Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

You might find the book 'Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America' by Nathan Winograd really interesting.

Mildly, interesting but a lot of it irrelevant and some of it completely unethical. Does not apply to this situation.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not abandon this dog in her time of need by taking her to the pound. I would get a payment plan from the vet to desex her and then I'd go from there.

Many dogs from a crap background improve with love and patience. Often they've had appalling owners.

I speak from experience, having rescued many dogs and fostered over 100. My joy is in seeing them blossom and placing them very carefully, into just the right home.

I'm also realistic - some cannot be rehabbed and then you either keep them (if you have the right home) or let them go.

As an ordinary dog owner - I suggest (as others have) that you contact someone who knows what they are doing, like a rescue group. You could offer to foster her over the Christmas period which is really bad for us rescuers with too many dogs in the pounds and not enough foster carers due to Xmas holidays etc.

There is a way but you have to have a heart to be bothered to find it! :o

Edited by dogmad

You might find the book 'Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America' by Nathan Winograd really interesting.

Mildly, interesting but a lot of it irrelevant and some of it completely unethical. Does not apply to this situation.

I wasn't referring to this situation but to your comments about people not understanding the overpopulation problem in this country.

Reading Nathan Winograd won't help anyone's understanding of what happens in this country.

thanks for helping the dog out siks3, i hope whatever you decided goes well for you and your dogs

if the dog has no microchip it is not legally owned by anyone, and you wouldnt be breaking the law. you do not legally have to hand it into a shelter or over to your council. As long as you try to notify its 'owners' of its whereabouts then you are also not breaking a 'moral' law.

You learn something new everyday. I thought 'by law' stray dogs had to be handed into the pound, whether they are chipped or not. :)

ETA I am sure this is the case - unless it is different in different states????

Edited by k9angel

thanks for helping the dog out siks3, i hope whatever you decided goes well for you and your dogs

if the dog has no microchip it is not legally owned by anyone, and you wouldnt be breaking the law. you do not legally have to hand it into a shelter or over to your council. As long as you try to notify its 'owners' of its whereabouts then you are also not breaking a 'moral' law.

You learn something new everyday. I thought 'by law' stray dogs had to be handed into the pound, whether they are chipped or not. :)

ETA I am sure this is the case - unless it is different in different states????

NSW yes.

Yes, the law is different in different states.

There are laws about what you can do with a found dog.

There are totally different laws, about being able to establish ownership using the impounding system when an owner will not sign over a dog.

All state laws, all different in each state.

I have no idea what the law is however where I live you have to report a lost/found dog and the council will give you the owners details so you can return it or if the details cannot be determined they keep your details on record so that when the owners ring the pound or council etc. they can pass your details on as they prefer whenever possible for the person who finds the dog to look after it.

Of course often this is not possible, but they ask if you are able to hang onto it while they trace the owner.

I'd also suggest a rescue group, and abort/desex. dear little thing.

Sorry to disappoint Moselle but my views are the same regardless of the breeding of the dog.

As RSG said - there are worse things for a dog than to be PTS especially one who may not have the right temperament and who is going to end up in a crowded pound at the worst time of the year.

Personally I think it is more humane to let the dog go peacefully than to subject it to the pound environment for however long before it gets PTS there.

Given your profession I thought you would have been more open to the fact that everyone has a different social and moral compass :)

Edited by Danois

It's not his dog to kill. He's hardly going to pay for the poor little thing to be euth'd when he doesnt have the money to desex after forking out 2k for injuries to his little foxy after his Akita mauled it. The first thing he should have done when he 'found' the 'abandoned' dog was to ring the ranger - no ifs or buts. Dogs are not finders-keepers to decide on a whim what happens to them. Leave it to the correct channels!

I think Danois had a good point.

Nervy, timid dogs are very hard to rehome. Who wants a dog with a temperament fault?

It is always kinder for a dog to be euthanised while it is relatively calm, with somebody it knows, not to be put in a noisy scary environment and killed a week later by a scary stranger.

Now it's my turn to get angry and have a little opinion, ok?

I am tired of hearing from know-it-alls that scream blue murder whenever somebody mentions putting to sleep an unwanted dog with temperament problems.

