Endurance Test 2011 Thread

We did around 3 and a half kms today (will double check the distance shortly), Lewis was fine I was once again puffing flat out after going up the hill!

Yesterday we walked 10kms with a bit of a break in the middle.

I feel fitter already, but a long way to go!

Lewis came home then proceeded to run around madly chasing Rommi and playing ball. I managed a decent wander!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi murve

I have a GSD who I am training to run on a flat leather collar, I started off with her wearing 2 collars so that I could have the control, as she is very reactive to other dogs, not negatively but she wants to play and I don't want to get dragged off the bike.

I am working with Diva, that when another dog is coming towards us, she pays attention to me for treats. The first few times I got of the bike and treated her. Next I stood astride the dog and treated her until she was comfortable with that, then treated her while riding slowly passed other dogs.

BUT I still don't have her ignoring dogs that rush up off leash or run alongside fence lines!! We are wokring on this.

Hi freundhund, My main prob is my boy has sliped his flat leather collar a few times when he was younger, so we use a martingale, I will have a go with your sujestion of 2 collars & see how Orlando goes. Being a whippet they have a smaller head than neck. :)

Hi murve

I have a GSD who I am training to run on a flat leather collar, I started off with her wearing 2 collars so that I could have the control, as she is very reactive to other dogs, not negatively but she wants to play and I don't want to get dragged off the bike.

I am working with Diva, that when another dog is coming towards us, she pays attention to me for treats. The first few times I got of the bike and treated her. Next I stood astride the dog and treated her until she was comfortable with that, then treated her while riding slowly passed other dogs.

BUT I still don't have her ignoring dogs that rush up off leash or run alongside fence lines!! We are wokring on this.

Hi freundhund, My main prob is my boy has sliped his flat leather collar a few times when he was younger, so we use a martingale, I will have a go with your sujestion of 2 collars & see how Orlando goes. Being a whippet they have a smaller head than neck. :)

Or you could try a harness?

Hi murve

I am going to buy and will use a proper leather Whippet collar. They are wide and can be done up firmly so they cannot slide over the head, but are also gentle on the neck. It would be good if you could use a martingale or limited slip, but other than that I am going with a correctly fitted Whippet collar

Hi Murve

Is it possible to train for the time being in whatever collar suits you, then closer to the time of the ET put your dog on the flat collar and see how he goes.

I honestly think that if he goes okay, you should possibly only put the flat collar on for the ET. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck, I am off to swim the Diva, I am sooooooooooo sick of Sydney rain.

Thanks for all the ET info - very interesting looking like it might be right up my alley - I'd just ordered a walky dog attachment for hubbys and my mountain bikes as we'd love to take the BC and new GSP out with us when we go riding, either on our track here at home or a few local tracks.

Is anyone doing the ET at Erskine Park? I'd love to go and watch, and see how its done. Our BC is too old to do it, but our GSP will be 2 in December, so an ET in 2012 might be on the cards with him. We've been practicing getting the dogs to heel next to the bike when we walk, but not game to go riding yet, until we have the added help of the walky dog incase they get distracted by a rabbit or roo. For those in Sydney/Western Sydney I'd def be up for some rides after the first week of May, if anyone is interested. I'm keen to find some suitable tracks.

Thanks for all the ET info - very interesting looking like it might be right up my alley - I'd just ordered a walky dog attachment for hubbys and my mountain bikes as we'd love to take the BC and new GSP out with us when we go riding, either on our track here at home or a few local tracks.

Is anyone doing the ET at Erskine Park? I'd love to go and watch, and see how its done. Our BC is too old to do it, but our GSP will be 2 in December, so an ET in 2012 might be on the cards with him. We've been practicing getting the dogs to heel next to the bike when we walk, but not game to go riding yet, until we have the added help of the walky dog incase they get distracted by a rabbit or roo. For those in Sydney/Western Sydney I'd def be up for some rides after the first week of May, if anyone is interested. I'm keen to find some suitable tracks.

Hi Zenith,

Good luck with your ET training. The walky attachments are great for riding with the dogs, but also get them used to being held by you with a lead. When competing in an ET you can only have a lead or harness. Bike attachments are not allowed.

I am in Melbourne, so won't be able to go to Erskine Park. I have been there for a dog show before. The grounds are fairly flat so it should be an easy ride for an ET.

M

I've been really happy with Ahsoka's progress - she's really comfortable with the few kms we've been doing so I'm starting to increase her speed and distance. She's loving it!

I would definitely be up for a group ride in Sydney! It's great practice for the dogs to get used to running in single file!

Hi Zenith,

Good luck with your ET training. The walky attachments are great for riding with the dogs, but also get them used to being held by you with a lead. When competing in an ET you can only have a lead or harness. Bike attachments are not allowed.

