Ankc 2009 Breeders And Litters

SwaY

2009 Breeders and Litters

In 2009 it was estimated that the dog population in Australia was 3.41 million (TNS & BIS Shrapnel).

It is estimated that 10% need to be replaced annually which indicates a demand for 341,000 puppies per year.

In 2009 ANKC Breeders registered 66,588 puppies, so to provide the estimated number required approx.

274,412 were bred by people outside our organisation who have no accountability for health or welfare.

2838492009_Breeder_Statistics.jpg

2838492009_Breeder_Statistics5.jpg

So why are we, the registered breeders copping the flack and the fall out for every animal produced in this country. If they are sick, it's our fault, bad temperament, our fault, die young, yep our fault, end up in a pound or shelter, of course the registered breeders are responsible for that too.

Hell, we are even going to pay for the puppy farmers sins...

It is a very sad state of affairs. And it just keeps looking worse each year over what? the past 15 years?

To me it proves that you can not keep doing the same old thing and expect new or different outcomes.

It is time to bring the ANKC up so it can join the best kennel clubs in the world. Outstanding breeding programs and a respected well earned leadership position in all purebred dog welfare issues.

So why are we, the registered breeders copping the flack and the fall out for every animal produced in this country. If they are sick, it's our fault, bad temperament, our fault, die young, yep our fault, end up in a pound or shelter, of course the registered breeders are responsible for that too.

Hell, we are even going to pay for the puppy farmers sins...

Why?

Because registered breeders are the only visible target.

And whilever every other Australian dog owner can legally breed from their dogs while not holding a licence to breed dogs, the situation cannot possibly improve.

They are ALL under the radar ..... thousands and thousands of them .... and the majority of them do not give a sh*t about the quality of the pups that they sell.

Yet every time I have brought up the subject of licensing ALL breeders, DOLers jump up and down and say it is not the answer. "Wont work", blah blah blah.

I have yet to hear any viable alternative.

Well, it wont work if it is not tried, that is for sure.

So all those thousands of shonky people can just go on doing what they are doing and the ANKC piece of the pie will continue to shrink away.

Thanks for putting boring old stats into the pie graphs Sway. Somebody in government might one day put it all up as a BRAND NEW IDEA .... gee whiz! Shiny & new!

Frankly I am past caring who does or doesn't.

Souff

Thanks for putting boring old stats into the pie graphs Sway. Somebody in government might one day put it all up as a BRAND NEW IDEA .... gee whiz! Shiny & new!

Graphs are were all done by the ANKC, and posted on there site. :)

Maybe the unreg breeders were just like us a few years ago...why would we not cross the line where there is no back flack or critisism for what we breed by a judge, or fellow breeder, I still wouldnt make anymore money but I would be happier....

hmmmmm.

Graphs are were all done by the ANKC, and posted on there site. :)

Well I'll be .... so it is!

Would have to be a first, wouldn't it?

The writing on the wall ?

what about the bright spark that thinks the faster the government takes over dog breeding the better???

more like there will be no registered dogs bred if that happens. as it is ,you are being told, no litters before the decided age, no litters after the 6th? i think? and that brilliant idea even includes bitches that only have one pup per litter.

but one that has ten a litter or more can have 60 to 80, even 100 pups, like is the world gone totaly troppo? for those who dont know it toy breeds can even turn up with a litter at 9 years of age. i know one of my retired girls must have got bored with being idle the previous 2 years and took matteres into her own paws, at least i was lucky and her chosen sneak resulted in 6 stunnin purebreds and three of em were her best yet.. no hope of em ever getting regos today.

gee that was 20 years ago before something like that happening today for anyone would now be labeled a puppy farmer automaticly now and driven from the membership.

well considering the numbers bred yearly are going down by the thousands,

puppy buyers wont have much choice of where they will have to go unless they are prepared for a few years on a waiting list eh?

yep, its regulate regulate and what did i say? ha yes, regulate the crap out of those dreadful tracables and the dog worlds problems will all be solved.

yea and pigs can fly like pidgeons too. :)

Edited by asal

Maybe the unreg breeders were just like us a few years ago...why would we not cross the line where there is no back flack or critisism for what we breed by a judge, or fellow breeder, I still wouldnt make anymore money but I would be happier....

hmmmmm.

If you could drive a car on the road without having to pay rego and insurances and pay for a drivers licence .... would you leave the car at home until you had paid for all of them?

wonder if anyone might twig before its too late and there are no registered breeders, that it is the throw away mentality of some puppy buyers THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

gee i said a bad thing didnt i.

the dog worlds problems arent the fault of anyone but the mongrel who breed the dog surely?

kids need to be taugh from kindi, pet responsibilty, if the parents cant do it the govt should be making sure the schools are doing it. grief the politicians actually can read and write, they proved it they wrote the joke that put judy guard in the nighmare as a result of that marvelous bit of law reform.

now how about doing something posative instead of negative?????

teach the kids.

its and oldie but still a goodie, give me a child until its 7 and its trained for life" or something like that, the priests and nuns and the ministers too used to say that when i was a kid, they couldnt get us into scripture class fast enough.

soo why not educate them about pet care and responsibilty? even a bit of dog training, ie sit heel n stay? some people havent even a clue about one basic let alone any?

they just arent getting it from their parents and grand parents like once upon a time

what about the bright spark that thinks the faster the government takes over dog breeding the better???

Well, government has just about everything else regulated ASAL and I am not certain that they would make any worse of a hash of it than what the present situation is.

I have never seen so many crossbred mutts and poorly bred purebred dogs as we now have - and they are being pumped out all the time and just for the $.

But you don't need to worry, there is no money in it for governments so they too will stay well away from it.

Poor dogs :)

Well, government has just about everything else regulated ASAL and I am not certain that they would make any worse of a hash of it than what the present situation is.

I have never seen so many crossbred mutts and poorly bred purebred dogs as we now have - and they are being pumped out all the time and just for the $.

But you don't need to worry, there is no money in it for governments so they too will stay well away from it.

Poor dogs :)

are u really seriouly thinking any legislation to control dog breeding is going to apply to anyone but registered breeders??????

in your dreams.

do u think a big red light is going to turn on above every home that hasnt had their pet desexed and gets in pup?????????

are u really seriouly thinking any legislation to control dog breeding is going to apply to anyone but registered breeders??????

in your dreams.

do u think a big red light is going to turn on above every home that hasnt had their pet desexed and gets in pup?????????

One law to apply to everyone who breeds dogs?

Yeah, you're right, in your dreams.

Buggar the dogs, they dont need a future anyway. PETA will fix it.

in your dreams.

One law to apply to everyone who breeds dogs?

Yeah, you're right, in your dreams.

Buggar the dogs, they dont need a future anyway. PETA will fix it.

i do think you are right.

we who have been the lucky one to have been able to grow up with our dogs, can only feel sorry for those of the future. maybe bring in a ballot system, lodge an application and go on a waiting list for a pup?

although Peta wont be letting even that happen.

Edited by asal

If we do not want the government to regulate us, then we better start ( and not a second to waist) doing it ourselves.

Really, why is it that so very few breeds have any mandatory health tests. I have been doing hips for 20 years, eye exams for 20 years, then it changed to DNA tests, then add 2 more DNA test and a couple of other minor tests I do randomly just to keep an eye out. Would it kill us to make a few rules about this stuff and then enforce it. I am not super breeder, all the breeders I know do the same and if others out there are not they should be. So lets just get it done.

Why don't we have a policy about puppy farming. Why haven't we at least looked at the benefits of opening some stud books to outside purebred dogs, Kelpies being a perfect example. Can't we address any of the issues that have been raised against us?

I am done trying to defend what is no longer defendable. We need to get our sh*t together and we need to do it now and stop making excuses. We should look to northern Europe and get to work. Their programs are good, they are not restrictive (at least they would not change anything I am doing).

Just wanted to add, we need to stop worrying about what other dog breeders are doing. We have no control over them. What we need to be worried about is what our breeders do, and we need to hold ourselves to the highest standards in the world. Only then can we stare them down and win this.

Edited by shortstep

how is it going to be policed if the govt take over? Unless they have someone at everyones home making sure the dog/s arent bred it without a license, it wont work. Legislation will only keep honest people honest. Even if every puppy sold had to be papered it still wouldnt work, papers can be falseafied if someone wants to make money bad enough.

hmmmmm.

If you could drive a car on the road without having to pay rego and insurances and pay for a drivers licence .... would you leave the car at home until you had paid for all of them?

Why would I....the authorities are after the guys doin the right thing.

It would be interesting if someone would go through the cc magazines to see how many registered pups are actually shipped overseas to the pet shop broker for Asia.

Although the registered pup numbers are remaining reasonably static, that is because numbers of registered breeders breeding show and pets for Australia are reducing are the numbers of pups produced for the asian pet market are increasing.

The distribution of those pups will increase as more registered stop breeding.

Soon only puppy farms will remain.