Jrt Owners

Dust Angel

So George our JRT (probably X) foster failure has the incredibly strange habit of sticking his nose in and licking the girls (GSP's) lips. He gets right into it with gusto. Is this just a George thing or is a breed trait?

Im not sure what he could possibly be doing in there but he reminds me of those birds that clean out the hippos teeth :rofl:

P1018286.jpg

ETA photo

Edited by Dust Angel

Buster our JRT x Mini Fox Although doesn't clean Teeth or Mouths, cleans both our other dogs ears, he obviously likes it as he closes his eyes and really gets into it.

Charli our JRT x Australian Terrier, puts her mouth in Shadows mouth when shadow has a bone so she can get all the small bits as she is to lazy to chew herself, it's quite funny actually her mouth is right up next to shadows ready to grab any little bits that fall out.

Maybe George is getting left overs?

Ear cleaners eh? Maybe he just cant reach the ears? The girls lips are known round here as storage flaps - there is always something in there, generally bits of grass or bits of toys, very unusual for there to be leftovers though :rofl: Food is inhaled round here.

My little one (submissive) does this to our big one (dominant) all the time. She's not as enthusiastic as when she was a puppy, but she got told off a few times by him so has toned it down. When he yawns, though, it's scary how far in her tongue goes :rofl:

My JRT grooms the cats to a point of having to make him stop, and also licks the more dominant dogs mouth a lot (sucking upto him maybe? ).

My JRTs do it as well but they actually do it to the littlest dog. I think they're just looking after the most submissive in the pack. Interesting thought, though.

OT but Dusty, your scruffy doesnt look like a cross to me. He just looks like a rough coat Jack.

OT but Dusty, your scruffy doesnt look like a cross to me. He just looks like a rough coat Jack.

That's how it looks to me too.

I'm sure both my Jacks would love to give me a dental cleaning if I let them. Another thing I notice common in Jacks is sticking out their tongue a lot when being sooked, and also a bit of licking thier own front lips/gums.

Fez (Toy poodle and youngest) does it to Cindy (whippet and a few weeks older than fez both about 8months) when he is excited or just being affectionate, then Cindy does it to Julie (standard poodle who is 2 1/2yrs) both the pups would do it to midge our elderly Foxie if she wasn't so cranky, They get the odd lick in before she tells em to go away :shrug:

I think it is affection/ submissive and sometimes just cause it seems like a good idea :crazy:

Both poodles are human lickers as well, but Cindy and Midge are not.

Im pretty sure its a bonding thing with the pack, my dogs all do it to each other except the males that is, but the neuters and females groom all the other dogs, eyes ears and mouths, i think its a reconnection thing to confirm the bonds, lions do it also.