Comon Things People Dont Realise About Your Breed

MonElite

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRT's will not suddenly turn on you and bite you for no reason.

JRT's, if given the correct training and exercise, are very easy to live with and are very smart and trainable.

JRT's lose coat, there is no such thing as a non shedding Jack, and the Smooth coats lose a LOT more hair than the Brokens & Roughs.

And the biggest thing of all .... Not all little tan & white dogs are JRT's!!!!

JRT's will not suddenly turn on you and bite you for no reason.

JRT's, if given the correct training and exercise, are very easy to live with and are very smart and trainable.

JRT's lose coat, there is no such thing as a non shedding Jack, and the Smooth coats lose a LOT more hair than the Brokens & Roughs.

And the biggest thing of all .... Not all little tan & white dogs are JRT's!!!!

:confused::laugh: :laugh:

Something people don't realise about "my breed" (Australian Shepherds) is that they can have a Naturally Bobbed Tail; meaning that we are infact NOT big mean nasty lawbreaking dog hoarders who dock tails illegally and make our dogs go through ALL the pain of docking. *eye roll*

Edited by Parkeyre

that just because my working malinois is reasonably sane in public that does not meat that everyone else needs to go get one and it will be exactly the same as mine :laugh:

OMG, snap. I have had several people recently ask me what my dog is, and say she's pretty, and where did I get her.

Yes, she is pretty. No, you don't want one. :confused:

Strangely enough, or perhaps not strangely, I didn't used to get that when she was a bit younger and she greeted strangers by shrieking and flailing and gnashing her teeth with excitement (and occasionally biting their trousers). It's only since she has learned appropriate manners & some impulse control that she's suddenly become attractive to random strangers!

People never believe me when I say my Italian Greyhound is lazy and he doesn't even really like to go for walks! "Oh but he's so skinny! You must run him alot". Nup.. three times a week he gets a run in the park tops? He'd much rather sleep all the time. lol

Also.. no, they are not underweight! Iggies are meant to be skinny (yet toned!).

that just because my working malinois is reasonably sane in public that does not meat that everyone else needs to go get one and it will be exactly the same as mine :laugh:

OMG, snap. I have had several people recently ask me what my dog is, and say she's pretty, and where did I get her.

Yes, she is pretty. No, you don't want one. :confused:

Strangely enough, or perhaps not strangely, I didn't used to get that when she was a bit younger and she greeted strangers by shrieking and flailing and gnashing her teeth with excitement (and occasionally biting their trousers). It's only since she has learned appropriate manners & some impulse control that she's suddenly become attractive to random strangers!

Oh god I get so worried about this. Heaps of people see my dog and are like, doberman aye? Our last dog (labrador or whatever - some typically submissive breed) was terrible, but dobermans seem perfect... I try really hard to push the point that the training started the second I met the dog, and it will never end.

Not related to a specific breed but a dog thing in general - I always get comments about how 'skinny' my dogs are! Umm, no they are a perfect weight and they are supposed to have a waist! (I have a Doberman, a JRT, a JRTx, a Maltese x Shih Tzu and a AMSTAFFx)

Must be rare though, every new vet I go to seem surprised and always comment that it is nice to see fit, lean dogs.

Guest belgian.blue
I haven't heard any misconceptions about my dog, because many people don't know what an Airedale is. :confused:

I saw an Airedale the other day and started drooling :laugh:

The Miniature Pinschers:

* that they don't need a lot of exercise because they are small. In actuality they DO require a lot of exercise (+ mental stimulation, they're intelligent), or at least mine do. :confused:

* that they can be carried everywhere and treated like a toy. They are not a lapdog breed like a Lhasa Apso or Maltese; they were bred with the purpose of hunting vermin. They need to feel like they have a 'task' or that energy goes back into your YARD!

* that they are robust. Neither of mine particularly enjoys rough and tumble games; they're built quite delicately and they are often jumping out of the way of Carl and Jag during playing.

The Bichon Frise:

* that they require a ton of grooming. They don't! At least not when you keep them shaved. :cheer:

* that they are a great 'family' dog. Au contraire, they can be tough little things to train, stubborn and willful.

What weisnjac said!!

And on another note, i would like to get a T shirt that says- "Yes, i have 5 dogs. No i am not some kind of freak. Yes i have a nice clean house. No my backyard is not a mud patch. And yes, funnily enough- people DO visit us, even with our 5 dogs.."

Haha I need the same t-shirt Tamara, except mine would say '4 dogs and 6 cats'. :confused:

The one that I found funny was people thinking that Greyhound puppies would be like baby couch potatoes - nup, they are just as active and naughty as any other puppy! Pia is 15mths old now and is just settling into couch potato mode. But I shouldn't complain, because if certain people had not had such expectations, we would not have ended up with her. :cheer:

1. There is no such thing as an ENGLISH Staffordshire Bull Terrier

2. There is no sucht thing as a Staffordshire Terrier. The breeds are Staffordshire BULL Terrier and AMERICAN Staffordshire Terrier

2. It does not make you tough if you own one. Balls are grown and attached not purchased.

3. There is no such thing as a pure black Stafford

4. Staffords make very poor "guard dogs". They do however make very good "watch dogs" because they will happily watch a burglar walk away with your TV and DVD and more than likely hop in the car with them.

OMG one of my pet hates is people saying "english staffy".

And I don't even have a Stafford... LOL

There's a petstore near where I work selling.. get this.. 6 week old English Staffies. :confused::cheer:

That Berners are born sedate, calm and placid....17 months & she is only now starting to settle down!

That we must spend a fortune on food/she must eat a lot....

We get this alot too! Last time was when we were buying the biggest bag of dog food (PetBarn had a special deal :love: ) and one of the shop people said, "that'll last, what two weeks?"

You'd be surprised how little my boy eats! Those big bags last us 6-8 weeks (think they're about 15Kg bags)