Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Is there any retail outlets that stock this? The website for the WA stockist is down and I find that the hassle of tracking down a supplier and going to pick it up negates possible cost benefits.

No there isn't but the NSW rep only charges us $10 for delivery which appears really reasonable

I emailed the VIC people and they just directed my email to the appropriate person and we went from there. So far seems hassle free.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah the canidae posts are a mystery, the two posting about the food seem to have run away!

You say some really odd things :o - I can't believe its been a whole day since I last posted :(

If you would actually like to know - anniek and I have been having an offline discussion. Thanks to our brief exchange in this thread, we've identified we have a common issue with our dogs and she's given me some good ideas of things to try.

Im not sure if this is your first Pointer (no offence intended) but Pointers as a breed can really struggle to hold weight. I dont think 3 cups sounds like too much at all.

What does everyone use for a cup measure? I have a little plastic cup with measurments on the side, the cup holds 160ml, mine get 1 and 1/4 of that cup each. Cooper is bigger so he gets a bit extra.

I have a friend who was using a coffee cup to feed her lot and the cup held well over 250 mls so effectivley she was giving them 2 feeds in one, she wondered why they were not eating the whole lot.

English Ivy, 3 cups a day sounds like a huge amount especially if he gets other stuff, but i guess it depends on what size cup?

I use one of the plastic measuring cups I got with a bag of ProPlan years ago. Never really measured it, think I will today. Badger is hard to keep weight on but 3 cups does seem like a lot. Might cut back a little and watch how he takes the drop in food.

Yeah the canidae posts are a mystery, the two posting about the food seem to have run away!

You say some really odd things :) - I can't believe its been a whole day since I last posted :rofl:

If you would actually like to know - anniek and I have been having an offline discussion. Thanks to our brief exchange in this thread, we've identified we have a common issue with our dogs and she's given me some good ideas of things to try.

Oh dear then I must be the other one!

Pity I have to go to work now and then to earn money to buy dog food :eek:

firstly, i think the canidae discussion was just a side chat inside this thread and it started cuz a BH feeder found herself short so asked a question --- i didn't see anything wrong with it but it might have been a tad self-serving or gratuitous perhaps, particularly posting the pic; not for me to judge tho :)

secondly, i think the BH label suggests not to supplement when feeding BH and i take that as suggesting no additional vitamins and or minerals...

lastly:

i feed my two [8 kig, 7 kig] just under a quarter cup each of BH in the mornings; for interest, i add either a quarter of one slice of low fat cheese, crumbled up and mixed in with the kibble OR i'll mix in 25g of nature's gift OR i'll add about a soup spoon of bbq chicken...

during the day they MIGHT get rmb OR a beef tendon but that's every other day [so not every day] but commonly, i'll do some training with them using liver treats, cabanossi or paws fresh chicken...

at night, they get a mix of barf, leafy green pulp, some nature's gift biogestion5, some bbq chicken and a few pieces of paws fresh chicken to which i supplement with ACV and omegas...

before bed, they get a small amount of nibbles with a small amount of BH added :eek:

Guest english.ivy
Is there any retail outlets that stock this? The website for the WA stockist is down and I find that the hassle of tracking down a supplier and going to pick it up negates possible cost benefits.

No there isn't. Just one lady who lives near the Canine Assoc. I can give you her number if you like? She is often at the Canine Assoc.

The quality of the food out ways the effort I go to get it. I live past Joondalup and I still buy it :thumbsup:

Not a huge fan of talking on the phone out of work after doing it all day. Kibble makes up such a tiny portion of my boys diet it seems like a bit of effort, especially since I only have the one dog who would be lucky to get 3 cups of kibble a week. :laugh:

Text and email seem really popular these days ;) But why then ask about the food if you have no intention of feeding it anyway?

You say some really odd things

I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm not sure if this is your first Pointer (no offense intended) but Pointers as a breed can really struggle to hold weight. I don't think 3 cups sounds like too much at all.

Badger is my third Pointer but first Pointer I've raised on this kind of diet. No offense taken. My mums current Pointer was very thin for until she was about two, but now she has too much weight but sadly my mum can't see this. Guess that's better than a Pointer who has bones sticking out everywhere. So I'm doing my best to keep Badger at the perfect weight and condition for a Pointer ;)

I prefer to be able to pick up my dog food whenever too. Lucky for me I can get an identical product to Black Hawk in my local produce store. I have been feeding this product for over a year now btw which is why I post in this thread.

No there isn't. Just one lady who lives near the Canine Assoc. I can give you her number if you like? She is often at the Canine Assoc.

The quality of the food out ways the effort I go to get it. I live past Joondalup and I still buy it :)

Not a huge fan of talking on the phone out of work after doing it all day. Kibble makes up such a tiny portion of my boys diet it seems like a bit of effort, especially since I only have the one dog who would be lucky to get 3 cups of kibble a week. ;)

Text and email seem really popular these days :D But why then ask about the food if you have no intention of feeding it anyway?

