Endurance Test 2011 Thread

The Vims/montemelia is open to all but from memory it involves a full Novice trial then your 20 kms, then a full novice trial again - like the ET was MANY moons ago.

Then their is other stuff you do as well. I enquired about it years ago with my Dobe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could I suggest you contact the GSDClub of WA either Honey or Carol-Anne would be happy to help you with your questions both are very approciable.

These are both WA phone numbers.

Training Supervisor:- Mrs Honey Gross-Richardson - 9349 8431 - Email:- [email protected]

Trials:- Ms Carol-Anne Davies - 9397 0168

Good luck with doing the ET, please let us know how you are going.

Cheers

The Vims/montemelia is open to all but from memory it involves a full Novice trial then your 20 kms, then a full novice trial again - like the ET was MANY moons ago.

Then their is other stuff you do as well. I enquired about it years ago with my Dobe

Hi,

The obedience test has been replaced with a "willingness" test. It is nowhere near trial standard and is purely done for the judge to see/assess that the dog is capable of following instruction and willing to work with you.

It can be done on or off lead and is as simple as a short heeling pattern, a couple of turns, a halt, a stand, and a short recall.

M

Hi,

The obedience test has been replaced with a "willingness" test. It is nowhere near trial standard and is purely done for the judge to see/assess that the dog is capable of following instruction and willing to work with you.

It can be done on or off lead and is as simple as a short heeling pattern, a couple of turns, a halt, a stand, and a short recall.

M

Yes the ET now has a willingness test but the ET trial which js part of the VIMS/montemelia is or at least was not that long ago is the full obedience test. There are other things you needs to do as well

Sorry I stand corrected, it is a trial to open standard

http://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheets/view/2/8/105

The VIMS is a 2 day trial consisting of the following exercises. To win, a pass must be achieved in all exercises.

1. Endurance Test (ET) plus heeling routine to Open standard including changes of pace and figure 8, and a retrieve over obstacle

2. Food refusal incorporating an out of sight down stay

3. Temperament test - judge to designate

4. Water retrieve

5. Retrieve across ditch

6. Nosework (4 articles, judges articles, judges scent)

7. Heelwork (signals only) incorporating gun test and down stay

8. Steeplechase, including 700mm jumps, tunnels etc, no bar jumps

Eligibility: Open to all German Shepherd Dogs

All dogs must be 24 months old and under 7 years of age

----

http://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheets/view/2/8/106

The Montamelia is a 2 day trial consisting of the following exercises. To win, a pass must be achieved in all exercises.

1. Endurance Test (ET) plus heeling routine to Open standard including changes of pace and figure 8, and a retrieve over obstacle

4. Water retrieve

5. Retrieve across ditch

Eligibility

Open to all Dogs

So the VIMS/Montemelia is quite different and I believe it was the German SHpherd people who created it.

Hi KC Blue

I am in the inner west, I don't know whether I will do Sydney or Canberra, but I am looking for someone to bike with occasionally. If you would like to PM me if you would like someone to bike with.

I can meet most places.

Cheers

4. Water retrieve

5. Retrieve across ditch

Eligibility: Open to all German Shepherd Dogs

----

http://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheets/view/2/8/106

The Montamelia is a 2 day trial consisting of the following exercises. To win, a pass must be achieved in all exercises.

4. Water retrieve

5. Retrieve across ditch

Eligibility

Open to all Dogs

So the VIMS/Montemelia is quite different and I believe it was the German SHpherd people who created it.

Sounds really complicated. What does the dog/handler earn after successful completion?

I am assuming it is not for an ANKC recognised title?

M

Sounds really complicated. What does the dog/handler earn after successful completion?

I am assuming it is not for an ANKC recognised title?

M

Just what I was about to ask! Wondering if you earn a different ANKC recognised title other than "ET" :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Done some training runs with the dogs.

I have learnt very quickly it is not Rommi's cup of tea after around a km and Lewis is wanting to keep going after three. I think that clearly shows me that Lewis will be the ET dog and we will pass on that one for Rommi. I did around 2 kms today with Lewis. On a Whippet forum I got some negative comments regarding my motive for attempting an ET with a Whippet as they are designed for short bursts of speed not endurance.

So today I did a leisurely 2 kms or close to with Lewis, no lead (we are on a large farm so no danger with roads etc) and he stuck next to my left side and did whatever pace I did - slow going up the big hill to the house I can assure you!

He wasn't even panting, or looking tired at all! I was a different story!!

