Has Your Dog Ever Protected You?

siks3

My brothers 2 year old (at the time) son got out while his mum was sleeping :) His Staffy followed my nephew out the gate and down the road (towards a main road), right next to him. Some people stopped and tried to get hold of him to tske him to the police, but Rocky put himself between the people and my nephew and growled and snarled. My nephew turned and started running back home.

In the meantime, my brother had arrived home and found his son missing. He freaked and ran back out to the car, just in time to see his son running down the road, dog right next to him, still growling at the car which was following at a safe distance. The people in the car stopped and spoke to my brother and complimented Rocky.

Rocky has also saved my nephew from being hurt. He was climbing on a trailer while we were all sitting around. All of a sudden, Rocky got up and sprinted to the trailer, throwing himself under it, just in time to cushion my nephew from a nasty fall when he slipped. None of us had even noticed, but the dog did.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brothers 2 year old (at the time) son got out while his mum was sleeping ;) His Staffy followed my nephew out the gate and down the road (towards a main road), right next to him. Some people stopped and tried to get hold of him to tske him to the police, but Rocky put himself between the people and my nephew and growled and snarled. My nephew turned and started running back home.

In the meantime, my brother had arrived home and found his son missing. He freaked and ran back out to the car, just in time to see his son running down the road, dog right next to him, still growling at the car which was following at a safe distance. The people in the car stopped and spoke to my brother and complimented Rocky.

Rocky has also saved my nephew from being hurt. He was climbing on a trailer while we were all sitting around. All of a sudden, Rocky got up and sprinted to the trailer, throwing himself under it, just in time to cushion my nephew from a nasty fall when he slipped. None of us had even noticed, but the dog did.

Woaaahh, that's an amazing dog! :)

lol @ some peoples definition of protect.

Believe it or not, most dogs will not protect their owners. This is even true for the traditional 'guard' breeds. Barking/growling at some noise/people doesn't amount to protection. The dog isn't being stressed/pushed, it isn't having its nerve/courage truly tested. Oh and who cares if a small dog protects you, it isn't hard to hurt a small dog lol.

Try standing somewhere in a corner and have a confident aggressive person approach you with a weapon (that they aren't afriad to use on you/your dog whilst kicking your dog). Let's see how many dogs protect then. Probably only dogs that have been bred for protection work and trained accordingly to cope with stressful situations.

Just pissing all over an otherwise perfectly entertaining thread.

FYP.

What is FYP?

Edited by FlyingFurball

Believe it or not, most dogs will not protect their owners. This is even true for the traditional 'guard' breeds. Barking/growling at some noise/people doesn't amount to protection. The dog isn't being stressed/pushed, it isn't having its nerve/courage truly tested. Oh and who cares if a small dog protects you, it isn't hard to hurt a small dog lol.

That's true, although I'm not sure where you draw the line.

If the dog growls at someone who is threatening you, and that person backs off, the dog technically did protect you . Even though it may have been mostly bluff on the dog's part, and even though the dog might not have continued to protect you if the situation had gotten more violent, the dog's "protection" was still adequate for that situation.

I agree that there is usually an element of wishful thinking in many of these types of stories, though. People want to own the perfect dog, and we all interpret our dog's behaviour in the most flattering light.

Even the OP story doesn't live up to your high standards of "protection" DerRottweiler. So if you have a story go ahead and share, honour us dog owners who have dogs that merely growl or bark at strangers around their homes...even little 3 kg dogs that clearly trigger your contempt :confused: I'd love to hear about SuperDog...

Edited by FlyingFurball

Even the OP story doesn't live up to your high standards of "protection" DerRottweiler. So if you have a story go ahead and share, honour us dog owners who have dogs that merely growl or bark at strangers around their homes...even little 3 kg dogs that clearly trigger your contempt :confused: I'd love to hear about SuperDog...

I'm just being realistic.

I have tissues for all concerned parties that would like to have a sook. :o

Isn't your dog growling/barking and a person backing off realistic???????

Seems pretty real to me when a person is NOT harmed due to the fact the dog has acted the way it has. We don't all need or want dogs that would rip someone apart if they looked like they were going to cause a problem.

I remember recently in the news forum a GSD biting someone that tried to attack it's owner when they were out walking. Quite likely that was a pet and suprise, suprise it actually rose to the occasion when required and used it's teeth when pushed.....but wait hang on our pets don't guard thats right....maybe the GSD didn't get the memo.

I do not at all expect my Whippets to guard anything but their own butts. My Dobe I expected to guard but thankfully there was no real need to it while she was here.

