Here We Go Mandatory Desexing For All Pet Puppies.

Steve

There is no such thing as any human behaviour with out personal gain. Sometimes that gain may be attention, or a feeling of fulfillment, a warm fuzzy feeling or a dollar or two but there is no such thing as a breeder who does what they do without a part of that being - whats in it for me.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vetrq - I agree with you totally about breeders thinking they are special. I am against anyone breeding dogs for personal gain. I don't care whether they are a BYB or a Registered Breeder pretending to give a damn...they are the same in my opinion.

are you serious? so where did you get you dog from?

Was wondering if your were serious also???

I am a registered breeder and I give more than just a damn.

edited because i cant read

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

There is no such thing as any human behaviour with out personal gain. Sometimes that gain may be attention, or a feeling of fulfillment, a warm fuzzy feeling or a dollar or two but there is no such thing as a breeder who does what they do without a part of that being - whats in it for me.

Thats right.

One excellent provision of the bill is to ban the sale of mammals at markets.

That will shut a local NSW puppy farmer out of selling pups at Hall Markets. :)

It's about bloody time too. That seller has been doing horrible things to pups which end up at the markets for years. ;) Every time I took a foster dog to the markets with ARF, I was inundated with enquiries and the numbers of people who were horrified at the puppy seller's behaviours was incredible. I'm surprised they're still there to be honest as I had hoped public pressure would have closed them down before now. :D

The problems with the planned legislation are 1. it's unenforcable which is bad legislation and 2. it is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The problem is that the vast majority of people who have a litter do it from the best motives (rarely money) and a small detructive minority cause issues by being irresponsible. Even the people who run into issues with mismatings etc usually do it through ignorance.

If any organisation wishes to avoid outside interference then they must police themselves effectively. This also means considering what "outsiders" think of their attitudes and behaviours. Lots of people honestly think breeding breeds which require eyelid tacking at 2 weeks to be able to see is wrong, that booking elective caesars because they are completely unable to whelp is wrong, that selling pups with the recommendation that "you had better get its airways operated on before summer" is wrong. The breed associations need to address this sort of issue then they would be able to say to politicians that dog people are responsible and able to police themselves and make decisions on their own.

I am aware of the literature on the subject but given the choice There aren't many vets who would rather do major surgery on an 8 week old pup rather than a 6 month old so I suspect there won't be floods of vets keen to assist this policy!

Instead of wasting money changing laws why does the RSPCA not offer more free de-sexing days or the government give desexing rebates?

I liked a lot of your post, ML. Re, that bit:

A couple of councils in Central Qld provide funding for lower-income people to get their pets desexed at lower cost. Also I think the AWL vet clinics give consideration to people who can't afford full costs.

UQ research (in association with RSPCA) found that kittens can be desexed earlier than had been traditional. Good thing in that cats have the worst stats for becoming homeless & not rehomed. But the same report said that the training to do earlier desexing wasn't in most vet programs at the moment. They made the point that earlier- than- traditional desexing does not apply to dogs.

My position is that any dog or cat kept totally for the purpose of being a pet, should be desexed. One of the top experienced breeders, in my breed of interest, desexes all her puppies, destined for totally pet homes, before adoption. I have the strong feeling, tho'...& research would support me..that the dumping problem is not associated with the 'products' of breeders like this, anyway.

It was unregistered breeders who came out poorly in the Qld research....& specially so, for producing numbers of accidental litters.

There needs to be a way to target the sources from which problems tend to flow on, along the line & into pounds/shelters. Targeting the people who are already actually preventing problems would be counter-productive.

Edited by mita

Instead of wasting money changing laws why does the RSPCA not offer more free de-sexing days or the government give desexing rebates?

Enforce the laws we have or give incentives to promote responsible pet ownership.

RSPCA ACT are offering a desexing program for low income owners, and have run a public / low income vet clinic for some time.

http://issuu.com/cre8ive/docs/rspca_act_an...2010/1?mode=a_p

Here is the link to the RSPCA's last annual report. The canine figures are on page 22 for those interested. Take note there is no explanation for the fate of the 255 dogs they transferred to DAS, but a check of the rescue threads here on DOL show what happen to some of them. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=47

No oversupply of dogs?? Keep checking the rescue threads and then come back and say that.

Both RSPCA ACT and DAS pound ACT have exceptionally high rehoming rates. Over 90% for both I think? Far higher than a good many pounsd and shelters across the country, so certainly heading in a positive direction. The old routine of "RSPCA ACT only has good rehome figures as they send all the dogs to DAS to be pts" has been done to death. DAS rehome rates show otherwise.

I think I recall having heard Mr Linke speak about early desexing, and that he supports it for cats but not necesarily for dogs as he is aware there are medical issues surrounding it. You'd best ask him directly though. :banghead:

vetrq - I agree with you totally about breeders thinking they are special. I am against anyone breeding dogs for personal gain. I don't care whether they are a BYB or a Registered Breeder pretending to give a damn...they are the same in my opinion.

YES!!!

It should be illegal to own or sell any animals!!

Dog breeding should be illegal!

Free animals from human slavery!

Be Green, Vote Green!

Enforce the laws we have or give incentives to promote responsible pet ownership.

RSPCA ACT are offering a desexing program for low income owners, and have run a public / low income vet clinic for some time.

Here is the link to the RSPCA's last annual report. The canine figures are on page 22 for those interested. Take note there is no explanation for the fate of the 255 dogs they transferred to DAS, but a check of the rescue threads here on DOL show what happen to some of them. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showforum=47

No oversupply of dogs?? Keep checking the rescue threads and then come back and say that.

Both RSPCA ACT and DAS pound ACT have exceptionally high rehoming rates. Over 90% for both I think? Far higher than a good many pounsd and shelters across the country, so certainly heading in a positive direction. The old routine of "RSPCA ACT only has good rehome figures as they send all the dogs to DAS to be pts" has been done to death. DAS rehome rates show otherwise.

I think I recall having heard Mr Linke speak about early desexing, and that he supports it for cats but not necesarily for dogs as he is aware there are medical issues surrounding it. You'd best ask him directly though. :)

If the RSPCA was serious about desexing then with all their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they could easily subsidise desexing dogs, at $50 a go, for ALL income levels. Imagine the amount of custom they'd get if they marketed that.

The day that happens would be the same day flying pink pigs come shooting out of Ingrid Newkirk's (the other white meat...I mean idiot) backside.

It wasn't too long ago they tried to introduce very similar legislation in Qld with mandatory desexing ect. Dogs Qld steped in along with others and now the only thing that is Mandatory is Microchipping. Perhaps the ACT should contact Dogs Qld for some help.

I think I recall having heard Mr Linke speak about early desexing, and that he supports it for cats but not necesarily for dogs as he is aware there are medical issues surrounding it. You'd best ask him directly though. :)

If the RSPCA was serious about desexing then with all their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they could easily subsidise desexing dogs, at $50 a go, for ALL income levels. Imagine the amount of custom they'd get if they marketed that.

The day that happens would be the same day flying pink pigs come shooting out of Ingrid Newkirk's (the other white meat...I mean idiot) backside.

RSPCA and all their dollars :):):)

This thread is great!! havent laughed so much from some of the posts for ages thanks guys!

RSPCA and all their dollars :):):)

This thread is great!! havent laughed so much from some of the posts for ages thanks guys!

Please don't try the poor broke RSPCA trip.