Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Ok, so I've been out of this thread for ages and you lot have racked up a massive amount of posts!!!

I took Kenzie out on the bike for the first time ever yesterday. She is a superstar!!! Ran/trotted beautifully the whole time. The only issues I had were other people walking dogs on the track (and there weren't many - everyone was watching the footy!!), so I need to work on her ignoring them when we go past. And even then the issue is if they are coming towars us, we can follow/pass people if they are travelling the same direction as us!

So, she did about 7km in 40 min. I think that's just over the speed they are supposed to run at. I know it's somewhere in the thread (but after trawling a few pages, I figured I'd just ask!!), but about how long does it usually take to do each leg of the ET? I know it is supposed to be around 10km/h but from those who've done it I'm just wondering how long the dogs run for each leg.

Anyway, seeing as though it all went so well yesterday my motivation has been renewed and my plan is that she will get her ET title next year!!!! Fingers crossed that our training goes well and nothing gets in our way!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PME when we did it earlier this year with our Whippet, we covered 8k's 1st leg, then 2 lots of 6k's at a speed of about 10-11k's total time including vets checks about 21/2 hrs. Correct me if I am wrong Abbistar :laugh:

We did ours with the Hungarian Vizsla Club :) , that was held at Kcc Park, we will back next year with our Pappy Bitch, she missed out this year, came into season 3 weeks early :eek: , our 2 young boys just miss out next year :( so they have to wait till 2013

Sounds good PME - but just a caution - it's better to build up gradually - and do varying speeds. And also be careful about the surfaces - again, build up gradually to hard surfaces, so you don't end up with sore pads.

You can download the rules from the ANKC site here/ As murve said, it's 8, 6 and 6 - with breaks.

The overall time is set - and if it was an absolutely even rate, it would be 10 kph. But it's worth training at various speeds up to about 13 or 14 kph (for some of the distance) as some judges will have the pace-setter travel a little faster - usually on the first leg - to put some time in the bank in case of problems or unforeseen circumstances.

Sounds good PME - but just a caution - it's better to build up gradually - and do varying speeds. And also be careful about the surfaces - again, build up gradually to hard surfaces, so you don't end up with sore pads.

You can download the rules from the ANKC site here/ As murve said, it's 8, 6 and 6 - with breaks.

The overall time is set - and if it was an absolutely even rate, it would be 10 kph. But it's worth training at various speeds up to about 13 or 14 kph (for some of the distance) as some judges will have the pace-setter travel a little faster - usually on the first leg - to put some time in the bank in case of problems or unforeseen circumstances.

Quite right Tassie :thumbsup: I really enjoyed doing the ET this year, I am a gluten for punishment by going back next year & the year after, then all our guys will have their ET's :laugh: :laugh:

we will be starting our Pappy bitch training round about Feb next year, her being little will need more time to prep her :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yep it can be hard to find the time.

My kids are pretty good, so sometimes if I was really pushed I put them infront of the TV (Yes I know it will rot their minds) and do bog laps past the house :)

Other times I was harping on at the OH to get home, hurry up etc then would take off on the bike.

Motivation was good, making sure it was done every second day was a bit harder at times :)

I did ever second day then did two days one day off for the last month I think.

Edited by OSoSwift

l will certainly be doing the Vic one at Altona again, l loved the course, the Canberra one l did not love so much, don't think l would head back there again.

Hi All,

I have been off line for some weeks now. I lost my mother to cancer four weeks ago. Her fourth battle with this insidious disease.

I will endeavour to find out the dates for the 2012 ET's. There are no more scheduled for this year, and as was mentioned, they are usually held in the cooler months.

M