I Feel So Awful!

Danielle

Abbi (smithy) has always had an issue with machinery or elec tools, mowers, whipper snippets etc. She has in the past bitten my hubby when he was mowing etc so we are pretty vigilant with keeping her secure whilst using motorized equipment.

Today my dad came down to our place with his whipper snipper to do some work, (he is getting over a hip replacement and is taking every opportunity to get out and do some work as he was bed ridden for so long). Anyways I didn't hear him come thru the gate, just heard the WS start up. Abbi was inside with me but my poodles were in the yard. I raced out to get the poodles and bring them in but Abbi squeezed thru the door, sprinted towards dad and attacked his leg. I feel so incredibly responsible and awful!

We checked his leg, four puncture marks and quite a lot of blood. He is up to date for tetanus etc but won't go see a dr as he is one of "those" types...man of steel, you know.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, I just feel so terrible for my poor old dad and I just wish Abbi would not behave like this. In every other situation she is an angel, but start up a mower and ur fair game.

I feel so sad, i can't stop crying. Poor dad, he took it like a trooper, it was me who was bloody hysterical. God I feel like crap. :thumbsup:

oh Dear :(:thumbsup:

Please get your dad to see a doctor - he needs antibiotics.After a hip replacement, he does NOT need an infection in his leg .....

May I suggest you contact a behaviourist as well , so Abbi's behaviour can be assessed, and hopefully some new training/management plan can be done.

oh Dear :(:thumbsup:

Please get your dad to see a doctor - he needs antibiotics.After a hip replacement, he does NOT need an infection in his leg .....

May I suggest you contact a behaviourist as well , so Abbi's behaviour can be assessed, and hopefully some new training/management plan can be done.

Thanks pers, I'll try to talk him into seeing the dr.

Abbi is 10 and has a tumour (brain) but can still go hard like the young ones. I don't think it's the cancer that making her do this as she has always acted like this around machinery, even as a youngster. She has had full obedience training and used to do agility before her back and legs got bad. Do you think it's worth doing some further training considering she has only a limited amount of time left with us?

I'll call the vet and see if they can recommend a behaviorist. It's probably worth a shot hey.

Make sure he keeps a clsoe eye on it so it doesn't get infected. HE will also know what she is like so hopefully between the two of you it will never happen again. Abbi is your unwell girl isn't she??? I would just use management

Yes, she's my sick one.

I'll call a behaviourist like pers said and see what they recommend.

Hopefully the old man won't be so blazay (sp?) around her anymore. :thumbsup: now to get him to see a dr.

I'm not sure it's worth behaviour training for the dog at that age, unless you think you have several more years with it.

For the whipper snipper operator though, training might work. Before getting out or starting up the whipper snipper, make sure dog is secure, ideally inside the house, inside a crate. The guy that does my lawns does not start up any machinery until the dog is secure. It's almost impossible for him to get through any of the gates without receiving a very loud welcome - though in the last couple of days I've met two people - meter reader and a stray dog owner who have ignored that. Neither got eaten but sheesh, could you use the door bell or wait?

I knew an ACD who had scars across his face from biting a chainsaw when it was operating. Off was fine, not interesting but on - got attacked. Same for lawnmowers, whipper snippers and power screwdrivers etc. ACD was scared of vaccuum cleaner. Go figure.

Hope your dad is ok.

Abbi is 10 and has a tumour (brain) but can still go hard like the young ones. I don't think it's the cancer that making her do this as she has always acted like this around machinery, even as a youngster. She has had full obedience training and used to do agility before her back and legs got bad. Do you think it's worth doing some further training considering she has only a limited amount of time left with us?

I'll call the vet and see if they can recommend a behaviorist. It's probably worth a shot hey.

I'd say worth getting it assessed. If turns out that it's prey drive or something causing the behaviour, you might not want to bother training at her age. But if it's fear causing the behaviour, then I think it's worth working on either desensitising her to the mower or removing her from the vicinity any time the mower gets used, as getting regularly terrified by machinery can't be very pleasant for her at her age either. JMO.

Poor You and your poor dad. I hope you can get him to see a DR, Last year after I got bitten by a dog I did see a doctor and the doctor said it was most important to get the wound checked and anti biotics because 9 times out of 10 dog bites turn infectious.

your dad really needs to see a doctor.

I honestly wouldn't send Abbi to see a behaviouralist, she is 10 not in good health and it is something that can be easily managed as you seem to have done yourself with you and your husband, put Abbi safely away when machinery is around. Your Dad just needs to come on board too and know not to start the machinery unless Abbi and all dogs are away so there can be no further barging out doors.

He has promised to see a dr if it gets too sore or infected etc. I've harped at him all day and gone to check on him twice. It looks sore as hell. He's milking it of course and got a nice shoulder rub out of me, old bugger knows how to guilt me into anything, lol.

Just wish it never happened, I'll never get that image out of my head of her latching onto him. :eek:

if it gets too sore or infected etc.

Too late by then- the bugs are in his bloodstream..and making a beeline for any wounds which may be still healing!! :eek:

BL**dy men!

Yep I know. I tried guilting him into it, "I'm worried, upset etc" but he won't budge. He is the most stubbornest old codger I've ever known. He was fully aware of what Abbi is like and still risked it. He shouldve told me he was coming over to WS the yard and I couldve locked her up, but no, he's too clever for that.

It's frustrating because now I'm terrified he's gonna get sick from it. Haven't mentioned it yet, but he broke the femur below the prosthesis a few weeks after the hip replacement and that's why he was bed ridden for so long. Decided to go hooning on his bike on his property three weeks after the surgery. Clever boy hey?

Just take him to the dr. :eek: My son has just been in hospital for a week with an infected finger which needed surgery and continues to need ongoing care for the next few weeks and has caused him to have to resign from his job. And he's only 19!

Firstly the dog was acting normally for many dogs. I don't know of a dog in my breed that does not try to attack lawn mowers and whipper snippers, often causing severe injuries to themselves. Dogs should always be locked away before anyone starts any power equipment and now your dad knows it.

Obviously it would be best if he goes to the doctor but if you absolutely can't drag him there, get some Ichthammol Ointment from the chemist and keep applying it to the wound, several times a day. It is the best thing I know for preventing or clearing infections from wounds, especially dog or cat bites. Our family have used it on wounds on both humans and animals since before I was born and very rarely have ever needed antibiotics to heal a wound it was applied to.