Showing A Puppy

kat99

Hi okay well im getting a puppy in jan 2011 and im looking for someone on the centralcoast that could show me how to stack a puppy , and also can u teach it to sit stay and drop and also stack would it know the differnce if so how do u do this the breeder im getting the pup off lives a long way away so im asking her heaps of questions plus maybe someone here coudl help also .

Yes, do repost in the show forum, you'll get far more show-orientated replies there.

And also, do feel free to use expanded versions of words. This is a forum, we're not limited to the number of characters sent per message (within reason of course) and many people won't respond to posts that use text speak. Just a little hint that's all... :(

Hi okay well im getting a puppy in jan 2011 and im looking for someone on the centralcoast that could show me how to stack a puppy , and also can u teach it to sit stay and drop and also stack would it know the differnce if so how do u do this the breeder im getting the pup off lives a long way away so im asking her heaps of questions plus maybe someone here coudl help also .

Yes, you can teach your dog the difference.

I did Obedience training with a Schipperke for a long time before she ever stepped into the Show Ring.

The concern being that she would 'sit' at heel as soon as I stopped walking, however the 'hand signal' for 'stand' aleviated this problem as she had also been taught 'stand'.

As with any training your puppy will have to learn a bit at a time so as not to confuse her. And your 'signals' and 'voice commands ' will need to be clear and distinctive.

Edited by LizT

Yes, do repost in the show forum, you'll get far more show-orientated replies there.

And also, do feel free to use expanded versions of words. This is a forum, we're not limited to the number of characters sent per message (within reason of course) and many people won't respond to posts that use text speak. Just a little hint that's all... :thumbsup:

LOL

And also, do feel free to use expanded versions of words. This is a forum, we're not limited to the number of characters sent per message (within reason of course) and many people won't respond to posts that use text speak. Just a little hint that's all... :thumbsup:

The gramma ain't great but where have they used text speak? Other than putting U rather than you which many do around here?

Anyhow, what breed are you getting kat99, might be easier for people to help if they know what you have.

Also personally I dont teach sit for quite some time (atleast til after my dog has a clear understanding of what stand means and whats expected in the ring) I saw a friend make this mistake, she went all out teaching the puppy as soon as they got it and the poor puppy used to get so confused and would sit for the judge rather than stand.

Also personally I dont teach sit for quite some time (atleast til after my dog has a clear understanding of what stand means and whats expected in the ring) I saw a friend make this mistake, she went all out teaching the puppy as soon as they got it and the poor puppy used to get so confused and would sit for the judge rather than stand.

That is unless you get a smart little puppy who learns how to sit by watching the other dogs and thinking if they get food for putting their butt on the ground she should do so as well.

lucky she is so food oriented she will stand for food more than sit but she will sit on command as well if she thinks that is the jackpot for food.

That is unless you get a smart little puppy who learns how to sit by watching the other dogs and thinking if they get food for putting their butt on the ground she should do so as well.

lucky she is so food oriented she will stand for food more than sit but she will sit on command as well if she thinks that is the jackpot for food.

:thumbsup: I own pugs and pointers...neither are very smart! I must say thou my newest pointer is rather smart and I have taught her more earlier because I thought she was capable of understanding when things are appopriate!

I'm showing a puppy at the moment and also doing obedience at beginners level. He knows the difference between sit and stand and it didn't take him long to figure it out.

I now need to teach him "stand still, for goodness sake".

Hi guys thanks heaps for your replies ,

Well i have being offered my a breeder i got my first dog off a 5 month old bitch she has being to two shows took out bob last wkend and she is show trained but still young enough , to bond with my kid she is use to kids and also other dogs and animals and so i can just teach her , obedince , the lady has moved to vic . but she is helping me heaps as much as she can .

sorry guys for my bad spelling , I have always being like this and do Try my best guys .

im going to get her after i have my baby in november , the lady a god freind and she only kept 3 dogs when moving from nsw to vic and that was a old bitch and a stud dog and this young bitch and she offered her to me only to me . as she said i know she will get well looked after and loved and she wants to get her daughter a smaller breed to start with . so im very lucky to have this girl and i think she will go far in the show ring .

The breed is Belgian shepherd gronedale . i have two desexed terv boys , but decided on not getting anotherr terv when my girl was taken this year from the property witch now has dead locks and cameras .

p.s i will post in the show forum as im a newbie and need to learn learn learn

Never thought of that.

Stacking my pup is like trying to stack an armful of jelly. I get the front end organised and the back end sags and collapses, I get that arranged and the front end bounces and licks.

Hahaha...making the idea of getting into showing so enticing! Tee hee!

Stacking my pup is like trying to stack an armful of jelly. I get the front end organised and the back end sags and collapses, I get that arranged and the front end bounces and licks.

:laugh:

I thought I was the only one with a bag of worms!!