Your Experiences With The Front Clipping Harness

sas

The T-touch method requires a bit of skill, using a front-attach harness normally requires minimal skill. The front bit probably needs to be a little looser than you would expect of a normal harness. You can also adjust the position. They sit on the shoulder, possibly lower than you are expecting.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The T-touch method requires a bit of skill, using a front-attach harness normally requires minimal skill. The front bit probably needs to be a little looser than you would expect of a normal harness. You can also adjust the position. They sit on the shoulder, possibly lower than you are expecting.

I found this:

and this:
Edited by sas

we got one for Digby when we were in the process of teaching him to walk nicely. we thought it would be good because he had hardly any hair on his neck and its a bit scarred...

but it just didn't work for us :cry: I couldn't work out why (I tried adjusting it). I think maybe I was just too used to using a collar and it felt weird to me. and he is also so so strong that it was completely useless when he saw a cat!

I think it was KM brand.

yeah I'm not finding it any help, more of a hinderance but really trying not to go to the check chain if I can avoid it as I just don't think the new families are usually well timed enough to do it.

I found this:

That's not bad actually - we worked with the leash looped under the leg initially but once they get the hang of it and walk without leaning into the leash (Zig was one sided even if not pulling) it's easy to switch to the harness. We got more out of the whole process than just not pulling - the balance part was really interesting.

I've used both the easy walk and the black dog one quite extensively and like both.

The easy walk I had the same issue as Cosmolo and the blackdog - I found initially some problems with the fitting around the chest but Warren assures me they are onto fixing this. The BD one is probably my preferred option but I don't worry about both leads :cry:

I've used both the easy walk and the black dog one quite extensively and like both.

The easy walk I had the same issue as Cosmolo and the blackdog - I found initially some problems with the fitting around the chest but Warren assures me they are onto fixing this. The BD one is probably my preferred option but I don't worry about both leads :cry:

Did you find there was a technique as such that worked best?

We used to have no pull harnesses that were almost exactly the same as the Black Dog ones, however where you clipped the lead on to the front, was a slip action, so when you pulled, rather than just pulling the chest bit across, it tightened a bit. It was a much better design IMO.

The easy walk I had the same issue as Cosmolo and the blackdog - I found initially some problems with the fitting around the chest but Warren assures me they are onto fixing this. The BD one is probably my preferred option but I don't worry about both leads :(

Hehe, I've had the "you really must have the double ended leash to go with it" from BD...mmmm no thanks!

:thumbsup:

I use double endeds with my dogs but it's hard for some clients to get the hang of.

Have you also tried the Sensible LP? I ordered some in when there were none here...I wonder if they've revised the product I should probably take another look.

I have the sensible, it was fitted for me initially by the lady who sold it to me. The instructions are pretty detailed, something about over the back and under the tummy being adjusted to be the same length and not making it too tight ie being able to get a thumb in under the tummy when the dog is in sit, with a neat fit from there across the chest.

I met someone with a great dane who tried it and couldn't get it to fit her dog. I figure the shape of the dog would affect whether these things could operate successfully. Plus with the sensible - the most control you get is when you pull the lead straight up and slightly back - which would be hard with a great dane unless you're really really tall too.

I do find it easy and I can hand my dog wearing hers to my mum who has full control. Dog tends to behave better when wearing it anyway but occasionally if she forgets herself - it gives much greater leverage.

The alternative to that is the head halti - (nose band thingy) used as described in Susan Garrett's "Ruff love". I'd like my dog to stop sniffing for possum poo and lost bbq sausage but I'm not ready to implement the instructions in that book.

I have been using a sense-ible harness for ages and love it ! both my dogs (one big and one little) seem to like them. I have been looking to get a new one and found one on Ebay the other day from an Aussie seller which is great as it took me ages to get my last one. :thumbsup: I havent tried the other harnesses so dont know what they are like but wouldnt want to change now.

I paid about $25 including postage from The Vetshed for the Gentle Leader Easy Walker for my 19 kilo border collie & it worked like a charm....I think from memory you do have to do it up fairly firmly with only a couple of fingers in it. I don't need to use it any more unless I am taking her into a very exciting situation, but I find it works great. I talked my sister, who has bad sholders, into getting one for her little foxy x poodle who would only weigh about 8 kilos & she said it's great.

