So I Was In A Book Shop

Nekhbet

And I happened to see Dr Hugh Wirth(less) has a book out about dogs. A commonsense guide it pronounces.

Well let's see shall we ...

parasites ... hmm chemical chemical chemical or your dog will die a horrible death without them

food ... what else. Oh raw bones can be good for teeth so we're halfway there

behaviour ... I needed a seat for this ... it was a little chapter that was Q&A style ...

15 week old oodle keeps barking at night!

- apparently needs to be put in the garage at night to muffle the barking and every time it barks you have to get up and chastise it like a good pack leader would - yes every time until it shuts up

new large x breed dog with existing dog ... fighting already

- wow a boy and a girl almost never fight. Let them work it out for themselves, when it gets expensive permanent separation.

SHEER GENIUS. I mean I waste my time reading other behavioural books when all I need to do is read this! I see now how I've been complicating life with trying to actually to modify behaviour when I should just be the pack leader by being the biggest grumpy bum in the house, then when the shite hits the fan just separate them cos thats how dogs are! ;)

My god. I ranted. Oh yes I ranted. In the ABC shop. I wanted to pull the bloody things off the shelf and burn them all right there and then :thumbsup: I wonder how many 'bad dogs' are labelled bad because of his stupidity and not because they actually are.

oh and you should see the 'dangerous dog' section and dogs and the law ... he didnt manage to let his true colours shine fully but you can see he wasnt on the side of breed preservation either :(

Edited by Nekhbet

I remember hearing him once on the radio - a lady called up because their 10 week old JRT puppy was nipping. His answer? PTS. Its only a matter of time before it escalates!! WTF??? Its a 10 week old terrier!! Of course its going to nip!! Idiot.

:thumbsup: ..... if it wasn't so sad :(.

Actually, I'd like to have me one of them books, mainly so I can include it in with one of my submissions to Government, using it as an example of "what's out there and why we don't like it". But I don't want to put my good money to his already silk lined pockets.

Edited by Erny

I remember hearing him once on the radio - a lady called up because their 10 week old JRT puppy was nipping. His answer? PTS. Its only a matter of time before it escalates!! WTF??? Its a 10 week old terrier!! Of course its going to nip!! Idiot.

:thumbsup:

We had this boxer in our puppy class, the owner said she went to a previous training school and the trainer said there's no way we can train the boxer and she has to be PTS.

The boxer is not aggressive at all.. very playful and friendly.. the only thing was sometimes she just rolls on the ground not wanting to move. but being PTS because of that as a puppy? :thumbsup:

I've never heard of him...but what a clueless moron ;):

:( "Hugh Who?" (BM : Not having a sling at you .... more at the person himself.)

He's the President of the RSPCA. Or was. Now I'm not sure what or where he is in the RSPCA. He speaks a lot. And with the "RSPCA tag" that goes with him, he has a large and adoring following in the unsuspecting/unknowing public. Which is the REALLY scarey bit :thumbsup: .

Edited by Erny

I've never heard of him...but what a clueless moron :thumbsup::

His training 'tips' should come with a warning not to adhere to. If you did happen to burn all those books..I would have donated money to cover the costs the shopkeepers would hit you with ;-)

Lucky you! Unfortunately, in Victoria he's all over the place like a nasty rash!

I've never heard of him...but what a clueless moron :(:

His training 'tips' should come with a warning not to adhere to. If you did happen to burn all those books..I would have donated money to cover the costs the shopkeepers would hit you with ;-)

Lucky you! Unfortunately, in Victoria he's all over the place like a nasty rash!

That not even CALENDULA TEA can help !!!!! :thumbsup:

I had the misfortune of hearing 2 mins of his radio show this morning...

Apparently Samoyeds and Sibes should all be clipped off for summer. And a Sibe is an ideal first dog for a young bloke that works really long hours. But he must get it clipped off in summer.

Tool.

I've never heard of him...but what a clueless moron ;):

:( "Hugh Who?" (BM : Not having a sling at you .... more at the person himself.)

He's the President of the RSPCA. Or was. Now I'm not sure what or where he is in the RSPCA. He speaks a lot. And with the "RSPCA tag" that goes with him, he has a large and adoring following in the unsuspecting/unknowing public. Which is the REALLY scarey bit :thumbsup: .

I just did a Facebook search ( good ol' Facebook) seems he is not popular at all for his idea's on Pit Bulls and other 'Bully' breeds. Of course will have to do a legitimate search just to have a better idea...but so far it's not looking good for him :(

yeah it's called living with dogs : a commonsense guide :thumbsup:

looks like common sense isnt so common. I said to OH please buy me all the copies for Xmas so I can burn them before their stupidity is released into the world :(

as for the terrier being advised to be PTS - a lot of vets from his school of thought advocate the same thing. Because they know nothing about dog behaviour. So we hands off train our dogs purely positively, check chains are bad but we're so freaking stupid we advocate killing for normal canine behaviours. Hyprocites.

looks like common sense isnt so common. I said to OH please buy me all the copies for Xmas so I can burn them before their stupidity is released into the world :(

as for the terrier being advised to be PTS - a lot of vets from his school of thought advocate the same thing. Because they know nothing about dog behaviour. So we hands off train our dogs purely positively, check chains are bad but we're so freaking stupid we advocate killing for normal canine behaviours. Hyprocites.

Yes I will always remember the vet ( Canine behaviourist from Delta) who told me to put Annabelle to sleep...Amazing what obedience training and counter conditioning can do and not all was positive reinforcement. And who could handle a 50kg newf without check chain when you first get to meet the dog at 14 months. I was lucky enough to meet a good trainer, who was willing to use anything that could help us and train both of us

As to Hugh Worthless........I am speechless

My local library has it on order, so I've put my name down to borrow it. I'm 2nd in line. Maybe I'll lose it or maybe highlight offending text and add my comments for future borrowers ;)