1. 1. If its over 37 degrees, do you?

• Dogs outside, plenty of shade and water
    • leave inside with aircon
    • other - comment below

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billie will spend her summer days outside. She has access to the backyard with wading pool, deck and the undeveloped side under our house. Have a feeling she'll spend a bit of time under there on the cool dirt.

We left her inside with aircon as a wee pup last summer. Won't do that this year now she is grown...well, maybe on extreme days.

If the heat is uncomfortable for us, then I figure it's uncomfortable for Lola. So generally anything above 30ish degrees and she's inside with the a/c on. Our new place is so much warmer in winter and (so far) cooler in the warmer months, which is great - we probably won't have to use the a/c as much now.

Tango hates the heat and is more at home in temps of -2C to +10C......he has plenty of shade and an undercover area outside my bedroom, plenty of water and usually a breeze - fortunately doesn't often get to 37C at home...however, in fire season, if there's the hint of a possible problem or fireban day, he comes to work with me and spends his day in a crate in despatch in front of an evaporative cooler <g>

A few years ago we had a day that was well in the 40's, doglets were misted with water on ther bellies and feet and layed in front of the fan. (no AC at that time). We had a kids pool for them but they refused to go in even though it was so hot!

Our rabbit was the same, moved to the shade and sprayed with cool water every hour.

inside aircon.

luckily we dont get such hot weather here. In Darwin however... :( many dogs were outside theree though and slept the heat away. I'm sure if dogs have shade, plenty of water, somewhere cool to go, they would be OK, unless they are a brachy breed or have lots of coat..

we only need the aircon for about 2 weeks of the whole year, my spin feels the heat so she needs the aircon... viz feels the cold and in summer if we have the aircon on, she needs a blankie :rofl::laugh:

When we lived up in teh NT the dogs spent most of their time outdoors. They had lots of shade, and always had water. They were fit, not overweight and climatised to the heat so that helped. They were in with us when we were home but they didn't ever have issues. Sometimes we'd put ice block in their water and stuff.

My dogs have a tough life :( no beer fridges or air conditioning during the day for them :laugh: Last summer they were outside but there is a garage for them to go into and a patio with shelter.

I trust them alot more in the house now and with the cats so with the rainy weather I have been leaving the side door open so they can come in or out. This summer I will do the same.

Our dog is kept inside all the time- mainly because when he was a puppy we figured out that he liked trying to eat the pebbles that's part of the landscaping in our backyard. We didn't want to risk it so he is kept downstairs in our house.

When we are home he has the whole house to himself and does whatever he wants.

When it's really hot and we are at work, we actually put the aircon on timer- so that it comes on after a certain time for him incase it gets too hot during the day. :laugh:

I am concerned about Grumpy for this summer. I can't have he and Mini in the house together and she gets barky if left alone. The yard gets a fair amount of shade but still, he's an old man now. His hair will be cut very short soon.

Is it possible to crate one of them so they can both be inside? Just a thought :laugh:

I am concerned about Grumpy for this summer. I can't have he and Mini in the house together and she gets barky if left alone. The yard gets a fair amount of shade but still, he's an old man now. His hair will be cut very short soon.

Is it possible to crate one of them so they can both be inside? Just a thought :laugh:

Yes, I could, but I can't do that for all of summer, I think.

My big dogs (Kelpie & 2 Salukis) are outside, with shade, BIG tubs of water and ice blocks (big) in the water. They just lay around. never had an issue. The little (old) dogs are inside rain, hail, sleet, heat!! Aircon stays on at our stone miner's cottage from the moment it hits 25 deg at the start of a heatwave, otherwise it would heat up and never cool down again!!

Last year, we had 46 deg plus and had all the dogs inside with us during the middle of the day. Fortunately it was holiday time, but if that happens during work time, I come home at lunc to check on them, if my OH isn't home. He's usually home by about 1pm on those kind of days anayway, and then they're all inside with him!!

Sonia

I have air cond but not on a timer. I can't leave the air cond on all day, so our two are inside without air cond. Our house is insulated, metal roof. We also have tiles everywhere. We leave plenty of bowls of water and when we get home, the air cond goes on, however they then run around in the heat outside like loonies :rofl: and then come in later on for a lie down under the air cond vents. We also didn't walk them this week when it was 39ºc as it was way too hot for them.

We don't have an air conditioner, so the boys are outside with their shade, eskys of water, kennels and shell pool (once I replace the one they just ate :laugh:

I also get Maverick clipped back a bit so that he is not so hot with his thick coat.

As soon as I come home they are let inside.

Edited by MavericksMission

I do not have aircon either here we have ceiling and pedestal fans in all the rooms. My shepherd sleeps on the tiles in the hot days and the little ones where ever. I do not have to go to work so if the mecury is going to be over 30 degrees they are inside with me. If it is too hot outside for the me it is too hot for the dogs.

Has anyone tried those "cooling beds" for their dogs? If so, do they work?

I don't see how they would stay cool for too long in the hot weather. The ones I have looked at online are pretty expensive for what looks like just a flat, thin layer.

What do you guys think - a waste of money, or worth looking into?