You say some really odd things

I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm not sure if this is your first Pointer (no offense intended) but Pointers as a breed can really struggle to hold weight. I don't think 3 cups sounds like too much at all.

Badger is my third Pointer but first Pointer I've raised on this kind of diet. No offense taken. My mums current Pointer was very thin for until she was about two, but now she has too much weight but sadly my mum can't see this. Guess that's better than a Pointer who has bones sticking out everywhere. So I'm doing my best to keep Badger at the perfect weight and condition for a Pointer :)

I asked about it because although not much my boy still gets kibble and I was wondering if it is available in retail because I would like to support an Australian company but not so keen on chasing down a supplier.

Who made you the black hawk police? Isn't this thread for asking questions about the product? Or can you only do that if you already feed it.

Badger is my third Pointer but first Pointer I've raised on this kind of diet. No offense taken. My mums current Pointer was very thin for until she was about two, but now she has too much weight but sadly my mum can't see this. Guess that's better than a Pointer who has bones sticking out everywhere. So I'm doing my best to keep Badger at the perfect weight and condition for a Pointer :thanks:

I only commented because you said this

Badger is hard to keep weight on but 3 cups does seem like a lot. Might cut back a little and watch how he takes the drop in food.

If your dog is hard to keep weight on, I dont know why you would consider feeding less when 3 cups is not much for a Pointer anyway, just because someone on a forum mentioned it might be too much. But glad you are doing the best to keep him the perfect weight.

Edited by groupfive

sheena, seeing as you agree with me. What do you feed with your BH? Or do you just feed it on its own?

dol politics does my head in sometimes.

She is an 18 kilo BC & in the mornings she gets a turkey neck & at night she gets a cup of BH with about 100 grams of roo mince (enough to stick her proban tablets in). Every 5th night she gets a tin of sardines with her BH instead of the mince.

Im not sure if this is your first Pointer (no offence intended) but Pointers as a breed can really struggle to hold weight. I dont think 3 cups sounds like too much at all.
What does everyone use for a cup measure? I have a little plastic cup with measurments on the side, the cup holds 160ml, mine get 1 and 1/4 of that cup each. Cooper is bigger so he gets a bit extra.

I have a friend who was using a coffee cup to feed her lot and the cup held well over 250 mls so effectivley she was giving them 2 feeds in one, she wondered why they were not eating the whole lot.

English Ivy, 3 cups a day sounds like a huge amount especially if he gets other stuff, but i guess it depends on what size cup?

I use one of the plastic measuring cups I got with a bag of ProPlan years ago. Never really measured it, think I will today. Badger is hard to keep weight on but 3 cups does seem like a lot. Might cut back a little and watch how he takes the drop in food.

3 cups is definately not too much for a pointer. Mine eat quite abit. I tried Black Hawk and was un-happy with it. Gave my dogs bad skin so they went back on to 100% raw but I am looking at trying two other drys now as I do like to feed a cup or two with their raw each day.

All my pointers get breakfast and dinner if they didnt they would lose weight very fast.

I'm considering feeding this to my dog as I think she has lost condition on Ziwipeak (and other brands) and her stools are often loose on Ziwipeak, Innova Evo etc.

I've emailed the NSW distributor to see if I can get a sample to try on her - or I will buy a 3KG bag.

It's funny buying a bag of food that is larger than your dog :)

As far as I am aware there is only Wendy and myself who are WA distributors of Black Hawk.

My 30kg Dobe used to get 6 cups of Active premuim dog food daily to keep her weight on, plus other little things here and there.

Rommi (11kgs) gets around 3/4 to 1 cup of BH and a little of something else ie meat, sardines etc

Lewis (14.8kgs) gets around 1 1/4 cups it is a cooking measuring cup.

Exactly how much they get depends on their body condition and what they have done in the day.

Edited by OSoSwift

I am getting my delivery of my first bag of Black Hawk today or tomorrow :rofl:

I was lucky to find a supplier who is only 15 minutes away and drives near my house several times a week. :)

Jet is doing really well on it. Hardly any scratching and he eats it straight away. When he was on other dry foods he used to leave it for a while and wasn't very interested. So very happy and impressed.

Edited by ♥JJ

Jet is doing really well on it. Hardly any scratching and he eats it straight away. When he was on other dry foods he used to leave it for a while and wasn't very interested. So very happy and impressed.

I've found that too, previously we had to mix my boy's dry food with something to get him to eat it otherwise he'd leave it.

The other night I was doing some training with Diesel, I had some cheese, cabanossi, chicken and all his high value rewards he goes nuts for mixed in with a little Black Hawk. He spat out all the other treats till I gave him some BH :)

• 3 weeks later...