Photo Editing Software For Apple Users

carebear

just wondering for those who use mac's, which photo editing software do you use and why

also, which have you tried and disliked?

i'm hoping that my parents will buy me one, but i have no idea which one to go with. i know i can trial them, but not sure where to start. at the moment i just use iphoto's editing and that's it.

We used Photoshop in Uni but now I use Lightroom...

I notice you're in Brisbane - I went to a photo editing course to learn about all the about photo editing software and that's how I chose lightroom.

The course is run by Dean Holland and the Photo Editing course info is here http://www.takebetterphotos.com.au/photo-e...urses-info.html - The awesome part is that you can go back to the course as many times as you like within 12 months and you get cheat cards to take home :)

Edited to say that he's going to be offering Mac software courses in 2011

Edited by SammieS

Everyone I know on a Mac is Lightroom and Photoshop :D

Lightroom will do about 95% of whatever you need to do, probably.

Photoshop allows you to work with layers, has better cloning options, has text features and drop shadows and a million other filters.

Lightroom is your main darkroom & organizational tool and Photoshop is the extra special stuff kinda :rofl:

i personally rarely open Photoshop to do more than smack my watermark bar thingo on stuff (because I'm too lazy to take the 30 seconds it would take to make the droplet in Lightroom LOL) and a few other bits and bobs. I'm not so much into textures and layer work and highly involved editing on my images much ... I'm low maintenance that way.

Edited by kja

can you do that selective colouring thing with lightroom?

Please, no :rofl:

yes, but it's probably a bit easier to do more things in photoshop.

I shouldn't dis selective colour - I used it the other day for my own amusement (done in LR):

NOV10_171kja.jpg

Edited by kja

oh god, selective colouring please no!!!! When done right, it can look good, but there are very very few instances it does look right, mostly (like for instance when someone does just the eyes, and puts the rest in BW, it just looks creepy, or say does a flower and leaves the person or animal in BW - it draws attention to that and not the intended subject of the photo.

i just want to learn how to do it, not going to do everything in it. there are lots of things i want to learn how to do, and that is one of the few things i even know the name of.

atm all i am able to do, is put it in sepia or black and white, crop, rotate, straighten or enhance the colour/exposure as that is all iphoto will let me do.

Ignore the nay sayers :D It is good to learn to do things whether you use them day to day or not - it all builds skills and gives you a different view of things. Sometimes it will be a good addition, sometimes it will make you go screaming for the hills six months later :laugh: :laugh: :D

lol yeah i completely understand.

i do like the selective colouring when i see it, but that isn't often, so there is no way i'd do it all the time anyway. i think i've taken 3 photos over the last 2 years that i've wanted to try it on lol

i do like that crab thing you posted above. he's a cutie lol