning where I got woken up by him licking my face. I think I must've mumbled at him to let me sleep in and he's never done it since. He will sleep in with us beside me on the floor, but if I'm awake, he'll sit beside the bed patiently and will happily have his head patted or his neck scratched. If I get up early during winter when it's still dark he'll be very reluctant to leave the bedroom and go outside (understandably so) but otherwise he trots to the door when I get up so he can be let out to start the day.

Elsie, on the other hand is an entirely different kettle of fish.

The first night she got let in to sleep with us... she slept next to the bed and constantly fidgeted. Whenever she scratched herself, by default she'd be thumping the side of the mattress and waking us up.

In the morning at the first sign of stirring (even if it's just me rolling over) she will be in my face. All quick jabs - licks on the nose, shoving her head in my face, putting her wet nose in my eye, and then putting her feet on the mattress to try and get a better view of me. If you encourage her by giving her a pat, try and soothe her by petting her ears or just go "elsie! stop it!" she just gets more excited. I've resorted to holding her at arm's length, with my hand wrapped loosely around neck/chest.

If Fred then comes over for a cuddle she will push him aside to get back into Prime Spot. In fact now that I think about it, she pushes him away all the time whenever a cuddle is on offer. It's not just in the morning.

I always wanted a dog that would ask for cuddles in the morning (since Fred's so laid back and just lies beside the bed until we're ready to get up). But I think I got more than I asked for this time. There are moments in the morning where I hesitate to move in case she spots me and bounds over to attack me with licks. What's wrong with a decent sleep in I ask you???

:rofl:

Edited by Wolfhound Lover

I'm reading some of these and really pitying you guys with the early risers! :laugh:

It varies between ours. Carl and Mischa always sleep in my room, Jag sleeps with my mum and occasionally me when she's away, and Cleo sleeps in my sister's room unless she's at her bf's.

Jag is up at the crack of dawn and scratching on the door to get out because he knows sunlight = breakfast! He usually meanders around after that but you're hard pressed to get him back to sleep.

Cleo is also up as soon as she hears mum or dad get up. She'll sometimes slink back in to her bed if she feels like it.

:rofl: I'm very grateful that my two sleep in as long as I do! I had a big night last night, wasn't home til 1AM, and didn't get up today until 9. Never a peep out of either of them unless one needs a potty break. If I show signs of stirring, Carl sometimes gets up, stretches and sniffs around under the bed. Mischa usually has to be kicked out of her bed! Carl sleeps on my pillows so usually when I roll over I get wet dog nose in my face.

They routinely stay in as long as I do. In some instances as late as 11AM (I''m a night owl, don't judge me!) and they do the same if I sleep during the afternoon as well. On the odd occasion Mischa will get up first and want to go downstairs but that's only if she can hear someone apart from mum or dad in the house, e.g. one of the guys who works with dad or my uncle.

when i used to feed my dog late in the afternoon, she would go to sleep late, and then sleep in in the morning and its an effort to get her out.

now i feed her early in the morning, she is going to sleep at around 6 pm and up early with me for walk and play and breakfast. prefer her this way.

on weekends she touches me with her paw just to test if i am awake and when i say what do you want, she puts her head on my shoulder, like mummy, its time for cuddle and to get up.

if she cant find me under sheets etc she tends to jump on me, like she panics a bit.

if I want a sleep in, there is no chance, as my dog panics if the alarm hasnt gone off and its daylight so she wakes me up - which i dont mind.

Mine are quiet early birds. They are awake but lie nice and quiet. Once I get up though its a free for all and they go nuts, running around the house, bouncing and bleating!

Bubby is very funny on weekends though! Especially wet weekends! He does enjoy a good snoozy lie in! :laugh: