How To Tell The Neigbour...

W Sibs

I had a terrible incident where the neighbours dog got into my yard and killed my ducks. They retrieved their dog, but left my babies there and didn't tell us :laugh:

This is when you report them to the council for having loose dogs and for menacing.

Disgusting.

Just wondering if people's opinions and suggestions would be different if it were a dog/puppy that was the victim?

Edited by SpikesPuppy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking about this, I think I will go over tonight and just tell them what happened. I have a good relationship with my neighbours especially the ones on either side of me (and they are one living next door to me). I might give them a bottle of wine too... just in case it is and they want to drown their sorrows. If it's not their rat, then we can celebrate that Charlie didn't kill their pet.

What a lovely neighbour you are.

I would also tell the truth, unless they were scary ferals, better to know & stop worrying. Not your fault.

I agree. In the long run, you'll feel a lot better in yourself, and you are a good person for doing this. If it was the reverse, I am sure you would want to know the whole truth. Good for you.

Just wondering if people's opinions and suggestions would be different if it were a dog/puppy that was the victim?

Mine would be. However if it happened in CW's yard, it would be difficult to see how she would legally responsible.

Edited by poodlefan

I'd just be honest with them. Animals are animals and there wasn't really anything you could have done to stop it from happening anyway.

My ex BIL had one of his pig dogs Max (WolfhoundxMastiff) in his back yard and while he was at work the neighbours 2 Bull Terriers dug under the fence and tore Max to shreds. When he got home he found Max, still alive, with his legs torn to pieces. He had to be PTS. Neighbours and dogs were gone, never to be seen again. :laugh:

Mine would be. However if it happened in CW's yard, it would be difficult to see how she would legally responsible.

Why is a canine's life more important than that of a domestic rodent (in terms of delivering the body to it's family and explaining what happened ?)

I'm not talking about legal responsibility, I'm talking about respect for a family and their pet!

The fact that these people mentioned their pet had escaped says to me they care deeply about him (the cost to replace isn't very much and it's not like they are difficult to come by!).

Why is a canine's life more important than that of a domestic rodent (in terms of delivering the body to it's family and explaining what happened ?)

I'm not talking about legal responsibility, I'm talking about respect for a family and their pet!

The fact that these people mentioned their pet had escaped says to me they care deeply about him (the cost to replace isn't very much and it's not like they are difficult to come by!).

I've had rats and they are like little puppies. Forever sweet and funny and cuddly. If this had been my rat, I would have been devastated and would want closure. The worst thing is always thinking 'what if?' and every time they go outside they would be looking for their baby, even subconsciously scanning the yard as they walk out the front door...

I think the idea of going and asking the colour first is a good one. If it's the same colour then it is a good chance it's their baby. Usually rats aren't out and about in the daytime so i doubt it's a wild one.