Wots Fair & Wots Not ?

Kimissa

I’d love to hear other breeders opinions here…. Hypothetically speaking of course :laugh:

If a breeder sold a puppy at a very reasonable price to another responsible breeder (who at the time had no dogs at all) over 2 years ago, and which TITLED very easily.

Now they have decided there are some things they don’t like about the dog.

What in your opinion would be a fair out-come for both parties? The idea of replacing the dog with another puppy doesn’t appeal to the breeder, as this could go on and on for years ;-) :crossfingers:

M

Who has decided they don't like the dog? The owner?? Just buy the dog back off them.

The owner has decided they don't like the dog anymore.... so...... should they get full refund??????

Edited by Kimissa

No, if the dog has titled easily, met the standard for the breed, and has no health issues which could affect the use of this animal in a breeding program, the breeder is not to be held responsible for replacement. Now if the current owner dislikes the dog for other reasons than listed already, the breeder should have the right to purchase back the dog at the price they agree upon(qhich can be a big problem in some cases) if in fact this arrangement was listed in the purchase contract.

If this isn't the case, and the owner dislike the dog that much, they should be able to rehome the dog at whatever cost they can get and move on.

Edited by angelsun

Why doesn't the owner like the dog now? Is this it's physical attributes or emotional value? Taken them a good while to decide they don't like the poor animal :laugh: Seeing it's just a hypothetical question I'd tell 'em to '*******' but if it's for real then guess I'd be more polite :eek:

They should suck it up! No dog is perfect, if they dont wish to use the dog in their breeding program then they should offer it back to the breeder at an agreed price or pet home it. The dog titled easily, so must be 'show quality'. If the breeder wants the dog back then a pup returned instead of buying the dog back would be reasonable.

If the dog didn't do ANY winning in a reasonable timeframe under knowledgeable, respected judges during a concerted show career THEN it could be considered to not be "show quality" and could be returned, as per whatever agreement was made for refund or replacement.

As this dog has been shown and was titled easily, presumably with good breed competition then there is no doubt that it is show quality and therefore, the only argument the owner could have is that they don't like it.

In that case....TOUGH!! Offer it back to the breeder at a reasonable price for the breed and get something from another breeder because I daresay the original breeder won't be too sympathetic. If the owner doesn't want to do that, then they sell it either to a pet home (desexed) or they sell it to another exhibitor who might be perfectly happy to have the dog either in the show ring or as a breeding prospect.

The breeder has no OBLIGATION whatsoever in this case IMO. Except the right to be MIGHTILY pissed at the purchaser.

Legally, unless its in joint partnership the dog is the property of the person who bought it. If the owner has decided that they no longer want their property, its up to them to deal with it. They have no legal come back on the person they purchased the property from, any more than they would if they had bought a car, driven it around for 2 years and then decided they didn't like it anymore.

Now, if they want to replace the dog its up to them (I wouldn't do it personally, but I'm a softie :D ) - I would hope they would do this ethically with the interests of the dog in mind. However, iof you again replace 'dog' with car, you don't go back to the person you bought the first car from and demand a second replacement.

Sorry, but in the words of a famous Aussie movie, tell em they're dreamin! :D

Who has decided they don't like the dog? The owner?? Just buy the dog back off them.

The owner has decided they don't like the dog anymore.... so...... should they get full refund??????

Depends on how much they trust the other person to do right by that dog- will they just sell it off entire, desex and rehome, have a litter of pets to get their money back........ If the breeder is worried about the future of the dog, get it back at cost (as they sold it at a reasonable price) and then decide if it is good enough for them to keep and use or to pet home.

Hypotheticaly, what is it they don't like about the dog? looks, temperament, health results????

Of course not. If you buy a nice Honda, drive it for a couple of months around Australia and then decide there are a few things you don't like about it, try telling that to Honda.

If the breeder wants the dog back, make an offer, if the breeder doesn't want to buy the dog back, the buyer must keep it. What does the buyer think, they have bought the dog from Joe's second hand swap meet?

If I was the breeder, I'd offer them their $$ back, take the poor bloody dog and rehome it to someone decent, and they certainly wouldn't be swapping for another dog, or buying another one from me. Ever

Of course not. If you buy a nice Honda, drive it for a couple of months around Australia and then decide there are a few things you don't like about it, try telling that to Honda.

If the breeder wants the dog back, make an offer, if the breeder doesn't want to buy the dog back, the buyer must keep it. What does the buyer think, they have bought the dog from Joe's second hand swap meet?

If I was the breeder, I'd offer them their $$ back, take the poor bloody dog and rehome it to someone decent, and they certainly wouldn't be swapping for another dog, or buying another one from me. Ever

Totally agree, :eek: all good sensible responses from all dolers :o

Where does any dog come with a guarantee that it will grow up and mature to be what you like in a dog???

Yep, tell 'em they're dreamin'! (hypothetically of course ;) )

Now thats a fact! Wouldn't we all like to cut/copy/paste to create the perfect dog :thumbsup: