I Need Tougher Balls.

Kaz

I've got a few of the rubbery orange and blue Chuckit balls - they are tennis ball sized... and I recently saw larger ones in our local pet supply store too... they are the only things my crazy Labrador hasn't been able to destroy. Not cheap, but worth every cent for their longevity.

T.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use zogoflex huck with my ball destroyer. Also the constant wearing down of his teeth from the tennis balls has stopped, which is great. I love my balls (!) so much I made my brother in law climb down the rocks into the bush below their house when one of his kids threw the ball over their fence and he is afraid of creepy crawlies... :)

My dogs are costing me a fortune in balls.

I have one of those ball thrower things and we have a play session every morning on the beach which the dogs love.

I have tried all sorts of balls but the dogs invariably manage to crack them open in a matter of minutes.

The solid rubber balls end up chewed and mangled. I usually go through around 10 to 12 balls a week.

Can anyone recommend a product please

Petstock here has these balls that are the same size as tennis balls but they are harder. My dog who kills all his tennis balls within a day from chomping on them still can't kill these ones. I think they're kramar?

:rofl: Really? Gawd, I could never use them for my Kelpie.. he'd catch one on the run and knock out all his teeth!!!

I resorted to using cricket balls, they are made of leather so mimimal give in them. Providing you dont leave them with your dog to chew they should last a few months.

Keep in mind too that overseas websites are usually cheaper and if you look hard enough, some of them offer international shipping! :rofl:

I use The Find when searching for any of the toys I want to buy for my dog. So far, Cuz balls are highly recommended around here. Not a single dent in ours!

Keep in mind too that overseas websites are usually cheaper and if you look hard enough, some of them offer international shipping! :rofl:

I use The Find when searching for any of the toys I want to buy for my dog. So far, Cuz balls are highly recommended around here. Not a single dent in ours!

K9: Keep in mind there are two different sized Hucks, ours are the large.

When companies bring these items into Australia they are charged import duties and have to add GST, so at times when our dollar is great they "might" be cheaper overseas, but if we don't support local suppliers, they will dry up and when the dollar flips you have no option but to pay the higher price....

Keep in mind too that overseas websites are usually cheaper and if you look hard enough, some of them offer international shipping! :laugh:

K9: Keep in mind there are two different sized Hucks, ours are the large.

When companies bring these items into Australia they are charged import duties and have to add GST, so at times when our dollar is great they "might" be cheaper overseas, but if we don't support local suppliers, they will dry up and when the dollar flips you have no option but to pay the higher price....

Just saying what worked for me, I guess.. :thumbsup: I saved $80 on stuff for my puppy by buying from overseas stores. For someone who doesn't have a great deal of money to throw around, it's not really an amount you can sneer at.. you know?

Thanks Ness but the foam balls get mangled in the time between the dogs catching and returning the ball so they only last a session or so.

I'll check out the Kong - sounds like a possibility

So what are they actually doing between catching and returning the ball? I'm intrigued! Are they coming straight back to you, or sitting down and having a gnaw?

My GSD has a very hard mouth, but I don't have this problem. I'm wondering if maybe there is a training angle you could take, rather than having to buy special balls?

:laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They are coming straight back with the ball.....but wedge it into the side of their mouths and give it as many good chomps as they can fit in during the retrieval time. I think they really love the sound and feel of the 'pop' if they can get a tooth through the surface of the ball.

Then if there are are several other dogs and owners in the group, it is impossible to keep track of who has what.... and I really don't want to. It's literally a pack of dogs having a ball :rofl: (or three or 4 :rofl: )

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I will be ordering at least one Huck, an Orbit, a Rogz atom and see which works best. Rusky, thanks for the link to Aussie Dog - I think I may find something suitable there too.

If the chuck it ball is the same as the one that comes with the chuck it stick, then that one bit the dust on the first retrieve. :rofl:

I use zogoflex huck with my ball destroyer. Also the constant wearing down of his teeth from the tennis balls has stopped, which is great. I love my balls (!) so much I made my brother in law climb down the rocks into the bush below their house when one of his kids threw the ball over their fence and he is afraid of creepy crawlies... :laugh:

Have to agree here - have a real power-chewer Border Terrier who has destroyed every ball he has ever owned, until I chanced across the Huck balls - Zygoflex or Zogoflex or something are the makers, you can get them here in Oz now, but they can be cheaper overseas with the exchange rate even including postage - look around.

So now I only have to replace them every 8 months or more. And the makers claim they will give you a free replacement if the dog destroys it - I know this is true too, because the first one he finally destroyed I sent them photos of what was left of the ball and they send me a freebie!

:thumbsup: Really? Gawd, I could never use them for my Kelpie.. he'd catch one on the run and knock out all his teeth!!!

I resorted to using cricket balls, they are made of leather so mimimal give in them. Providing you dont leave them with your dog to chew they should last a few months.

Hi Bundys Mum

From my back deck down the hill to the dam is around 60-70m I could throw it just far enough that it would hit the water just before he got there (really a sight to see, talk about a ball nutter) so the ball was pretty motionless. I have now got a green one (had it for years - but have no idea what it is) and it only just floats so he spins around in circles waiting for it to bob up so he can grab it. After doing this for many years we now have a problem retreive/trialling cause we love to chew things, poor dog doesnt understand why he could and now he cant!!