I am in Melbourne, so won't be able to go to Erskine Park. I have been there for a dog show before. The grounds are fairly flat so it should be an easy ride for an ET.

M

Thanks for the info :confused: I'll definitely give riding a go holding onto the lead once they are used to it. How do you find breaking, turns etc, whilst holding onto the dog?

I've been really happy with Ahsoka's progress - she's really comfortable with the few kms we've been doing so I'm starting to increase her speed and distance. She's loving it!

I would definitely be up for a group ride in Sydney! It's great practice for the dogs to get used to running in single file!

Sounds like she's going really well! At least the weathers cooling down now might make it easier to push the intensity a bit.

Thanks for the info :confused: I'll definitely give riding a go holding onto the lead once they are used to it. How do you find breaking, turns etc, whilst holding onto the dog?

Hi, I guess with everything we do, this will take a little practice. If the dog is used to heeling for you, then it should also be able to anticipate your needs to halt or turn.

Same thing should apply with the bike. Just a case of getting the dog used to it.

Keep the lead in your left hand only, and bunch the excess lead into your hand. DO NOT wrap the lead around your hand.

M

I've done zero ET training since my first 3 bike rides a couple of months ago :) Just too busy to find the time for it! Not entirely sure I will push my girls to do it. We'll see :) Ours is in June I think, it was advertised in our latest Canine News.

Sounds like she's going really well! At least the weathers cooling down now might make it easier to push the intensity a bit.

That's true! The weather is quite pleasant for the both of us!

:) You and me both RS - determined to do some over Easter. Been busy with agility (Kirra) obedience and Rally O (Rory) and now DWD with both dogs at a worshop in Melbourne this weekend. And tracking season is coming up ...... :) Overcommitted, much? :) But at least our ET isn't till July.

I've done zero ET training since my first 3 bike rides a couple of months ago ;) Just too busy to find the time for it! Not entirely sure I will push my girls to do it. We'll see :cry: Ours is in June I think, it was advertised in our latest Canine News.

Hi Murve

Is it possible to train for the time being in whatever collar suits you, then closer to the time of the ET put your dog on the flat collar and see how he goes.

I honestly think that if he goes okay, you should possibly only put the flat collar on for the ET. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck, I am off to swim the Diva, I am sooooooooooo sick of Sydney rain.

Thanks Freundund for the info I shall try & see how my boy goes, I am looking at some flat Whippet collars that are overseas as I am unable to try & find some here in Aus.

Thanks for the info :D I'll definitely give riding a go holding onto the lead once they are used to it. How do you find breaking, turns etc, whilst holding onto the dog?

Hi, I guess with everything we do, this will take a little practice. If the dog is used to heeling for you, then it should also be able to anticipate your needs to halt or turn.

Same thing should apply with the bike. Just a case of getting the dog used to it.

Keep the lead in your left hand only, and bunch the excess lead into your hand. DO NOT wrap the lead around your hand.

M

Thanks for the great info - keen to get out on the bike with the dogs when the walky dogs arrive. Our BC's heel is fantastic, and I used to run with him (before my injury, now I can't run hence why I bought a bike) so he would be safe to hold in the hand on the bike, but the new GSP is still learning to heel consistently (especially with all the distractions of birds, rabbits, roos, horses, cows etc). He's improving heaps we practice twice a day in between free exercise, and some general obedience training, and after about 5-10 minutes he really gets into the zone and heels much better. I've only had him about 10 weeks, so with more time and practice he will be much more consistent - this time next year he will be just over 2 years old so I'm sure we will have it all under control by then, and can start some serious ET training.

Well we had a beautiful cool day it stopped raining and was very calm so off we went on the bike. We 6kms and Lewis's heart rate was actually slightly lower than when we have done the 4 kms, go figure!! I did it off lead to make sure I wasn't draggin him along and he stayed in position quite happily and was barely in a pant when we got home.

I didn't quite make it up the steep hill up to the house today, my little legs got to tired, but other than that it was good :rofl:

Off for a walk this afternoon when we get another break in the rain ( So I can get fitter and Rommi egts some exercise as she doesn't liek running next to the bike too far), then some speed exercise with the chuck it and Kong ball last thing :D

On another note has anyone seen the area the WA ET is being held???

I was going to google map it, but our internet is crappy and slow at the moment and Google maps gives it a hernia!

If it's the area I'm thinking, I think I've walked both dogs there once for some fundraiser dog walk. Nice track! But it's all footpath so I don't know where else we'd be riding to get the different surfaces! Hmm hang on, there is Yangebup Lake and Little Rush Lake next to each other, I have no idea!

Now I know the area, I should aim at being able to get the dogs around it... not sure the distance of it so I'm guessing I will need to work up to getting them round it a few times :rofl:

Any other Perth people want to meet up to go for a bike ride round there sometime?