Where Do You Bath Your Dog?

lanabanana

I have a hydrabath. I still probably only wash mine once a month. Mine could be done more often, not because of smells but because they are...pink. I have red soil, so have black and pink border collies! I get soooo bored of the comments. A heap of people think it is their natural colour.

The ultra-rare black-and-pink border collies, could be a Christmas winner for Deshonko Kennels!

People that think it is their real colour think it looks bootiful! So yes I would make a fortune. Just got to roll those pups in the dirt a bit....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest belgian.blue

Before I laid lawn the yard was horrible black sand and Badger was always dusty and STUNK! So he was washed in the bathtub about once a fortnight.

Now he's bathed once a month at the most, his coat has been lasting longer lately. Ivy just gets brushed, with a bath a few times a year to remove loose coat. Groenendaels are a self cleaning breed.

Both are in the bathtub with a hand hose thingy and warm water and a natural, chemical free soap, quick towel dry in the bathroom [gets messy :grouphug: ] then right outside for a major shake off and more drying.

My back couldn't handle washing dogs once a week. I've thought about trying Badger in the shower with me, he's great in the tub. Just stands there looking sad but never tries to get out.

Deakin gets washed in the bath, he mostly sits there and sulks though latley he tries to sit on the bath ledge to avoid the water. He gets bathed every now and then when he is dirty or when I want him to be clean.

Watson get bathed in the shower or tub depending on whats easier on the day. He gets bathed when ever he is dirty. He doesn't have great aim and is fond of sitting in/walking/ rolling in his poo so he is done a lot more often then deakin.

Is it necessary to bath dogs regularly?

My GSD has been washed twice in 8.5 years and looks and smells clean. My Golden is a mud-seeker, so he gets hosed down every now and then, shampoo if it's really bad. Sometimes he gets a bit on the nose, so we use a medicated shampoo regularly for a while until he's back to normal.

Both of mine get in the shower with either myself or my husband. One person washes, the other dries.

They actually enjoy it! Getting Abby (the Staffy) out from under the water so you can wash yourself is almost impossible.

I have washed Harry (Rotty) at the local pet wash once, and if I do it again will be taking my own shampoo - but for a quick, thorough, warm wash with a warm dryer, I was pretty happy with my $3 spend :)

Videos on YouTube of Abby:

and

ETA: I LOVE the Dane in the shower!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by annette.tas

that's funny. i was reading this thread yesterday thinking how good my doggies were and how they didn't need a wash for a while yet. lo and behold i come home last night with one of them covered in mud and had to take her into the shower to get washed. and then while washing her thinking of this thread and how nifty it would be if i did have a hand held shower nozzle instead of just relying on brute strength to force my 30kg wolfhound cross to stay still under the faucet so I could wash off the mud. :thumbsup::)

My border get's washed in the shower mostly. Even with the warm water she hates it! She gives me the sad eyes and that look that is just asking how I could ever do something like this to her!

I've never really thought about how often I wash her before, I suppose once every 6 weekss in colder weather and more in warm weather. She always gets a wash and some whitening powder before a party.

It takes about 2 hours from first splash to final drying, and I'm about to get another border! I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment :thumbsup:

Edited by Bracken

both beagles, once or twice a month depending on whats been rolled in, in the shower with me! They are experts now, have a routine, and are slowing liking the water more and more (they dont like water as a rule) but we have a lovely time and I take it slow, letting them get used to the warm water and we play a little. One at a time only, then send out to OH for drying and conditioning (aloveen). Then they do zoomies around the house for an hour or so til they calm down. Lots of fun.

Sonny my 2.5 year old Border Collie gets bathed in his Booster Bath outside. It is one of the best things I have ever purchased, saves your back & Sonny loves it. Jumps straight up into it himself & I also dry him in there. As I am short, Hydro baths were just a bit too tall for me. You can run these off your laundry taps but I am lucky enough to have hot/cold water outside so washing him is a breeze. Another bonus with them is they only weigh 6kg, so are fully portable & easy to store with removable legs & can hold up to 75 kg. It also comes with a built in harness if need be but I took it off as Sonny just stands there, he loves his baths. :laugh:

My border get's washed in the shower mostly. Even with the warm water she hates it! She gives me the sad eyes and that look that is just asking how I could ever do something like this to her!

I've never really thought about how often I wash her before, I suppose once every 6 weekss in colder weather and more in warm weather. She always gets a wash and some whitening powder before a party.

It takes about 2 hours from first splash to final drying, and I'm about to get another border! I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment :laugh:

Hi Bracken, when I wash Sonny my BC at least once a month, ( i am very lucky cause he loves it ) it takes me the same about 2 hours & like you I am about to get a little girl, hopefully mid Feb, 2011. They are very addictive or we are just out of our mind. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

My big dog goes to the groomer well she comes to me and that is maybe once or twice a year. The little dogs have not been bathed in over two years they do not smell and a quick groom gets rid of any dirt in their coats. With my older dogs when they were alive I bathed them once a month all their lives but I do not find it necessary anymore. I also think that my dogs coats now are in fact healthier than the others.

When Darcy was little he used to sit outside the shower while I was in there, with his nose pressed up against the glass, crying :D He didn't particularly like it once he was in there, but if I was in there and he wasn't, he wanted to come in anyway :rofl: So that is how I bathed him until we moved, now we live with my parents so we wait for a hot day and he gets washed in the backyard under the hose. I'd rather put him in the bathtub but I can just see my mother having a heart attack if I did that :rofl: