New To Forum. Pup Price Question

mcsenna

Hello dogowners. I have just loined the forum and hoping to gain lots of valuable tips from the wise within. If anyone can help with my first question that would be great.

We are about to add another dog to the family and I am keen to get a Doberman, I would only buy from a recognized breeder and wonder if anyone has any ideas on what a fair price would be for a Dobe pup.

The dog will not be shown or used for breeding.

It's just nice to have a rough idea of what things are worth before you go shopping I think.

Cheers

I am not a breeder, but I do currently own a Dobe and have shared my entire life with at least one for as long as I can remember.

From what I've seen you can expect to pay anywhere from $1000 to $2500 (I have seen some advertised for $4000 on main registration but I think that is a joke and would not pay that myself).

I payed $1500 for my current boy on limited rego (he is from working lines so I was never interested in showing or breeding so main or limited papers made no difference to me)and was happy to do so because he is from the lines I wanted.

I advise you to reasearch lot's of different breeders and find one that suits what you are looking for and vice versa.

Good luck and please post pics when you get your puppy. Dobermanns are the most beautiful dogs in every way! :eek:

I am not a breeder, but I do currently own a Dobe and have shared my entire life with at least one for as long as I can remember.

From what I've seen you can expect to pay anywhere from $1000 to $2500 (I have seen some advertised for $4000 on main registration but I think that is a joke and would not pay that myself).

I payed $1500 for my current boy on limited rego (he is from working lines so I was never interested in showing or breeding so main or limited papers made no difference to me)and was happy to do so because he is from the lines I wanted.

I advise you to reasearch lot's of different breeders and find one that suits what you are looking for and vice versa.

Good luck and please post pics when you get your puppy. Dobermanns are the most beautiful dogs in every way! :eek:

Thanks to all for that, seems around $1500 is on the mark. Now to find the right dog.......

Cheers

Welcome mcsenna!

It's probably the wrong time of year for it, but a good way to start finding the right pup for you is to go to some dog shows and/or obedience trials and have a look at the Dobermans there - and when people aren't busy, get chaatting to them. This will give you an idea about different lines. And of course, do your research on the breed, so that you will know some of the right questions to ask - particularly about health testing and so on.

You can find out when shows and trials are on by going to the Dogs SA website.

I think when looking for any purebreed pup, budget for about $2000 to be on the safe side. If it ends up being less than that, then bonus! More dog toys :eek:

Yikes!

That's double what you'd pay for a Whippet!

;) :rofl: OMG pf - you have soooo opened yourself up to some smart Dobe owner replying - yeah - but you get twice the dog :o ;)

P.S. Sorry OP - you'll get used to this :)

I think when looking for any purebreed pup, budget for about $2000 to be on the safe side. If it ends up being less than that, then bonus! More dog toys :eek:

Yikes!

:rofl::rofl: OMG pf - you have soooo opened yourself up to some smart Dobe owner replying - yeah - but you get twice the dog :o ;)

That's exactly what popped into my head too :rofl: ;)

ETA: Just a word of advice, don't make that the first question to the breeder! "Hi, I like the look of your dogs, how much are they?" will probably put your enquiry at the bottom of the pile. Explain who you are, what you can give a dog, etc. Not your life story, but just general information about you . Breeders will want to make sure their babies are going to good homes!

Edited by KumaAkita

Yikes!

:rofl::rofl: OMG pf - you have soooo opened yourself up to some smart Dobe owner replying - yeah - but you get twice the dog :o ;)

That's exactly what popped into my head too :rofl: ;)

ETA: Just a word of advice, don't make that the first question to the breeder! "Hi, I like the look of your dogs, how much are they?" will probably put your enquiry at the bottom of the pile. Explain who you are, what you can give a dog, etc. Not your life story, but just general information about you . Breeders will want to make sure their babies are going to good homes!

Thanks for that, yes it would seem that I'm being "interviewed" at the moment.

Cheers

Yikes!

It's about double what you'd pay for a Sibe too. :o

Make sure you are actually going to get Pedigree Registration papers with the puppy, as some tend to say the dog is pedigree but the papers never turn up. A pedigree does turn up but not the registration of it. Big difference!

Thank you Ruthless for your recommendation mcsenna good luck in your research, I hope you will find the right dog from the right breeder.

Make sure you are actually going to get Pedigree Registration papers with the puppy, as some tend to say the dog is pedigree but the papers never turn up. A pedigree does turn up but not the registration of it. Big difference!

Thank you Ruthless for your recommendation mcsenna good luck in your research, I hope you will find the right dog from the right breeder.

Thanks for that, I have found a pup for around that price and they are saying "limited registration" is that what you mean?

Cheers

Thanks for that, I have found a pup for around that price and they are saying "limited registration" is that what you mean?

Cheers

Limited registration means that the dog will have papers but cannot be shown or bred from and will more than likely come with a desexing contract. (pet dog)

As opposed to main register which means that the dog is eligable to be entered in shows and possibly bred from.

Welcome mcsenna!

It's probably the wrong time of year for it, but a good way to start finding the right pup for you is to go to some dog shows and/or obedience trials and have a look at the Dobermans there - and when people aren't busy, get chaatting to them. This will give you an idea about different lines. And of course, do your research on the breed, so that you will know some of the right questions to ask - particularly about health testing and so on.

You can find out when shows and trials are on by going to the Dogs SA website.

Great idea, pop on down to one of our local shows and you will meet some very nice breeders with some lovely Dobes. I have PM'ed you if you need help working out what shows are on when.

Good luck :cry:

Being ,"interviewed ' is hard!

I recently wanted an older dog to join mine, and i found it quiet a minefield to navigate.

Most of my dogs have come through rescue, so it was all a new ball game, i was the one having to convince a breeder i was good enough for an older bitch.!

I nearly gave up, felt a bit intimidated, until a lovely doler pm'd me and helped me find the right dog.

Stick with it, is my advice, if someone wants you to have a pup with no questions asked about you, i would not choose them, its hard being put through the ringer, but worth it, my new girl is everything i could have wanted, and a breeder who would take her back anytime if needed to.