My Husband Wants Me To Re-home Ollie

HugUrPup

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vote also from me to get some serious allergy testing done on you and your son. Then you will know for sure if it is Ollie or something else, and can then make your decisions/plans.

aahh :D see you beat me to it :)

Edited by persephone

The vet said it didn't seem normal.. perhaps he isn't familiar with the pug shedding.

I'll get another opinion and see a dog naturopath. The groomers I have seen have said that his coat is much thicker than it should be also, which is probably a reason why he was sold from the breeder. I got him at a year old and he had won some comps but then they didn't want to breed form him anymore for some reason so I bought him.

I'd say his coat is the reason, because everything else is perfect. He has the best temperament and a cool curly tail, he's smart etc

He sounds like he has a thick double coat and I would bet he is exactly like the one I have here. Lizzy is a shocker, with 3 rotties in the house there is just as much fawn hair that gets swept up as there is black.

We all get hay fever in this house - I have been much worse since having Lizzy but thinking back when I was younger I have had hay fever most of my life. I remember when I was doing stock work in the spring I had to take the calamine lotion with me in the saddle bags and looked a real treat. Not only was I affected by my horse but the pollens from the grass that was stirred up so much while the sheep were running through it and the sheep too.

I agree with having blood work done though before rehoming just in case there is something else going on - but I am betting the problem is his thick double coat which is normal for him.

Keep him off the bedding, furniture and vacuum every day. Regular grooming is a must too.

I don't really have any advice, but you definitely COULD shave him if you wanted. As much as I wouldn't normally recommend it, as a last resort, it can be a lifesaver. I used to shave a Labrador for health reasons - number 10 all over and hey presto, no more shedding.

Gosh that would be a terrible situation. My partner was allergic to my old cat (just the one cat) but she had a shocking dental problem. He tried antihistamines but would start tearing up virtually the second he entered my house, and his nose would run like a tap, making it hard for him to breathe. It was really terrible, because I felt like I had to choose between my cat and my boyfriend. She was old though, so rehoming her wasn't even really an option - at least you've discovered this when your dog is relatively young.

Dog allergy is actually quite rare relatively speaking, cat and horse and other animal allergies are much more common, and often if you're allergic to dogs you're allergic to heaps of animals. I would definitely opt for the allergy tests, because you never know, if your son does some from allergies he could be allergic to other things as well, and this is the safest way to find out.

Please dont shave him, you could make things worse and frankly he will still shed, just tiny little hairs which i would think would be even worse for an allergy sufferer. I groom and suffer from hayfever and with certain dogs when I clip them the tiny hairs get up my nose and drive me insane!

I'll get allergy testing done for sure. I don't get a rash when I hugs him but I do cough up furballs :D

I doubt I'd be able to hand him over to anyone :) I'll be shaving him before doing that.

Here's a photo I just took after giving him a quick 5 minute brush...

post-32547-1289466538_thumb.jpg

Please dont shave him, you could make things worse and frankly he will still shed, just tiny little hairs which i would think would be even worse for an allergy sufferer. I groom and suffer from hayfever and with certain dogs when I clip them the tiny hairs get up my nose and drive me insane!

Noted :D

There is no way I would shave a pug.

When I had Gherk, I would get that much hair off her in one grooming session in spring/summer, When I bathed her, she fully clogged the drain three times with all the loose hair, and then I had to blow her coat out with my dog dryer, then I would curry comb her.

I agree with Readysetgo.. He sounds normal to me!

I'll get allergy testing done for sure. I don't get a rash when I hugs him but I do cough up furballs :D

I doubt I'd be able to hand him over to anyone :) I'll be shaving him before doing that.

Looks pretty normal to me :p

p10008851289466885.JPG

:D I'm so upset. Ollie has a shedding problem.. the worst I or the vet or groomers have ever seen.

My son is getting allergies and I have been getting asthma attacks. The house and yard is full of hair and no amount of ferminating, vacuuming, bathing or sardines are helping.

