Short Break

gusmum

Hello all, I'm thinking of going away for a few days - desperate need of a break. Question is: my lovely Gus is 16yrs old, and I don't know whether to leave him behind (and get distressed without me being around) or take him with me (and get distressed in a new environment, the 3hr drive etc). He's arthritic, a little deaf and blind , but still has a lot of puppy in him. I'd probably fret without him near me, but I want to do what's right for him. What would you do or what have you experienced? Many thanks.

Hi gusmum.

for me it would depend on if he was staying at home with a person he knows and loves while you are away. If he was, I'd leave him home. If not I think I"d take him (if he were my Moo) and take all his things :o so he can smell them and feel OK. Of course, maybe you are planning on being out and sightseeing, so then he would be alone and maybe fret in a new environment. Lils mum may have some ideas in vizslas. He is such a lovely old boy, a great age for a viz :o :D xxxx

Hi Monah, thanks for that advice. I thought I'd be locking myself in this quaint little cottage for a few days, but you're right, I might want to go sightseeing etc. and wouldn't be able to move around so freely if he was with me. Better rethink - or leave him with family. He'll bark & whine & manipulate them. Agent Provocateur!

16? Whoohoo go Gus!!! :)

If it were me I would take him with you.

At that age the worry of what IF something happened to him while I was away would drive me nuts.

Although family and friends are great they will not provide the same level of comfort you will.

I hate being away from my other half and it sounds as though he hates it too.

I always tried to take my 16year old out with me whenever I could.

Have your cake and eat it too. If you can go to a place with refreshing beach views.

There are plenty of bed and breakfasts that take dogs. We also take our dogs to all sorts of restaurants.

He sounds like a great dog I think that you should make the most of every moment you have with him and take this opportunity to make some very fond memories.

I hate to say it but later down the road there will be plenty of time for those solo trips.

Edited by cornell

Have your cake and eat it too. If you can go to a place with refreshing beach views.

There are plenty of bed and breakfasts that take dogs. We also take our dogs to all sorts of restaurants.

He sounds like a great dog I think that you should make the most of every moment you have with him and take this opportunity to make some very fond memories.

I hate to say it but later down the road there will be plenty of time for those solo trips.

I agree.

Have a squizz in here for pet friendly accom.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/accommodation...ist.asp?state=2

What a great age for the old boy.

Is Gus used to you going away? If you have done it regularly over his life, he would possibly handle it better although having you ask the question suggests maybe he isn't used to it.

If he isn't used to long distance travel in a car, I think it would stress him more to go than to stay at home.

Your best bet in my view would be to leave him in his normal environment if you can, with someone there to keep him company. Keep him in his same routine.

Hi Monah, thanks for that advice. I thought I'd be locking myself in this quaint little cottage for a few days, but you're right, I might want to go sightseeing etc. and wouldn't be able to move around so freely if he was with me. Better rethink - or leave him with family. He'll bark & whine & manipulate them. Agent Provocateur!

:confused: Yes, that old viz magic :):laugh: xxxxxxxxxxx

He'll bark & whine & manipulate them. Agent Provocateur!

:confused: They don't need to be 16 to do that though do they :laugh:

For me it would depend on how Gus copes with being at home with someone else, and how he copes with travelling. 12.5 year old Flynn doesn't travel anymore due to a bad back that can not tolerate extended confinement and I'm away on weekends quite often over the peak trialing season. I am lucky that I have a great friend in Poodlefan who looks after him at her place where he is absolutely happy and relaxed and thoroughly spoiled. On most occasions he manages to fulfill his thieving needs by stealing some quantity of food not properly locked down :) Some dogs however do not cope as they get older with being away from their people and can tolerate travelling and change of environment quite well if they're with their owner. If that was the case, I would take my dog whenever possible....

He'll bark & whine & manipulate them. Agent Provocateur!

:confused: They don't need to be 16 to do that though do they :)

For me it would depend on how Gus copes with being at home with someone else, and how he copes with travelling. 12.5 year old Flynn doesn't travel anymore due to a bad back that can not tolerate extended confinement and I'm away on weekends quite often over the peak trialing season. I am lucky that I have a great friend in Poodlefan who looks after him at her place where he is absolutely happy and relaxed and thoroughly spoiled. On most occasions he manages to fulfill his thieving needs by stealing some quantity of food not properly locked down :p Some dogs however do not cope as they get older with being away from their people and can tolerate travelling and change of environment quite well if they're with their owner. If that was the case, I would take my dog whenever possible....

I think it depends a lot on the dog.

As my dogs age, FHRP is now returning the favour. :laugh: My oldest boy (now 13) stresses when he's out of his usual routine. For longer trips away its still worth taking him IMO but otherwise he's better off at home or with good friends he knows. He loves the beach so would come on any beach trip. My next oldest, Lily (12) stresses when she's not with me so she comes pretty much everywhere.

I recently offered to look after a friend's old silky, he's about 14. She goes away regularly and normally has a live in person.

She had previously tried putting him with friends and they wouldn't have him in the house and he barked and barked which I'm not surprised at, poor little guy.