Edited by OSoSwift

Even the OP story doesn't live up to your high standards of "protection" DerRottweiler. So if you have a story go ahead and share, honour us dog owners who have dogs that merely growl or bark at strangers around their homes...even little 3 kg dogs that clearly trigger your contempt :love: I'd love to hear about SuperDog...

I have tissues for all concerned parties that would like to have a sook. :love:

If this is realism it is a harsh world.

Edited by FlyingFurball

Even the OP story doesn't live up to your high standards of "protection" DerRottweiler. So if you have a story go ahead and share, honour us dog owners who have dogs that merely growl or bark at strangers around their homes...even little 3 kg dogs that clearly trigger your contempt :love: I'd love to hear about SuperDog...

I have tissues for all concerned parties that would like to have a sook. :love:

I'm sure the owners of the small dogs DO care very much,as the degree of courage and "stress" is much greater. Why the need to deprive people of their pride in their dog?

Most of us are well aware that we can't rely on an untrained dog,so when they rise to the occasion,its cause for pride.

No one has ever pushed it with my current dogs.Those people have had their own nerve and courage tested and so far they have been the 1st the back down.It would take a madman to try and we haven't encountered any of them yet.Realisticaly,we don't expect to.Within reason,I would still be pretty confident in my dog,but if the idea is not to deliberately put them in that situation,its a pointless speculation.

I am happy to enjoy the stories.

Edited by moosmum

I remember a story here in SA awhile ago about a girl in Adelaide that a man tried to abduct her.

She was walking a small dog what the media called a "sausage dog" and the attack was enough to trigger the dog to fight and because of the little dogs courage she was unharmed.

So in a real world situation the little dog did do well.

I have had a rottweiler that I did protection train and that dog now works at State Security services as a protection dog.

He was given to them by me because he was not the type of animal I wanted around my kids.

He was fully trust worthy but not a family pet.

A protection dog is not suitable for most peoples life styles so when the family dog steps up to the plate and at least tries it is something for any owner to feel proud of.

If the dog is threatening enough to stop an intruder ect without biting even better.

My heart dog Woosie (a Rotti with the sweetest temperament ever) wouldn't let anyone into my room if I was asleep. My poor flatmate tried to come and wake me because there was a phonecall for me... and my 10 week old "guard dog" stood over the top of me and scared the 6'4" Maori flatmate right back out the door... lol! Woosie never left the bed, and didn't bark or carry on - she just let him know she wasn't having him come any closer by using a growl he totally understood to mean "get out"...

This dog was perfectly fine with everyone and everything except when I was asleep. If I were awake in bed, she wasn't fazed by people coming in... just when I was asleep... god I miss that dog! A piece of my soul went with her when she passed...

T.

My dogs were the same when I shared a house T, no one was allowed in unless I was awake.

I have a few protection stories but my favourite has nothing to do with a human aggressor.

I had a Borzoi who really disliked water, never swam, loved the beach for the sand and space but wouldn't even get his toes wet without a major drama. I'd take him to the beach with a friend and her dog and we'd take turns going in the water vs minding the dogs on the beach.

One very rough surf day, rough enough that someone drowned off the neighbouring beach, I was out swimming about 30m offshore and suddenly there he was, grabbing at my arm. He had never entered water of his own choice before and never did again, but that day he got restless and worried enough on the beach to overcome his own dislike and fear of water and came to get me back to shore. I thought that was kind of brave really. Not a herding breed, not a guardian breed, just a 'pet'.

Same dog stopped a bunch of drunken teenagers busting into my house a few years later, and later again took hold of a misguided plumber who had ignored the instruction not to enter the yard unaccompanied. I don't think it would have mattered except that he came by at 7am before I was up. The housemate couldn't get the dog to let go, but as soon as I got there and spoke to him he dropped the guys arm and trotted off with me. No injury, no barking or growling, just a firm hold until he knew the guy was approved for entry. I thought we'd be in trouble for that one, but the tradie just tried to buy him, lol.

Who says small dogs can't protect you!

My staffy/norfolk mix is notoriously protective. He will not let strangers near me, full stop. He has bitten a friend who threatened me and moved too close - Carl is only knee height but he sure as hell packs a punch! He is protective of me and I am happy that way. He also protects my smaller Min Pin from dogs who get too close...absolutely no beef with getting in there headfirst to make them back off. :) At the same time he is the most loving thing on the planet. I have no doubt in my mind he'd bite the nuts of any man who tried to snatch me. :laugh:

I used to have a training mentor whose view was that as soon as you say 'x breed can't do that', you'll find that someone somewhere in the world has already trained it.

English bulldog and schutzhund obstacle course!!!

<__<

>__>

Who said that?

/runs away