Have you seen this new head harness called the Canny Collar www.cannyco.com.au which controls from behind the head & doesn't ride up into the eyes. There's a review in the latest Dogs NSW Mag written by a Canadian Animal Chiropracter. I am not a fan of head collars but, I quote "This collar is unique in that it actually teaches the dog to walk quietly by the handler. It does so gently - the "reins" control the dog from behind the head, not from under the chin, so it doesn't pull the dogs head sideways, & the soft nose strap can't ride up into the dogs eyes"

I have the sensible, it was fitted for me initially by the lady who sold it to me. The instructions are pretty detailed, something about over the back and under the tummy being adjusted to be the same length and not making it too tight ie being able to get a thumb in under the tummy when the dog is in sit, with a neat fit from there across the chest.

I met someone with a great dane who tried it and couldn't get it to fit her dog. I figure the shape of the dog would affect whether these things could operate successfully. Plus with the sensible - the most control you get is when you pull the lead straight up and slightly back - which would be hard with a great dane unless you're really really tall too.

I do find it easy and I can hand my dog wearing hers to my mum who has full control. Dog tends to behave better when wearing it anyway but occasionally if she forgets herself - it gives much greater leverage.

The alternative to that is the head halti - (nose band thingy) used as described in Susan Garrett's "Ruff love". I'd like my dog to stop sniffing for possum poo and lost bbq sausage but I'm not ready to implement the instructions in that book.

This is just with a little 8 kilo mixed breed pup :eek:

I don't personaly support Halters in the hands of those who aren't trained properly in using them, the reason for trying the front clipping harness is because when dogs go to their new homes teaching someone how to use a check chain properly can't be done in one session.

Edited by sas

Have you seen this new head harness called the Canny Collar www.cannyco.com.au which controls from behind the head & doesn't ride up into the eyes. There's a review in the latest Dogs NSW Mag written by a Canadian Animal Chiropracter. I am not a fan of head collars but, I quote "This collar is unique in that it actually teaches the dog to walk quietly by the handler. It does so gently - the "reins" control the dog from behind the head, not from under the chin, so it doesn't pull the dogs head sideways, & the soft nose strap can't ride up into the dogs eyes"

Yeah I don't support head halters on dogs with handlers who don't know how to use them properly, new families to these foster dogs would need to know how to use them properly.

I've had foster dogs been damaged on halters in their previous homes through mis-use so I've quite wary on that front.

Black Dog have had this style of collar for many many years, I didn't actually think much of the style at all for hard core pullers as you have no control of the head really.

I'll do some research on this one.

In reality dogs are simply more suited to some training devices than others.

I'm almost tempted to just go back to my check chain LOL

Edited by sas

I had a go last night using different methods, all I got was a dog pulling on an angle LOL

:thumbsup: that's funny.

I don't use harnesses generally speaking, so I'm not an expert in the different styles (although I know of them). Something I've seen a few times around and about is the dog who has been 'trained' to walk via harness and who has (as a result, I assume) learned to track untrue. I know they work for some, maybe many, but I think we need to be aware of this phenomena when it comes to the front connecting harnesses.

Edited by Erny

I had a go last night using different methods, all I got was a dog pulling on an angle LOL

:thumbsup: that's funny.

I don't use harnesses generally speaking, so I'm not an expert in the different styles (although I know of them). Something I've seen a few times around and about is the dog who has been 'trained' to walk via harness and who has (as a result, I assume) learned to track untrue. I know they work for some, maybe many, but I think we need to be aware of this phenomena when it comes to the front connecting harnesses.

How do you mean track untrue? Do you mean an odd gait?

I'm thinking this dog just isn't suitable for the front clipping harness.

Edited by sas

No, the gait is ok - I mean that the dogs, whilst not pulling and otherwise walking quite nicely, were walking on an angle (varying from very slight to quite obvious). I have seen this from time to time with head collars as well. I suspect it is from incorrect handling (eg. handler not being conscientious about giving a loose lead to their dog when they could) and I don't say that I see it often, but the point is it can happen.

No, the gait is ok - I mean that the dogs, whilst not pulling and otherwise walking quite nicely, were walking on an angle (varying from very slight to quite obvious). I have seen this from time to time with head collars as well. I suspect it is from incorrect handling (eg. handler not being conscientious about giving a loose lead to their dog when they could) and I don't say that I see it often, but the point is it can happen.

Ah I see what you mean.