Muzzled Dog = Kids Free For All!

Kirty

I took Pia with me to collect my son from school, and afterwards we went to the playground. Pia has to be muzzled because she is not GAP tested (yet) but she is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. :laugh: Anyway, I thought the muzzle would deter people, but nup! I had so many kids come RUNNING up to her wanting to pat her, while their parents sat miles away watching on!! I told every one of them to stop, explained how to approach a dog, etc. They were all nice enough kids, just had no idea about dogs. Pia LOVED all the attention. :eek: Seriously though, surely if you saw a muzzled dog you would tell your kids to stay away from it, or at LEAST ask the owner first!!

I must say though, I was very impressed with three kids who obviously had good parents - they slowly walked up and asked if they could pat her, then offered their hand, and patted her. I made sure I told them how clever they were. :)

When i was at the vets the other day, sitting in the waiting room, i got to observe all sorts of wonderful stuff. One of my favs had to be a young girl come in with her dog muzzled - ok she knows she has an issue and is being responsible - great!

Then a moron with a poodle comes in and lets his dog go right up to the muzzled dog, right into it's face and say hello - the moron was not even paying attention. What was worse was this poodle was on a show leash in a show cut - surely this person should have had a better clue!!!

And as others have said, if the dog is muzzled, well then in the issue of danger is non existent! Obviously they have never wittnessed a determined dog getting out of a muzzle!

and yet I have had people give me a wide berth when Chops has his halti on :rofl: "thats dog has a musslke keep away from it " :rofl:

Same here! I've been asked when Akira is wearing her halti "she's wearing a muzzle, is she dangerous?" and my reply is always "if you don't like being licked to death, then yes she's dangerous". :)

Kirty - I think most people are not concerned about muzzled greyhounds, it is nice seeing them without muzzles in the public.

I have used a gentle leader on a Rottie before and heard "stay away from that nasty dog - it's got a muzzle on". Funny thing is I don't have to say much - her under 10 yo said it better than I could - "It's not a muzzle and not all dogs are mean". I had a giggle and told the kid he is spot on and reassured his mother that her son was right and my dog is not nasty. She got huffy and walked off.

Edited by Andisa

OK - what is GAP registered???

Have passed a test with GAP and has been awarded Green Collar. These dogs don't have to be muzzled.

Kirty do you live in a racing area? I find kids living in those areas know people with kennels of greyhounds, and know they are generally safe with people, and don't have any fear.

Also, really young kids don't know what muzzles are, it depends on if their parents have told them.

Besides that, I find that children are attracted to the way a greyhound will stand still for pats instead of reacting excitedly and jumping around. Even children who are really sacred of dogs will relax at a safe distance and watch, as long as the dog keeps still.

Not a racing area Greytmate. :D And it wasn't so much the kids that amused me, but more the parents letting their kids run up. I did speak to a few parents AFTER it happened and none of them knew that all Greys had to be muzzled. One even told their child it was 'because they are often snappy' - AFTER she let her child pat it! LOL!