Base The Cost Of A Dog On Colour, Why?

Kristin Dwyer

I definately have colours and marking I like over others, but I would not EVER take a substandard dog because it was a colour I prefered.

I do not think a good dog can be a bad colour and luckily in Whippets anything goes. Some people are less likely to put up blacs or clown faces for example but if the puppy had everything else I wanted I would not , not keep the puppy becuase of a marking or colour.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a variety of possible colours and markings in our breed - having just had a litter, I've had a number of requests for particular colours. Its very difficult to predict 100% what colour you will get with a Lappie mating, even if both parent are the 'traditional' black tan and white, depending on what is behind the lines (and genetic lottery) you can end up with a litter of mixed or even mostly different colours. While its a bit of fun seeing what you get, the reality is that I've been very upfront to say that colour is a secondary consideration to other things (like health, type and temperament). So with this litter, I am looking for a particular type that I want to build on, colour is largely irrelevant.

Personally, though, I wouldn't charge differently for 'rare' or 'unusual' colours (although of know of instances where a higher price has been charged by others). The reason I don't do this myself is that I believe it places a 'value' on something that doesn't actually have an actual value, but is really just a reflection of fashion - and personally, I don't think selecting for colour helps with improving the breed in the long run. To each their own, however.

I charge more for a Tri coloured beagle than I do for a tan and white. Why? Because I can :wave: and I would pay more for a tri than a tan and white any day of the week. More people want them - supply and demand. I dont breed for colour but Im not going to feel guilty for taking as much as I can get either.

If a breeder can get more money and they are doing it all right in my opinion they should go for gold.

I would pay more than average for a quality blue & Tan Border terrier but that's only because I desperately want one! I would not purchase one at a higher price than it's littermates but what I mean is I would be prepared to pay more for a good blue as they are harder to find than grizzles, so my 'budget' would be larger. It would also benefit my breeding program to have a quality blue with correct tan.

But I do not believe in different prices in the one litter based on color.

I know of cases where breeders have sold pups of an unpopular or non-standard colors for less. I can understand this but not sure if I'd do it. But I guess if you have a black & tan Border or a white GSD for example, they are not to standard so ARE they worth as much?? They do take just as much care and expense to rear and of course are just as good as pets or companions but I dunno..... Fingers crossed I'll never have that issue :wave:

I would pay more than average for a quality blue & Tan Border terrier but that's only because I desperately want one! I would not purchase one at a higher price than it's littermates but what I mean is I would be prepared to pay more for a good blue as they are harder to find than grizzles, so my 'budget' would be larger. It would also benefit my breeding program to have a quality blue with correct tan.

I know of cases where breeders have sold pups of an unpopular or non-standard colors for less. I can understand this but not sure if I'd do it. But I guess if you have a black & tan Border or a white GSD for example, they are not to standard so ARE they worth as much?? They do take just as much care and expense to rear and of course are just as good as pets or companions but I dunno..... Fingers crossed I'll never have that issue :wave:

You would do it if you had a yard full of dogs which were not selling.Do you lower the price of all of them to equal the ones that dont sell as quickly and sell the others faster and still be left with the ones people dont like as much? Makes no sense to me.

I wonder why dog people get so hot under the collar about this. I just sold a pony. He sold for at least $1000 more because of his colour. And he didn't have boy bits so it wasn't a breeding thing.

Of course a sub standard animal shouldn't attract more money. Also silly to ask more money for a colour that can't be main registered or that will be frowned at in the show ring.

You would do it if you had a yard full of dogs which were not selling.Do you lower the price of all of them to equal the ones that dont sell as quickly and sell the others faster and still be left with the ones people dont like as much? Makes no sense to me.

Not sure what you're saying here???

I should have amended my first paragraph to say 'I don't personally agree with chargning separate prices for littermates based in color provided the colors met the standard'.

I am fortunate in my breed as all the standard colors are equally popular- there are people who don't care, there are people who will only have blue and there are those who only want a grizzle. Reds are relatively uncommon and I've not yet had an inquiry specifically for one. Wheatens are extinct apparently or incredibly rare.

I would perhaps sell a black and tan Border for $800 and sell it's grizzle or blue or red littermates for $1000 AS AN EXAMPLE.

Not sure what you're saying here???

I should have amended my first paragraph to say 'I don't personally agree with chargning separate prices for littermates based in color provided the colors met the standard'.

I am fortunate in my breed as all the standard colors are equally popular- there are people who don't care, there are people who will only have blue and there are those who only want a grizzle. Reds are relatively uncommon and I've not yet had an inquiry specifically for one. Wheatens are extinct apparently or incredibly rare.

I would perhaps sell a black and tan Border for $800 and sell it's grizzle or blue or red littermates for $1000 AS AN EXAMPLE.

I read somewhere that there are white Mini Schnauzers overseas. I wonder if they will be sold for more $$ than the other colours once they come into Australia. Maybe breeders will charge for the extra expence of importing a breeding dog of that colour ?

We have imported a black & would never dream of charging more for a colour ,its like charging more because it.s an oodle .

Makes no sense to say charge more for a colour then go berko at pet shops for charging more because it's a DD.

In our breed we certainly do have people who charge more & QLD is the main culprit.

We have a rush on people wanting Black/Silver a colour we don't breed & yes many have brought some very poor animals due to colour at a higher price .The sad part is the breeding will not produce a quality B?S & with age have ended up dark Salt/Pepper .

