Rescue Meeting

Monah

There is a fairly new (about 18 months) 'rescue' thing (can't call it an organistaion yet) here in my area. Started off with one woman who I have not met, but sounds nice on the phone and passionate, but, she has not much idea of procedures, protocols, how to organise, rehoming, doggy knowledge , rules and regulations etc etc.

A friend of mine began fostering for her about 3 months ago, and through this I've sort of become involved in a very 'silent' way. Tomorrow there is a meeting at my friend's house to attempt to put this org. on the right footing, have a comittee, regulate how things are done etc.

The council has donated 2 computers and an office ( :birthday: ) and wants this to work.

So, I said I'd go to the meeting but do more listening and maybe offer the odd suggestion (horror of horrors, sometimes dogs go UNDESEXED and they TRUST the owner to do it later :birthday: ).

I had a call this morning and now find out instead of about 6 people having coffee, several councillors and others are attending (my GF is out scrounging extra chairs ATM!!) and there will now be around 30 people as they want to turn this into a legit and expert type service with protocols (and it's been a thorough mess up to now so this is a good thing)

So, my thoughts have changed as if the councillors are open to ideas, I really need to KNOW the very best, workable ideas that other orgs have used and how these operate. I'd like to go in with the correct and viable information so that something goes ahead, not a lot of ifs and maybes and not knowing what I'm talking about (which is where I am now)

Can anyone please put up some agendas for me that I can use? Best practice type ideas, etc.?

I will adore you forever... :cheers::champagne: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why not ask experienced and successfully run rescues in your general region to provide some mentoring? Not that you'd want to duplicate exactly, as there'd need to be wiggle room for circumstances & stage. Especially look to rescue groups that have good working & PR relationships with local council and community (including businesses).

Two I'd suggest are Sippy Creek animal rescue, in the Caloundra area. And 4 Paws Animal Rescue in the Nambour region. Visit their websites to sample how well they're set up & established. And to get contact details. I've had reason to speak to 2 people in the key role at both rescues....& they had all the rescue values in spades. Sippy Creek actually has a shelter, while 4 Paws works on the foster-care model. Both have excellent links with their community.

A smaller, but with good rescue values, is the group who do the Fraser Coast dog rescue. Any enquiry dealings I've had with them, have impressed me, too. I'd have to recheck their correct name for you. Found it....called Fraser Coast Dog Rescue. But I don't know how this group is structured.

Edited by mita

4Paws Animal Rescue

http://www.4pawsanimalrescue.org.au/index.html

Sippy Creek Animal Rescue

http://www.sippycreek.com.au/

Fraser Coast Dog Rescue

http://www.frasercoastdogrescue.com.au/index.html

(DOLers, please note that 4Paws is presently urgently asking for foster-carers for some small dogs, with likely short-term stay. If you're anywhere near the Sunshine Coast & hinterland area, this is a good group to volunteer with.)

Edited by mita

I'm guessing you've already trawled through the rescue section so I'm just here to wish you best of luck :laugh:

LOL, no Monah doesn't go in the rescue thread...she might with her eyes closed :rolleyes:

You go tomorrow Deb and say your bit...this group sounds like their hearts in the right place but are they doing the right thing??

Most important is are they desexing before these dogs are available for adoption...no good saying but the adopters have said they will desex...people cant be trusted!!!!!!!and so the cycle continues with more unwanted dogs in pounds!!!!!

But you know all this already...........good luck for tomorrow and keep me posted. Will get you in rescue thread yet,lol

Hard to answer with such limited info. What is on the Agenda will depend on where the group is up to now.

Ill just start talking like as if they have NOTHING in place and you can pick up where ever they are up to.

Is it incorporated ? Does it have office bearers etc. If you go to the pacers website there is a whole heap on incorporation to get you started if not

http://www.mdbapacers.org.au/attachments/0...corporation.pdf

If they are not incorporated it is important that this is done asap because without that the group doesnt have a business entity and its messier to operate and if anyone mucks it up you are liable as individuals rather than the org. So before you move past go you need to set up and be sure the best business foundation is in place because without this the chances that it will go rotten is really high.

Policies are the structural base and save lots and lots of stress and future disasters.

While you need to keep the wording simple you also need to try to think of absolutely everything possible and write it into policy.

the obvious ones are desexing ,vet care etc but less obvious ones usually knock you over just as easily.what will you do if a breeder turns up and demands one of their dogs back entire ? To give you an idea if you email me I will shoot you off a copy of our foster carers course which is no where near the rescue course but if you take a look at what we ask the foster carers to look at before they choose a rescue group it will help you to see what I mean. General advice is to create policies you can grow into - Where will the dogs come from - what protocols for accepting them,what happens after they come into your care, what will you expect from foster carers etc. paper work for surrender, accepting dogs, assessments rehoming and basic record keeping, confidentiality agreements safe work place issues,health and safety issues Knowing the laws and everything which will affect you in this way and ensuring that no one diviates no matter what from what is legal etc

Then of course there is marketing, sponsorship, fundraising - who is responsible for what - office bearers and the role they need to play, insurances, what are people expected to do free of charge ? What will you spend your money on and how will you make your money?

Ill go back to the first one again - you really really need to work first and foremost on the business side of things. Often when I tell people they need a business plan before they go anywhere they worry its too hard or a bit corny but if you work through it one by one its not so bad and it can mean the difference between success and failure.

I also have a toolkit which we put together for people who decided they wanted to start a pacers group - one online but another which is much more intense if you would like to have a look at it.

Julie

totally agree with steve.

the vision is what you want to be

the strategy is where you want to go

the business plan is how you are going to get there

if you have all three it makes it easy to get people on the same page as the organisation rather than them running with their own agenda's

eta they don't need to be big complex documents

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

:rolleyes: Thanks so much for being so helpful! :D

Steve, they have NO business plan or even any CLUE :laugh: We've been in business for over 25 years and started several large clubs and I'm really :D and frustrated at how unorganised it all is, it would honestly make your hair curl, or even fall out..

thankyou again , I will be up late tonight doing up an agenda with all the relevent information. ATM no one even weems to know when and where and if a dog is about to be rehomed etc.

all just doing their own thing. I have a feeling the council is aware of this (as you would be after communicating for even 5 mins with the group) and this is why they have decided to come to the meeting. I'm just glad they are showing an interest :)

xxxx :laugh:

Steve, they have NO business plan or even any CLUE :laugh: We've been in business for over 25 years and started several large clubs and I'm really :D and frustrated at how unorganised it all is, it would honestly make your hair curl, or even fall out..

thankyou again , I will be up late tonight doing up an agenda with all the relevent information. ATM no one even weems to know when and where and if a dog is about to be rehomed etc.

all just doing their own thing. I have a feeling the council is aware of this (as you would be after communicating for even 5 mins with the group) and this is why they have decided to come to the meeting. I'm just glad they are showing an interest :)

Be aware of the fact that when you come in and want to move them forward they resist be careful to assess what the peopel who have been doing what they do get out of it OTHER THAN helping the dogs and step carefully so you dont make them feel threatened.

Yes Steve, softly softly. I was originally invited and said I'd listen and offer advice later. Now it has become a very business like meeting (since yesterday!!) I will have to get my act together and tread carefully. The last thing I want is to get it all off on the wrong foot. :rolleyes: xxxx

Be aware of the fact that when you come in and want to move them forward they resist be careful to assess what the peopel who have been doing what they do get out of it OTHER THAN helping the dogs and step carefully so you dont make them feel threatened.

too true Steve