Are These Hotspots?

I bathed Lexi today and noticed these sores on her, she has 4 in total, one on each ear, one on her rump just next to her tail, and one in her armpit, I just want to know if they are hotspots and can they be treated with curash? or should I take her to the vet about them tonight?

Ear

2iq5br.jpg

Other ear

o7lo2f.jpg

Rump/tail

2wluclz.jpg

Armpit

1jnfqs.jpg

They dont seem to be bothering her at all, I did notice that her ears were itchy last night but I couldnt see anything there

Anyway im off to the supermarket to get some curash, Ive been meaning to get some to keep on hand, hopefully when I get back Ill have some responses

WOW, hope these pics reduce in size for everyone like they do for me lol...wish stupid fb was working

Yes, certainly look like it, really pack the Curash on to them, you need them dry, they do look nasty and may have been brewing for a couple of days. If you have caught them quick enough the Curash will work. I find keeping them dry rather than applying creams etc is the best way. Betadine scrub then dry thoroughly and apply Curash.

Hmm, after giving her a full proper checkover Ive noticed that there is about 9 spots all up (that Ive found), some are just hot with a little bump so I guess thats the beginning, the others have opened up...is this a case for the vet? one is on her face :rofl:

My poor baby, it happens so quick!

I didn't know you could use curash on dogs, it's the powder I'm thinking. My previous dog used to get crusty, weepy sores all over & wouldn't leave them alone. At the time the vet prescribed an iodine weak solution (looked like betadine).

A few dabs b4 bed & they were gone the next day. Later found it was flea alergy detmatitus. Advantage took care of it for the rest of her life.

Jemma had hotspots recently. I had taken her to the vet as they were spreading quite rapidly on her back, they shaved all the hair away, (she ended up with a mohican hairstyle :laugh: ) which is important as they need to dry out, and gave her Ilium Neocort which I applied several times a day. As they hadn't started clearing after a week she was put on anti-biotics. :laugh:

Almost wish I didnt go to the vet now, $200 later all he did was look at one spot, give me some medicated shampoo and some antibiotics, he said curash does nothing, but didnt give me any advice on what to put on them, all he said was to wash her twice a week in this shampoo and once a week after they all clear up

Curash has always worked for me, and I never clip the hair away. A couple of nasty ones have needed Betadine, but have been on rescues that have been left untreated, or on grooming clients that had no idea what was under the dogs hair.

Creams don't allow the spot to dry out and in my experience slow down the healing. I wish I had kept photos of my GSD rescue she was possibly the worst case I have ever seen and is super sensitive to anything that irritates her, 3 or 4 applications of Betadine then the Curash and all was good.

When my older boy had something similar on his back at the top of his tail ... I found it was almost constantly wet so it was much easier to just shave the area (he has really really thick hair in that area) and spray the area with Cetrigen.

Poor baby looked funny like a bald and purple/pink bottom ...

Edited by Tilly

Glad you went to the vet for ABs. That many hotspots are a worry and while 99% of dogs do have them heal with no problem, I have a friend who lost her girl, literally overnight to a hotspot. She found a hotspot on the dog who and was very quiet, so obviously not feeling the best. She couldn't find a vet open anywhere near her at night so headed for the vet first thing in the morning. The dog died within an hour of arriving at the vets, from blood poisoning because the bacteria had gotten into her bloodstream. It is the only case I have ever heard of but ABs the night before would probably have saved her.

Hotspots are usually a minor ailment but they are still a bacterial infection and can be very serious.

Hotspots are usually a minor ailment but they are still a bacterial infection and can be very serious.

:confused:

I also have sen dogs get very ill from large hotspots. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of folks just see one or two as annoyances.. fair enough... but they are a bacterial infection of the skin , and if a large area is affected, then it is serious.. like a large area being burned....

Someones sad

167693_497005038024_535128024_5835028_3903018_n.jpg

I ended up spending a couple of hours clipping all her spots, dabbing them with witch hazel, then betadine and then curash, there was a couple of spots on her ears that she wouldnt let me look at and Im alone so I had nobody to help hold her still, but because she wouldnt stop trying to lick and scratch I rang another emergency vet to see if they had E-collars, thankfully they did so took her down to get fitted for one and they clipped the ear that was still pretty bad, and put this cream on it, also thankfully they took pity on me when I told them about the other vet doing nothing about treating the spots and did that free of charge :confused: