Banshee Is Back Home

yellowgirl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a shame that a family can accept a dog with issues, and then get all in a fuss over toilet training ffs.

No offence but they sound like idiots.

Im sure there would be more to it.

It would be quite awful for all rescues to come on here bitching about returned dogs. It is disheartning at times, but it is ALWAYS for the best.

That's a shame that a family can accept a dog with issues, and then get all in a fuss over toilet training ffs.

It would be quite awful for all rescues to come on here bitching about returned dogs. It is disheartning at times, but it is ALWAYS for the best.

I agree, if they arent prepared to toilet train then yes, she shoudl be back where she was...totally for the best.

Liek you say though, probably a bit more to it but I can only base my opinion on the fact they supposedly returned the dog due to toilet training. IMO if thats the reason, then youre an idiot.

I agree, if they arent prepared to toilet train then yes, she shoudl be back where she was...totally for the best.

Liek you say though, probably a bit more to it but I can only base my opinion on the fact they supposedly returned the dog due to toilet training. IMO if thats the reason, then youre an idiot.

I'm an idiot?

I'm an idiot?

LOL no, I meant anyone who doesnt keep a dog due to toilet training (if that is the true reason)

The "youre" was meant to be general LOL

Sometimes people are all fine about the "issues" that any dog may come with - but when they have to live the reality of it all... well... it can be a bit more than they bargained for...

The great thing is that yellowgirl has taken Banshee back, and she's doing just fine now...

T.

I think you are being a bit hard on the family considering the dog had so many issues.
We have also spent thousands on our rescues as a group and they too were worth it, but I could not personally take on an unknown quantity with a young family. That is all I am saying.

No one is asking you to?!

Don't worry about it Aziah :) . It seems one of Chewy's main aims in life is to find fault with me and/or my motives in any given situation :)

No, I think that Chewy is more concerned about the ethics of rehoming a dog with temperament issues to a home with young children. This issue concerns me too, but I didn't read the original thread.

Please don't make it personal.

That's a joke :rofl: ;)

If people had bothered to read the whole of Banshee's story before criticising yellowgirl, they would have known that the getting to know and adoption process took place over several weeks which included short stays with the family before the final adoption took place. People are too quick to "give advice" without even bothering to find out half the story.

As for Chewbacca being concerned about ethics, well to be dealing that card in relation to Yellowgirl is really going much too far :(:o .

Why people have to circle like sharks just because an adoption doesn't work out is beyond me.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Sometimes people are all fine about the "issues" that any dog may come with - but when they have to live the reality of it all... well... it can be a bit more than they bargained for...

The great thing is that yellowgirl has taken Banshee back, and she's doing just fine now...

T.

I have found that it is really common for some people to agree to or want to take on dogs that have issues, possibly not understanding what impact those issues will have, or feeling as though the issues will be easily overcome. Unfortunately, these poor dogs are returned at a higher rate than other dogs that don't have any issues.

Dogs are not returned because they have a couple of toilet accidents. Dogs are returned because the new owners are not prepared to put in the effort to help the dog settle into a toilet routine in its new home. They haven't bonded with the dog, for whatever reason. The toilet accidents may be blamed, but the real reason is often not admitted.

I think its good that Banshee is going to stay with Yellowgirl instead of being sold again, but hope that her other dogs handle it ok.

Yellowgirl, also be aware that a dog being rehomed will often exhibit behaviors which indicate stress and or unhappiness. Including losing all toilet training. It is possible or probable that these behaviours will cease once the dog has settled, but sometimes, they go on because the dog, for one reason or another, is terribly unhappy. Maybe it's not such a bad thing - maybe she was trying to tell them something??

And if they didn't have time to toilet her, would they have time to care for her in times of need, or when she is old? No, not the right home.

IMHO, when something like this happened, and I gnashed and snivelled because I thought I had a good home for the dog, something else happened to show me that it hadn't been the right home. Maybe a better home would come along - or maybe the dog was meant to stay with me.

I remember Nellie - Nellie was a biggish dog, supposed to be a malamute x - and perhaps she is. No one would take her. She was a nice dog, good watch dog, obedient, not terribly brave, but not a loony. Some people took her, and returned her because she hid in the laundry, which I thought quite strange. I wondered if they had terrified her.

I resigned myself to having Nellie forever. Then my friend lost her dog after 15 years, and she was keen, as she wanted to register a "black and white female dog" with council for 30 years.

Nellie has been here for nearly 8 years now, friend says she is the dog who never does any wrong. And she doesn't. It would be difficult to find a nicer, easier going, well behaved dog. My friend says Nellie is just the perfect dog --- and she is.

Good luck, don't despair. :rofl:

Wow... way to turn an update thread into a "bash yellowgirl for rehoming a dog" thread.

I'm glad she's back home, and I do believe that the toileting was the only issue, some people just don't understand what taking on a new dog involves and some expect them to be perfect which is hardly the case with ANY dog. If they didn't have time for toilet training it makes you wonder if they really did have time for a dog in general.

When I took on one of the poodles from my mothers place I fully expected toileting issues to begin with... entire male in a new house with new smells, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he's going to try and pull a swifty and mark 'his' new territory.

I never believe what people tell me :thumbsup: I don't believe toilet was the only reason and I don't think it was the other issues either. They just weren't right for her.

Don't despair the right people will be round the corner and if not then I guess she will stay with you and be loved unconditionally. When people adopt a dog which is ill or has some cranky or unusual behaviours if they are the right people they manage them. Don't beat yourself up and no one else has the right to either as you have gone above and beyond to try to ensure it was the right place for her.

I never believe what people tell me :thumbsup: I don't believe toilet was the only reason and I don't think it was the other issues either. They just weren't right for her.

Don't despair the right people will be round the corner and if not then I guess she will stay with you and be loved unconditionally. When people adopt a dog which is ill or has some cranky or unusual behaviours if they are the right people they manage them. Don't beat yourself up and no one else has the right to either as you have gone above and beyond to try to ensure it was the right place for her.

We can all learn from this if we look at what went wrong and how it could have been avoided.

If people are going to make their stories public, they will get criticism as well as credit. That is to be expected on a public forum. We all have a right to put forward our views on rescue practices and ethics. Nobody is above criticism.

There are some issues that make some dogs unsuitable for sale as pets. I am not surprised this poor dog was returned. The same scenario could easily happen again if the dog is offered for sale again, as the dog has some issues that affect its adoptability.

We can all learn from this if we look at what went wrong and how it could have been avoided.

If people are going to make their stories public, they will get criticism as well as credit. That is to be expected on a public forum. We all have a right to put forward our views on rescue practices and ethics. Nobody is above criticism.

There are some issues that make some dogs unsuitable for sale as pets. I am not surprised this poor dog was returned. The same scenario could easily happen again if the dog is offered for sale again, as the dog has some issues that affect its adoptability.

I state again, that had you read Banshee's story you would (or at least most people would) recognise that YG did EVERYTHING possible, she didn't hold back on all and any of Banshee's problems, she made the people go away and come back several times, she had the people have Banshee for overnight stays which apparently were wonderful.

It is ridiculous that any criticism should be levelled here, only commiserations and and a lurking snigger (a good one :eek::) ) that Banshee knows when she is onto a good thing :thumbsup::eek: .

As for stressing the "sold", "for sale" side of it, well you are just trying to get one under the belt.

I state again, that had you read Banshee's story you would (or at least most people would) recognise that YG did EVERYTHING possible, she didn't hold back on all and any of Banshee's problems, she made the people go away and come back several times, she had the people have Banshee for overnight stays which apparently were wonderful.

There is no doubt that Yellowgirl went to a lot of effort to get this dog into a home. That is not to say she did everything possible, as that would be ridiculous. Nobody could do everything possible. There hasn't been any criticism of her efforts to screen the home anyway.

However there is now a situation where a family has been upset, a dog has been unsettled and confused, and Yellowgirl has a dog at home that her own dogs do not get along with. It isn't surprising that many people do not want a rescue dog when problems like this are being made public.

I have read Banshee's story now, and believe that different decisions could have been made that could have avoided problems.

It is ridiculous that any criticism should be levelled here, only commiserations and and a lurking snigger (a good one :eek::) ) that Banshee knows when she is onto a good thing :thumbsup::eek: .

This is a discussion forum. If no discussion is wanted, maybe Yellowgirl should have written her story in another forum. Commiserations are not as helpful as feedback as to what may have caused the problem to occur, it's up to Yellowgirl and everyone else reading whether to listen to criticism or ignore it. Some many learn something from this topic, many won't.

As for stressing the "sold", "for sale" side of it, well you are just trying to get one under the belt.

Actually I am looking at it from the point of view of the new dog owner and from the legal point of view. The word "adopted' is the real euphemism, not the word "sold." I will continue to use the word where ever people are selling dogs, as pets or otherwise.

I would rather you stay on topic and not talk about me.

We can all learn from this if we look at what went wrong and how it could have been avoided

I know exactly what you are saying but the next one will probably be a completely different scenario. I think YG should join with a reputable rescue group for support for any future dogs in need. The issue with taking a fee when you are not part of a rescue group is that it is simply a sale and not an adoption.

I must confess that when I independantly rescued I would get the vet work done and request that a donationation be made to my choice of shelter or rescue group. If I couldn't have managed the cost I would not have been able to do it at that time.Those dogs are all still chipped to me. There were only a few as I had moved to a new area and so left my old group behind but wanted to continue till I found a group I knew had the same ideals as myself. Plug here for SAFE PERTH...doing it well.

I do honestly believe though that YG has absolutely done all she could possibly have done to ensure this was a good option for Banshee, if she had been with a reputable rescue group the same thing could have happened but it wouldn't be posted on here :thumbsup: Maybe it was too soon, we don't know as we haven't met the dog. When a dog has a few issues it can sometimes be a tough call to get both the timing and the family right.

It is a shame that things did not work out for Banshee, however perhaps it was for the best.

I think Yellowgirl did everything possible to ensure the adopters were fully informed and willing to take on Banshee.

I don't think either party was really "at fault", sometimes things like this just happen.

I can't see any problem with selling the dog either. The labourer is worthy of his hire. When I rescued, I did sell the dogs I could. Some I gave away.

Complaining about "adoptions" vs "sales" is getting into PETA territory, bagging breeders for making a profit.