Your opinions show how little you understand about the overpopulation we have in this country. It is insulting and nasty to the people that are trying to solve the problem. It is counter-productive to people that are working hard to raise the profile of rescue dogs.

People like you are a very big problem. Refusing to acknowledge that people buying a pet dog, do deserve a really good one. Making it harder for good dogs to get into homes by insisting that faulty ones get priority.

Either take the dog yourself or just shut up and stop pretending you care!

I hope this post was not directed at me GM.

We dont even know how long the OP has had this dog, she might just be afraid of the new environment, she may have been mistreated in the past, we just dont know the ins and outs of what is going on. There could be a myriad of reasons as to why this dog is behavind timidly. Personally I think the OP should give her a little time to calm down and adjust to her new environment before even considering putting her down.

Ive worked in rescue aswell and I do understand that there are a lot of dogs that are really not worth saving as they will never adjust....they are too far gone. But I dont agree with jumping the gun and putting her down just yet. She really needs to be assessed by someone in the know to suss out how suitable she is to being rehomed.

And the original owners have yet to sign this dog over formally, so to PTS now could get the OP in trouble should the original owners come knocking to get their dog back.

I would not abandon this dog in her time of need by taking her to the pound. I would get a payment plan from the vet to desex her and then I'd go from there.

Many dogs from a crap background improve with love and patience. Often they've had appalling owners.

I speak from experience, having rescued many dogs and fostered over 100. My joy is in seeing them blossom and placing them very carefully, into just the right home.

I'm also realistic - some cannot be rehabbed and then you either keep them (if you have the right home) or let them go.

As an ordinary dog owner - I suggest (as others have) that you contact someone who knows what they are doing, like a rescue group. You could offer to foster her over the Christmas period which is really bad for us rescuers with too many dogs in the pounds and not enough foster carers due to Xmas holidays etc.

There is a way but you have to have a heart to be bothered to find it! :)

I completely agree with this post.

No Danielle, my post was completely directed at Moselle.

I realise that everyone will have their own opinion with the best way to deal with this. There is no 'right' and 'wrong', just the paths we would choose that hopefully will bring the best outcome.

Moselle chose to viciously attack a person that put forward an option that was tough, but completely ethical and reasonable. That is why I responded in that way.

Nobody making the hard decisions to do with dogs deserves to be verbally abused by anyone.

No Danielle, my post was completely directed at Moselle.

I realise that everyone will have their own opinion with the best way to deal with this. There is no 'right' and 'wrong', just the paths we would choose that hopefully will bring the best outcome.

Moselle chose to viciously attack a person that put forward an option that was tough, but completely ethical and reasonable. That is why I responded in that way.

Nobody making the hard decisions to do with dogs deserves to be verbally abused by anyone.

Oh good, just checking. :)

I hope we haven't scared the OP away, id like to see how this story turns out. Hope it turns out well for the dog involved.

desex her if you can, if not cull the pups at birth to only 2 or 3, then surrender those pups when old enough to a good rescue.

Desexing may be good in early stages but I dont know about "culling"puppies when they are born unless they have some terrible defects and a vet does it!

This is cruel. If they are born then they are here and need attending to humanly and with care like any puppy regardless of breed or pedigree. I think this culling would be a terrible choice. I realise that the pups are unknown etc health wise but how many adopted dogs have long happy lives... a lot.

If it has happened and is too late to desex then please care for these pups as anyone would with any litter and sell them to carefully selected homes for the price of the vaccinations, microchips and food.

Its a lot of work but Im sure you will find great homes for these pups and have your girl desexed as soon as you can after she has had the puppies and they are weaned.

I had an accidental breeding that I recieved some flack from on the forum and I do understood some of the reasoning for this, however there are some very very extreme comments on here from some people who are supposed to be animal lovers .

If you care for animals and it sound like you do then dont cull at birth unless advised by a vet for medical reasons. Good luck with it all.

I have adopted a little dog that I just found out is pregnant.

What would you do with the pups.

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.

I want to know what people think.

I just read the part about your dog being inbred. That is so sad and I posted a comment on culling pups which I find shocking. However aborting the pups before the mother goes through labour is sounding like a good idea for this poor dog as the pups may or are likely to have some health probs due to inbreeding. Basic genetics tells us this is a huge warning sign regardless of the breed of the dogs involved.