'unusual' Looking Dogs

CrazyCresties

I tire of the 'ha ha, your dog looks like it ran into a parked car' type comments. People don't seem to realise that its not an original comment. :rolleyes:

But then, I was going to call Boofy "Splat" but my husband wouldn't let me.

Edited by ~Anne~

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit sad when people in Australia don't know what an Aussie Terrier is!! I get told mine should have longer coat and that they should be smaller (I tell them that they must be thinking of a Silky and then explain the differences)

People that do recognise them usually comment that they, or someone they know, had one years ago and that they were a great little dog.

If I'm not sure of a breed, I will just ask "what breed..." and wouldn't make an assumption that it was a cross.

Yeah, but you're a dog nerd. ;) Not everyone is that sensitive. ;)

I've never had anyone argue with me about my breeds. They might insist Erik looks like a shepherd cross, and I say "Yes, a lot of people say that.", but they don't insist he IS a shepherd cross. :D I have had people say things like "Well, with that breed probably this sized bed would be about right." while I have Kivi with me and I'm thinking "Do you know what breed he is? 'Cause most people don't and you seem to be avoiding actually saying the breed while sounding like you know what he is." I guess maybe some people get offended when people don't know what breed they have, so folks learn to at least sound like they know. ;)

@Mim- Elle is soooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!

People at the vet always ask what is Gypsy, not many have seen silver dapple in my country town. Theres a few sausage dogs around but none like her!

My other half, my brother and his' friends always call her ugly dog......

Or fail, or old looking....

Look at this face!!

SAM_0167.jpg

@Mim- Elle is soooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!

People at the vet always ask what is Gypsy, not many have seen silver dapple in my country town. Theres a few sausage dogs around but none like her!

My other half, my brother and his' friends always call her ugly dog......

Or fail, or old looking....

Look at this face!!

My own daughter calls my guys 'the fuglies'. :o

Anyway, the point of this post. Muddy is an unusual looking dog. He is a long coated corgi which throws people off enough as not many people know they can be long coated and then to make it more confusing he is also a tricolour which isn't as common as the red and white colouring.

Nobody has ever guessed his breed correctly, even when walking him with the other 2 corgis (who are so easy to recognise yet people STILL get it wrong) and I mostly get told he's a border collie :o

He's a tea-cup Border Collie! :D

Wow.. I WISH I saw more of these beautiful 'rarer' breeds out and about.. I would love to comment and coo over them... I've only ever seen one Great Dane around my area as well.. :o

Tilly is gorgeous aswell! She actually looks a lot like my sisters dog Mac. A bit different colouring but built the same, I'll need to put up a pic.

Thanks busterlove, would love to see a picture of Mac!

Tilly's profile looks kind of looks like Quinn in the background of your signature too :cheer:

4469553100_230934a940.jpg

Matilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

This is Mac Attack. 12kg of fury.

2-3.jpg

Well I have 2 Portuguese Water Dogs and they get called "doodles" all the time. I hate Royal Shows. All the stupid questions come out then. What sort of fish do they catch? So they like water? Can they see with all that hair? Grrrrr

Well, I owned a tiny smooth coated chihuahua, she was, in my eyes, beautiful !! I would occasionally take her out and she took residence in my handbag looking ever so smug, people would coo and aaah over her and just had to pat her of which she sometimes objected. Never a negative comment from people I did not know but by jolly, some of my friends seemed to be on the same wavelength when it came to what they had to say about my beloved Phoebe.

They all likened her to a rat :D . But in my eyes she was just adorable so I just laughed and shrugged their comments aside, water of a duck's back. I dont think they were setting out to be "nasty".....they actually believed that humour was at work :cheer: . To each their own, lol.

I must say though that some people really should be a little more discerning when making comments about one's pet and not adopt a negative stance.

post-34961-1289351857_thumb.jpg

I was at the Ve waiting to get my Great Dane puppy weighed. In the waiting room was a couple and the woman looked like she had been crying. I felt for her so much, imagining she just got some bad news about her beloved pet. I stood there thinking "that poor woman, i hope her pet is o.k.".

Anyway as they went to leave they walked past my puppy and she said to me "oh my god! that is most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :o " - talking about my puppy!

It felt worse because I'd been having all those sympathetic feelings for her a moment earlier :D

anyway here he is :cheer: he is over the bridge now.

6wks_Mr_Darcy-IMG_1497.jpg

I was at the Ve waiting to get my Great Dane puppy weighed. In the waiting room was a couple and the woman looked like she had been crying. I felt for her so much, imagining she just got some bad news about her beloved pet. I stood there thinking "that poor woman, i hope her pet is o.k.".

Anyway as they went to leave they walked past my puppy and she said to me "oh my god! that is most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :o " - talking about my puppy!

It felt worse because I'd been having all those sympathetic feelings for her a moment earlier :D

He's not ridiculous! He's smooshable <3 I would have come up to cuddle him!

What a nasty piece of work, she should go and bury her head in the sand. Wonder if she would have been a suitable candidate for Miss Universe pageant? I bet NOT. :rofl:

The fact is that your puppy was cute, I am sure thousands would agree and as for that wench I don't know that I would have been all that polite, treat others as they treat you....that's my moto!

Raineth he is so adorable i don't know how anyone could say he looks ridiculous :D

my puppy has one eye stitched up so occasionally we get comments like 'wow that dog looks like he's been through war' :confused:

but 90% of the time we get an 'awww.. ' and occasionally 'poor doggy' gets added on. it happens so much i think it might be some kind of automatic response

post-32639-1289458646_thumb.jpg

Quinn gets lots of comments when I take her out, her black ears and her white face and her bi-eyes really catch attention. I think she's perfect. Most people don't guess BC though.

White faces really seem to get a lot of attention. We had another white-faced dog in our obedience class who was always getting comments as well. When I tell people Ava is actually mismarked and she should have colour on her head people seem to get really offended even though I really don't care :D

I think all the dogs in this thread are GORGEOUS!

The nerve of some people really, they don't think twice to make a nasty comment about a dog but bet they wouldn't dare tell someone their child is ugly. or tell you that they don't agree on heritage "No your ugly child definitely looks like it's really george and debbie's" (No offence to any George and Debbie's out there I'm sure your children are beautiful!)

I guess though you really have to be a dog person to understand the fur kid bond

My OH and I really want to add a mini bull terrier to our pack down the road so I guess I'll have to get used to other peoples opinions then. :D

Edited by Sezz