Speaking of heart rates, they ask for a base heart rate before the ET. What do they need to return to after each section?? the base heart rate or X amount of heart beats above????

Lewis's RHR at home on the lounge is 38 to 40 bpm. After 2kms of varied speeds his heart immediately after was 78bpm. I know when I push him harder it will be higher.

Edited by OSoSwift

Done some training runs with the dogs.

I have learnt very quickly it is not Rommi's cup of tea after around a km and Lewis is wanting to keep going after three. I think that clearly shows me that Lewis will be the ET dog and we will pass on that one for Rommi. I did around 2 kms today with Lewis. On a Whippet forum I got some negative comments regarding my motive for attempting an ET with a Whippet as they are designed for short bursts of speed not endurance.

So today I did a leisurely 2 kms or close to with Lewis, no lead (we are on a large farm so no danger with roads etc) and he stuck next to my left side and did whatever pace I did - slow going up the big hill to the house I can assure you!

He wasn't even panting, or looking tired at all! I was a different story!!

Speaking of heart rates, they ask for a base heart rate before the ET. What do they need to return to after each section?? the base heart rate or X amount of heart beats above????

Lewis's RHR at home on the lounge is 38 to 40 bpm. After 2kms of varied speeds his heart immediately after was 78bpm. I know when I push him harder it will be higher.

Hi Ososwif, if the Sire of my Whippet boy can get his "ET" title you can to, I have just started working my boy & our Pappy bitch,

Guest CaptainCourageous
can anyboby tell me if a Papillon has completed ET :rolleyes: I have been told a Pappy has not done it as far as the person I spoke to knows

I think a Pap did one before the first Schipperke.

CC

I am quite sure Lewis will get it. Rommi I don't think finds it as easy as Lewis, but anyway so far she really doesn't enjoy it. I will continue to do some shorter distances and she how she goes, but Lewis is naturally the one with more stamina for distance and always has been.

I was quite suprised by some of the responses I got on the forum. Some positive ones but many where along the lines of what are you thinking!!

On a Whippet forum I got some negative comments regarding my motive for attempting an ET with a Whippet as they are designed for short bursts of speed not endurance.

That's surprising OSS - the year I did ET down here with my 2 BCs, a Whippet did it as well (one of the top agility dogs in Tasmania) - AFAIK he did it in style, in spite of the very un-Whippet friendly weather - severe wind squalls, rain and sleet. (That was Flynn aka Skelly - who ran for Tasmania in Agility Nationals in Perth last year. :rofl:

About 12 years ago when I did the ET with a friend's GSD, there was a black pug. The pug ran with his handler who jogged the entire distance. (Show off :) )

Apparently the pug jogged every day with its handler, the handler apparently ran marathons, and took the pug out with him every morning.

IMHO the pug was the fittest dog there, in fact it was the one at the end jumping up at dad saying lets go again. :love::):cry:

Today went well only did a short ride, mainly concentrating on getting the Diva to work slowly alongside the bike. At the moment she wants to go at a million miles an hour. :eek: And I am now working on her control.

NOTE forgot to put gel seat with its lovely gel cover on the new bike. Now to put gel seat with its gel cover on bike, need all the padding I can get.

Also is there anyone available to teach me how to use gears!!! New bike has lovely gears, I just have no idea how to use them :hitself:

About 12 years ago when I did the ET with a friend's GSD, there was a black pug. The pug ran with his handler who jogged the entire distance. (Show off :) )

Apparently the pug jogged every day with its handler, the handler apparently ran marathons, and took the pug out with him every morning.

IMHO the pug was the fittest dog there, in fact it was the one at the end jumping up at dad saying lets go again. :love::):cry:

Today went well only did a short ride, mainly concentrating on getting the Diva to work slowly alongside the bike. At the moment she wants to go at a million miles an hour. :eek: And I am now working on her control.

NOTE forgot to put gel seat with its lovely gel cover on the new bike. Now to put gel seat with its gel cover on bike, need all the padding I can get.

Also is there anyone available to teach me how to use gears!!! New bike has lovely gears, I just have no idea how to use them :hitself:

you have given me insperation with our Papillon, all she wants to do is run, :eek: if a Pug can do it we can, I just need the motivation to ride the bike & work out the gears toooo

Whoa Hoa took the plunge :eek: , took Orlando (my whippet ) out with the bike, what a natural :laugh: he has never been near a bike till today, he was very happy to pace beside the bike

I also tried our Pappy (Malika) just like Orlando A natural, the pair of them just wanted to keep going & going.

Me on the other hand will have to invest in a gel seat, got a bloody sore butt :D