I wish there was something I could do to keep him :) He's my friend, my baby.

Please help.

It's not ideal but if it comes to rehoming him as your last option I would shave him off. I do it for plenty of Goldies, Labs etc and yes even two Pugs. I know it's a crime but the dogs get to stay with their families and both sides are happy. The shedding will be minimal, if any, I have also shaved off my own double coated dog before (ticks and other health reasons) and the difference was astounding.

Just give it some thought, as I said I know it's a sacrilege but if it means you can keep your gorgeous boy....

That looks normal to me... only I have a mix of black and fawn! My girls arnt very wooly thou, really a fair few pugs have incorrect coats which means a hell of alot more shedding. Some are like little wooly mammoths!

:D I'm so upset. Ollie has a shedding problem.. the worst I or the vet or groomers have ever seen.

My son is getting allergies and I have been getting asthma attacks. The house and yard is full of hair and no amount of ferminating, vacuuming, bathing or sardines are helping.

I wish there was something I could do to keep him :) He's my friend, my baby.

Please help.

It's not ideal but if it comes to rehoming him as your last option I would shave him off. I do it for plenty of Goldies, Labs etc and yes even two Pugs. I know it's a crime but the dogs get to stay with their families and both sides are happy. The shedding will be minimal, if any, I have also shaved off my own double coated dog before (ticks and other health reasons) and the difference was astounding.

Just give it some thought, as I said I know it's a sacrilege but if it means you can keep your gorgeous boy....

from one groomer to another, they still shed though and they still have and regrow exactly the same number of hairs. They just blow tiny short prickly one's, until it drops and they grow new coat back to full length.

ETA: it would be more of a case of mind of matter

Edited by ReadySetGo

Ex-groomer here and yes I found the puglets to drop an amazing about of hair! JRT also seemed to drop a crap load for a little dog.

I did test allergic to dogs (and a heap of other stuff). I get asthma, year round hayfever and skin stuff. Lucky I didn't breed :D It has never occurred to me not to have dogs though (or horses or cats). I was a bit grumpy about the Birmans as I was told they would shed less then a DSH and they shed heaps more.

Oh you poor thing!

I am not sure why you said you can't shave him?

You can certainly shave pugs and it will reduce the (noticeable) shedding so long as you keep him short.

I have also shaved a double coated breed regularly (aussie shep) for health reasons, with no problems, and reduced shedding.

However as others have said it is the dander that most people are allergic to, not the hair itself :D

Interestingly, black pugs do not appear to shed as much???

Have you seen a GP about your son's allergies?

I had a successful series of injections to reduce reaction to a range of allergens. That plus good management (hard floors, allergy-friendly bedding, no blankets/rugs, frequent vacuuming, thoughtful selection of garden plants etc) has made a big difference to my symptoms. We do have Billie inside as tests show I'm not allergic to dog dander. My parents just assumed I was so our family dogs were kept outside throughout childhood.

Oh you poor thing!

I am not sure why you said you can't shave him?

You can certainly shave pugs and it will reduce the (noticeable) shedding so long as you keep him short.

I have also shaved a double coated breed regularly (aussie shep) for health reasons, with no problems, and reduced shedding.

However as others have said it is the dander that most people are allergic to, not the hair itself :D

Interestingly, black pugs do not appear to shed as much???

They do shed alot, usually more un-noticeable (because alot of people where darker colours or have darker colour houses or floors ect)

COAT - Fine, smooth, soft, short and glossy, neither harsh nor woolly.

My pugs both have short fine coats so whilst they shed they dont do the shedding some pugs do. My mum recently rehomed a pup that didnt work out show wise and his coat wasnt wooly but it was alot thicker than I personally like.

Again I wouldnt shave a pug IF puggerups son is allergic to the hair he will still have a reaction to the short hairs as Ollie isnt going to magically stop shedding, the hairs will just be short little splinter hairs!

Edited by sammy_ballerina