First Stage Labor

Missymoo

I have a maiden bitch who began first stage about 1am last night..she goes through periods of restlessness, digging, panting etc..on and off...then goes into relaxed mode and chills out in her whelping crate and sleeps...

Ive never had a bitch go this long in first stage, can anyone ease my nervousness...lol

she has taken a bit opf chicken from my hand, has no discharge, no straining, is calm and relaxed...its just very long! lol

im not worried, its just Ive never had one go this long on and off before!! :confused:

lol yeah thats what i though, ive just been lucky to have bitches that just got on with it :) before..:confused: Shes just had some more chicken and weve been for another trot arond the garden and wee and now shes back in her crate..the door is open (Ive used a large sized wire crate this time, do to anothe bitch getting at pups last litter)and she can mosey about my room which has towels all over the carpet, curtins are closed and a lamp is on and I just come and go and leave her be :laugh: is that the best thing to do?

Shes quite happy and relaxed no panting or digging atm..

Missymoo, I'm one for waiting too. BUT...sometimes a bitch will actually be further along than we think and have a pup malpresenting ect.

twice I've taken a bitch I"m whelpsitting in to the vet at this point and found both times they needed a ceasar straight away.

They weren't in distress, just seemed to be having a very prolonged first stage.

Might be worth a quick check by the vet if no progress is made.

fifi

mmm, ok fifi, now Im worried!

No, didn't want to worry you, just wanted to be the voice of caution if things don't progress :confused:

if you have any concerns, a quick trip and examination by a trusted vet will let you know things are going normally.

fifi

Edited by fifi

These last babies were born from a bitch who started on the Friday morning, the was restless, then settled and not doing much. By Saturday morning she was doing much the same. I did a quick utlrasound on Sat arvo and everyone was fine. She took until 1am Sunday before she got serious and the first was born at 3am. All 8 were on the ground by 5.50am.

I wouldn't panic but there's no harm in a vet check. I've called my vet up to the house twice before, just to be sure and within two hours of them leaving, the bitches decided to have them.

I've had a couple go 48 hours in stage one labour. The first one then proceeded to produce 6 puppies in 1 hr 40 min, so she was fast when she got going. These days I always check with daily ultrasounds during long stage one labours, just to make sure everything is OK. Well worth it for the peace of mind.

And as another anecdote, I had a maiden bitch start nesting, panting etc but not with real determination almost a week before she actually whelped.

No signs of distress, still eating, cervix closed, puppies not presenting and everything normal except that she was a drama queen and apparently wanted to drag things out a bit.