So Whats The Answer

Steve

i took my dog to obedience classes but i think they could be changed a bit for people who simply want a well behaved dog and not a dog who trials.

Many dog clubs are adapting their programs to cater for this. I know the Canberra ones have.

Why is Canberra so sensible compared to the rest of Australia :laugh:

You really want me to answer that? :cry:

Between you, me and the gate post I think education levels (ACT has highest in Australia) have a bit to do with it but I expect the issue is more far more complex than that.

I agree with that to an extent though I have met a few highly educated people who have some pretty old school view on dog ownership...

There was a person on the radio this morning talking about bad behaviour in kids and saying it was a socio-economic thing.

To an extent I believe that there would be link between dog dumpage and socio-economic conditions and status. I also believe the same for dog bites (as i have said before).

I don't think this is all encompassing, as I have said above, dumping dogs is not the preserve of the poor or uneducated, but I bet if you did stats you would find dumpage rates were higher in areas like Blacktown.

ETA: my sister tells me that in my home in the UK they pay people on one council estate to attend dog training classes with their dogs.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YEs, the rental thing is huge! WHy is it OK OS but not here, to rent with animals?

Because Australian landlords have the atttidue that dogs destroy properties. This attitude is somewhat brought about by australian renters who need an attitude adjustment or have a genuine lack of understanding of the damage that can be done to a property.

Again, social awareness and education campaigns would help for both tennants and landlords.

1, EDUCATION through all available media

2. GAOL SENTENCES and a $5000 fine for anyone caught dumping/abandoning animals.

Yes, I know a lot wont get caught and then wont get sentenced, but if you don't put fear into people's minds, you might not as well not write the laws in the first place.

Fear is a powerful deterrent.

Souff

Edited to add:

Sorry Steve, I just realised you said "no new laws". I am not sure what the old laws are and they differ from state to state anyway.

Anywho, strengthening existing laws is not making new laws is it? :laugh:

when i had an investment property i allowed pets and i never had any issues. the tenants were so happy to have a place for their pets they looked after it really well.

however that house was almost bomb proof so the type of house helps when renting to pet owners

I agree with the idea of promoting more pet friendly rentals - perhaps lobbying the Rental Associations etc?

Another problem often heard is "my yard is not big enough for my dog". With block sizes shrinking and dogs being required to be confined there are a few things that can be done I think:

a. Education on choosing suitable pets for smaller blocks.

b. Education that more active dogs can live in smaller yards provided they have suitable stimulation

c. Working to improve the ability of people to give that stimulation, for example:

* Increase of 'dog friendly' places in neighbourhoods - cafes, parks etc.

* Increase of activities in neighbourhoods for dogs - walking groups, community play groups or educational activities within walking distance for locals.

* Provision of dog walking services for busy people and/or dogs that need more stimulation or activity. Common in many cities overseas but yet to take off here.

I will also mention again the better record keepiing in regard to microchipping and the mandatory inclusion of breeder details, along with data collection on the original source of 'dumped' dogs. Having the data available to help target improvement of education at the point of sale to prevent some dogs ending up in an unsuitable situation to begin with may stop some dogs entering the 'dumpage pipeline'.

Edited by espinay2

when i had an investment property i allowed pets and i never had any issues. the tenants were so happy to have a place for their pets they looked after it really well.

however that house was almost bomb proof so the type of house helps when renting to pet owners

Agreed with that. Our house was originally an investment property and OH had said no pets on advice from his agent. When we moved in and got our puppy, Akira totally DESTROYED the backyard with digging and pulling up pipes, and since we've renovated the backyard our house is completely bomb proof for dogs. One day when we get something bigger we'll be able to rent it out again as a dog-friendly rental. I think for us, having a young dog has really helped us to understand what people go through to have a dog and how hard it can be to find accomodation with them.

I agree with the idea of promoting more pet friendly rentals - perhaps lobbying the Rental Associations etc?

Another problem often heard is "my yard is not big enough for my dog". With block sizes shrinking and dogs being required to be confined there are a few things that can be done I think:

a. Education on choosing suitable pets for smaller blocks.

b. Education that more active dogs can live in smaller yards provided they have suitable stimulation

c. Working to improve the ability of people to give that stimulation, for example:

* Increase of 'dog friendly' places in neighbourhoods - cafes, parks etc.

* Increase of activities in neighbourhoods for dogs - walking groups, community play groups or educational activities within walking distance for locals.

* Provision of dog walking services for busy people and/or dogs that need more stimulation or activity. Common in many cities overseas but yet to take off here.

I will also mention again the better record keepiing in regard to microchipping and the mandatory inclusion of breeder details, along with data collection on the original source of 'dumped' dogs. Having the data available to help target improvement of education at the point of sale to prevent some dogs ending up in an unsuitable situation to begin with may stop some dogs entering the 'dumpage pipeline'.

the other thing i think we need is for councils to provide more green spaces where dogs can be walked on and off leash. this is also good for people :laugh:

eta where people can walk to them with their dogs not drive to them

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Espinay, good ideas.

We go round in circles, laws re dogs get tougher, you cant take them anywhere, dogs become more isolated, more prone to problems, then get dumped and the cycle starts again.

My day runs around what and where I can take my dogs at what times. I realise that some of this is to filter out those who do the 'wrong thing', but there are also many of us who do the right thing. I guess that's another thread...

Espinay, good ideas.

We go round in circles, laws re dogs get tougher, you cant take them anywhere, dogs become more isolated, more prone to problems, then get dumped and the cycle starts again.

My day runs around what and where I can take my dogs at what times. I realise that some of this is to filter out those who do the 'wrong thing', but there are also many of us who do the right thing. I guess that's another thread...

Yes its coming up.

2. GAOL SENTENCES and a $5000 fine for anyone caught dumping/abandoning animals.

Yes, I know a lot wont get caught and then wont get sentenced, but if you don't put fear into people's minds, you might not as well not write the laws in the first place.

Souff

No new laws.

Souff

No new laws.

Are we allowing better enforcement of existing laws eg microchipping. Hard not to be accountable when your name and current address is on the chip.

Souff

No new laws.

Ok, no new laws.

Dust off the existing laws, advertise them, and police them.

Souff

Souff

No new laws.

Are we allowing better enforcement of existing laws eg microchipping. Hard not to be accountable when your name and current address is on the chip.

that's what i was thinking about the situation Monah described but the people who dump in the bush wouldn't have their pets microchipped anyway so it wouldn't help stop that

the only people who would microchip would be the responsible breeders unless the public were educated to the implications of having a dog that wasn't microchipped and this was policed properly.

IMO we wont stop the waste of animals lives until we slow down the rate that they are being born.

Wyong pound has implemented an important desexing program for owners picking up their strays. Instead of the owner paying just full registration ($150) plus impounding fees they are offered the option of a desexing and registration package with is actually less than the cost of just releasing the animals.

This program alone has the ability to substantially change the amount of unplanned/byb litters in this shire.

Edited by gillbear

Here we go, courtesy of the RSPCA Qld:

ABANDONED ANIMALS

RSPCA Qld has received several dozen complaints about animals being abandoned in the Bundaberg region during the Christmas holiday period.

“While it appears to be an escalating problem, in many of these cases the animals have actually had someone assigned to look after them.” says RSPCA Qld’s Bundaberg Inspector Patrick Yeates. “The problem is that the animals’ owners have neglected to notify neighbours who then report the matter to us. I would urge anyone who leaves their pets in the care of family or friends to register with our Home Alone service.”

The Home Alone service was set up to alleviate the burden on already overworked Inspectors who were continually being called to investigate possible cases of neglect and cruelty during holiday periods.

“Many people leave pets at home and rely on the goodwill of neighbours and friends to keep them fed, watered and exercised,” said Inspector Yeates. “The problem is that often these friends forget or the animal escapes and we have no one to contact in case of emergences. With Home Alone people can register their pet on our website and leave the name and contact details of the people taking care of the animal. That way we know whom to contact in case of emergencies.”

RSPCA Qld investigates over 12,000 complaints of animal cruelty annually and reports of abandoned animals make up a large quantity of these complaints. During holiday seasons these types of calls escalate with families leaving pets behind in the care of friends and neighbours.

“The good intentions of neighbours looking out for the welfare of your pet can often lead to unneeded investigation,” continued Inspector Yeates. “Simply by completing your details on Home Alone when your family is going on holidays you can be reassured that RSPCA Inspectors will contact you or your animals’ nominated caregiver if a complaint is lodged or the animal ends up at an RSPCA shelter.”

However, the sad fact remains that some animals have been abandoned.

“Your pet is your responsibility. A pet is for life, not just your convenience. Animal abandonment is an offence and potentially carries a penalty of one year’s imprisonment or a $30,000 fine.”

I don't think potential dumpers would go looking in the RSPCA website for this message, but I might be wrong.