But you get a handful of people who want something bad enough & will pay for it but we won't take advantage of those said people.

All pups in the litter where breed as equals & are sold as equals

I read somewhere that there are white Mini Schnauzers overseas. I wonder if they will be sold for more $$ than the other colours once they come into Australia. Maybe breeders will charge for the extra expence of importing a breeding dog of that colour ?

We have imported a black & would never dream of charging more for a colour ,its like charging more because it.s an oodle .

Makes no sense to say charge more for a colour then go berko at pet shops for charging more because it's a DD.

In our breed we certainly do have people who charge more & QLD is the main culprit.

We have a rush on people wanting Black/Silver a colour we don't breed & yes many have brought some very poor animals due to colour at a higher price .The sad part is the breeding will not produce a quality B?S & with age have ended up dark Salt/Pepper .

But you get a handful of people who want something bad enough & will pay for it but we won't take advantage of those said people.

rubbish

One of the things that bothers me selling certain colours for more, is that you are not only meeting demand, you are also serving to create & increase it.

If other breeders know that a certain colour will sell for more or be more sought after, some of them will be more likely to factor this in to their next breeding choices. The crappier breeders will be willing to sacrifice more to get the colours that there is demand for & pretty soon there are rainbow litters of crap dogs. I think people who sell their coloured pups for more should in part be willing to take some responsibility for this.

The above is a MAJOR factor in my breed. 30-60% of the breeders ads on DOL at any point in time are often more about colour than anything else & like someone else mentioned, it seems to be more prevalent in QLD.

some blue staffys, are get ripped any where from $2500 to $4000, i mean some of them ive seen look Amstaff's and look nothing like a staffy.

I think perhaps people allow themselves to be deluded so they can rationalise their desire to own something which costs way more than any sensible person would pay for an otherwise substandard item.

:wave: I know I shouldn't laugh but that's a classic

:eek: I was going to post the same (although could not possibly have coined it quite so eloquently as you have here, Sandra). I bet you anything that if the general trend was to pay more for great temperament, then people would become more temperament interested and colour wouldn't be quite as important (although of course it will always play a part - aesthetics always will).

Edited by Erny

This is such a pet peeve of mine. It happens quite a bit in my breed and it drives me nuts :wave: I can't understand how someone thinks it's ok to charge WAY more for a different colour when the pedigree is exactly the same.

It helps create fads in my opinion. Anything for a quick dollar :eek:

rubbish

Each to there own Steve,you charge more (your words

)If a breeder can get more money and they are doing it all right in my opinion they should go for gold.

I understand this subject has come up most likely 200x's before (im sorry!).

However, why do people base the cost of a dog to there "colour"?

I find it, there just after the cash and a money making scam. Why shound a dog cost more because its a rare colour? Isnt the same breed/type/temperament at the end of day?

Its just like when i have my first litter of Border Collies this year, i got a 2 blue merle's in the litter and i could of ripped people off for there $$$. Then why should i do that, there just as even as my other puppies in my litter. Plus i would so much rather, a sweet loving family home where they are treated like every other dog and not just more its looks or fancy colour. :thumbsup:

Whats your view on this?

What's your prefix, Kristin? Didn't you get blue merles because you used your blue merle Australian Shepherd as the sire?

I find that generally "rare" colors are sold cheaper in a lot of cases (excluding the scammers).

Like if you have a litter of Harlequin Great Danes and one if born a merle that is mostly white, some breeders will charge a lot less because it's not a 'show' color.

Or breeds that require very distinct markings, if they don't have the correct ones they are sold cheaper.

What about markings within a colour? For example, in Danes, a well marked Harli and Mantle isn't exactly 'easy' to breed - if one was a good example of the breed and had the correct markings, would it be wrong to charge more than a mismark that wouldn't really be show quality (purely because of markings)?

In a sellers market, people can charge what they like.

If I produced a stunner of a puppy in a rare/unusual colouring and someone else wanted it badly, why not charge them a fair, if slightly inflated price.

I'd pay more for a quality animal of my preferred colour.

But then again I charge more for show versus companion only puppies. So my pups are differently priced from the get go.

That said, I still shake my head that similar breeds to mine charge twice the going rate for my breed. There is a certainly some price fixing going on in at least one of them, but buyers seem happy to pay the higher price.

When I got my Dobe I specifically wanted a Black & Tan. There is no way I would ever buy a Blue Dobe for any price let alone a overinflated one, but luckily Dobe breeders don't seem to be trying to play the 'rare' card with them (well not that I've seen so far anyway). Sadly I've notice in the USA that there seem to be a rising number of White Dobes being advertised and promoted as 'rare'. I can only hope that it doesn't start a similar trend over here.

And yet boxer breeders drown their white ones at birth, yet they are the cause of the white forever wanting more and more bling.

Its like on the weekend I was reading the trading post on line and the weekend shopper, the amount of poodle somethings, cav something elses for sale at extremely high prices astounded me, and purebred breeders struggle sometimes to justify their prices and horse breeders trying to get $1500 for young stock is not uncommon, and yet gullible dog buyers will pay $700 for a beaglier (beagle/cav) WHAT??? doesn't make sense, the same as buying for colour doesn't make sense, but it happens in the horse world all the time.

What does it tell me, people are stupid and shallow, but breeding for colour is even worse, type, soundness, temperament should be a priority not colour.

Edited by equerry