I had him here for 3 days and it was a disaster, he's arthritic and blind and could not cope with my doggie door (he is used to one) and change of environment and ended up having lots of accidents but particularly during the night.

So last weekend when she went away, I said I would look after him in his own home. He's so much happier in his own environment and I spent half an hour with him on Sat evening (she left Sat afternoon) and then again on Sunday morning as she was coming back Sunday lunchtime.

Hi All, I haven't read all your comments yet - but thanks very much, the holiday will have to be put on hold for a while. Was up since 5am this morning. Gus couldn't lift himself up off the bed. I gave him a few gentle nudges but realised he wasn't joking and was starting to feel distressed. Got up, turned the lights on and helped him up. He was very wobbly. Got him off the bed as gently as I could and he was reeling with head tilt and trying to walk but going in circles. I helped him outside best I could and grabbed a towel to use as a sling under his chest. He did a wee and poo and then threw up 2ce - yellow bile. I rang emergency vets and they said don't bother bringing him in because it'll only distress him more as he would need to see our regular vet in the morning. So we waited. It was the longest morning of my life. I tried to ring a pet taxi service but they were useless - operating hours totally different from voicemail - no one but answering machine. So I took him myself, poor darling was so co-operative. He just knew we had to get there. I was worried I'd have to carry him and can no way lift him myself.

The vet wouldn't commit to anything but she said;

1. Possible stroke (but he has no crazy eyes)

2. Geriatric vestibular disease (all the signs there - that's what emergency vet said too)

3. Brain tumour (eyes still alert but could be hence the vertigo and vomiting) ditto emergency vet

4. Accelerated bone degeneration/arthritis (back leg becoming more stiff)

5. Tick (couldn't find anything)

She gave him 2 x shots anti- nausea and anti-inflammatory and I've been on holding vigil all day. He slept most of the day and just got up now 6.30pm to drink some water (thank god) and 4 little balls of chicken and rice with a bit of cream cheese to help it go down. (He had a little chicken and rice this morning too). He's wandering around a little more now so I keep dropping this letter to run after him with towel as a sling to help him not stumble.

I have been bracing myself for this time as he's had great innings and I love him with all my heart (he's been with me longer than any man I know and he has a part of my soul) but I will not let him suffer any more than he should. Broke down in tears (and now) when vet said they can come to the house to put him to sleep if need be - rather than me trying to get him up there. (That was really stressing me out).

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Please send your love and prayers and that I keep it together for a little longer. I'll let you know how we go. Lots of love Gus' mum.

Our old girl had vestibular twice, and her symptoms were the same as when poor Gus experienced. I hope thats all it is and he's feeling better soon. Our vets suggested a cortisone shot would help, though apparently its not known why it does

Thank you cornell. He's showing signs of his old self tonight. Got up on the little sofa by himself, then staggered to my room and got up on the bed (carefully) via the ottoman. I tried to persuade him not to, not hard enough I guess. I feel it may be one of those nights. I hope I'm wrong and get a proper night's sleep.

Our old girl had vestibular twice, and her symptoms were the same as when poor Gus experienced. I hope thats all it is and he's feeling better soon. Our vets suggested a cortisone shot would help, though apparently its not known why it does

Yes, I think that's what it must be.. and your girl got it twice?! Poor, poor thing! How did you nurse her back to feeling better, please let me know, anything will help.

Funny how the vet just didn't want to nail it on anything specific. Is it a liability thing? They scoped out a whole heap of could be's. Offered up MRI although not advisable given his age, plus what can you do if he does need surgery? His body couldn't cope with that either. So she said best to treat the symptoms and make him as comfortable as possible. My senses are on high alert for any sign of anything! It's stressful.

Yes, I think that's what it must be.. and your girl got it twice?! Poor, poor thing! How did you nurse her back to feeling better, please let me know, anything will help.

The vet explained to us that bascially it was just like feeling very very dizzy. The vomiting is due to the nausea, so is the lack of appetite.

We gave our girl a shot of cortisone both times, and she was given anti nausea meds like your Gus. She was off her food for a few days both times. While she was unstead on her feet, we set her up with soft beds and tried to keep her quiet/still. We gave her Lectade to keep her fluids up and some nutrigel to keep her going. Within a few days she was feeling better, though it really knocked her around the 2nd time (we think the staggering around hurt her already arthritic back) She was 15 years old when she experienced it.

There are a couple of threads here that might be useful to you

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=vestibular

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;hl=vestibular

post-7600-1289471817_thumb.jpgJust read all your comments. Thanxsomuch. They don't call us dog lovers online for nuthin'. Yes I have many fond memories of Gus on holidays. He was always by my side. Loved every minute of it. But unfortunately he's just way more fragile now hence this " will I - won't I" thread. Here's a shot of him sniffin' da' breeze looking down this valley of horses grazing and playing out at Anna Bay. Beautiful place.

Yep, Lecatade is like Hydralyte and Nutrigel is high calorie good stuff to keep them going and hopefully spark their appetite again

You can get both from Vet n Pet direct or your vet might stock them. I find them handy things to have on hand for when dogs aren't feeling well

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/LECTSACH?s...amp;category=61

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/NUTRIGEL