Perhaps it should be put on the television screens like the RSPCA did with the tail docking.

The tail docking campaign cost them a lot of money and didnt save one dogs life.

A campaign like this on the telly could save many dogs lives.

Souff

Souff

No new laws.

Yep definitely.

A doler and I were only saying this about ACT on the weekend.

Training programs are a great idea.

Unfortunately here in the Wide Bay area where we are fairly uneducated and outnumbered by ferals, even getting a person to training would be a miracle :laugh:

How do we change the 'throw away' society, self absorbed society, want it NOW society, not my problem etc???

We (as in the dog loving public), as a resource, are too small. It needs to be a society push which usually emanates from authorities or the gov.

What is social marketing?

Social marketing differs from other branches of marketing in that it relates to the wellbeing of the community (rather than the wellbeing of the marketer) (Donovan, 2005). The fundamental goal of social marketing campaigns is to bring about behavioural change (Andreasen, 2003). This can range from encouraging people to change a specific behaviour on their own (self-regulation) to seeking professional help about a difficult problem. Social marketing draws from a broad range of social sciences for the purpose of influencing people in socially desirable ways and generating social good (Donovan & Henley, 2003; Stead, Gordon, Angus, & McDermott, 2007).

the other thing i think we need is for councils to provide more green spaces where dogs can be walked on and off leash. this is also good for people :laugh:

eta where people can walk to them with their dogs not drive to them

That would be lovely, but I doubt it would affect dumpage rate.

There are plenty of cities around the world with a low dumpage rate where there is very little open space.

I think it encourages the myth that all dogs need open space to be happy. They don't all need it, many dogs can be exercised on lead, they can be mentally stimulated and trained in a small area. Besides that, many people are happy to drive their dog to a park the same as they are happy to drive to the shop to get a bottle of milk. It isn't a big disincentive.

I would rather the council put more money into educating people on right choice of dog for various lifestyles than purchase more space as a strategy against dumping.

Here we go, courtesy of the RSPCA Qld:

ABANDONED ANIMALS

RSPCA Qld has received several dozen complaints about animals being abandoned in the Bundaberg region during the Christmas holiday period.

“While it appears to be an escalating problem, in many of these cases the animals have actually had someone assigned to look after them.” says RSPCA Qld’s Bundaberg Inspector Patrick Yeates. “The problem is that the animals’ owners have neglected to notify neighbours who then report the matter to us. I would urge anyone who leaves their pets in the care of family or friends to register with our Home Alone service.”

The Home Alone service was set up to alleviate the burden on already overworked Inspectors who were continually being called to investigate possible cases of neglect and cruelty during holiday periods.

“Many people leave pets at home and rely on the goodwill of neighbours and friends to keep them fed, watered and exercised,” said Inspector Yeates. “The problem is that often these friends forget or the animal escapes and we have no one to contact in case of emergences. With Home Alone people can register their pet on our website and leave the name and contact details of the people taking care of the animal. That way we know whom to contact in case of emergencies.”

RSPCA Qld investigates over 12,000 complaints of animal cruelty annually and reports of abandoned animals make up a large quantity of these complaints. During holiday seasons these types of calls escalate with families leaving pets behind in the care of friends and neighbours.

“The good intentions of neighbours looking out for the welfare of your pet can often lead to unneeded investigation,” continued Inspector Yeates. “Simply by completing your details on Home Alone when your family is going on holidays you can be reassured that RSPCA Inspectors will contact you or your animals’ nominated caregiver if a complaint is lodged or the animal ends up at an RSPCA shelter.”

However, the sad fact remains that some animals have been abandoned.

“Your pet is your responsibility. A pet is for life, not just your convenience. Animal abandonment is an offence and potentially carries a penalty of one year’s imprisonment or a $30,000 fine.”

I don't think potential dumpers would go looking in the RSPCA website for this message, but I might be wrong.

Perhaps it should be put on the television screens like the RSPCA did with the tail docking.

The tail docking campaign cost them a lot of money and didnt save one dogs life.

A campaign like this on the telly could save many dogs lives.

Souff

Just to add that yes, I know much of the above text was not about dumping of animals, but it is still abandonment of animals.

Notice the $30,000 fine?

These sorts of things ARE in the existing laws.

How many members of the general public would know what the fine was?

Very few.

These sorts of penalties definitely need to be out there on television screens, particularly at this time of the year.

If it frightens just one person out of dumping a dog, then it will have done a good job.

Souff