Sore Front Leg

kiesha09

My dogs have just spent the last 12 days in a wonderful kennel while I went away over Christmas. I picked them up yesterday and they were very excited to see me and come home. The lady that runs the kennel commented that they played with a lab x poodle and would play from sunrise to sunset. They both looked fine when walking to the car.

When I got home they both were totally exhausted and went straight to their beds to sleep. Sporadically they would get up and get a drink or go out to the toilet and I noticed that Chip looked a bit stiff. I put this down to probably playing so much he was a bit sore.

This morning after a long nights sleep (they slept through from 8pm to 10am ) Chip isn't putting any weight on his right front leg at all. I'm not sure if its his leg or his shoulder. I'm still of the opinion that he is a bit stiff and therefore after not moving all night its gotten a bit sore but am no vet so its just a guess.

Would you leave it a bit before taking him to the vet or go straight away?

I'm no expert either but I would get to the vet asap. My sister-in-law's dog developed a limp and ended up having to have a knee replacement op. I think it's one of those "bitsa" dogs (bitsa this and bitsa that, not an actual breed) and just went from being alright one day to not bearing weight with the front right leg but otherwise appearing 'fine'.

Actually.... I would rest the dog for a few days and see what happens. Most vets will tell you to watch and see.

I treat the dogs the same way I treat myself and my kids.

A bit of a strain on the ankle and I would rest it for a few days. If its a cruciate ligament then waiting several days will not matter.

I have had four dogs do their cruciate ligament so I am well versed in these.

Watch the dog and no walks to see if he is stilll limping in a few days.

I too would watch and see, same as I do for us and kids when they were home. It would depend on severity and pain behaviour.

My 3 dogs often have a limp for a couple of days after rough play.

So has hubby at the moment.

I'd check everything seems to work OK, see if I could identify exactly where he was sore and probably wait and see.

Front leg so it won't be cruciate or patella surgery.

Bit blown away that the kennel would let them play that much - not something I would have been happy about.

I always go to the vet asap. Animals deteriorate faster than humans re any health issue, better safe than sorry.

I hope everything is fine, if it is, at least you know so that would be great. A good outcome is not a wasted visit, it's wonderful. :heart: If any treatment is needed, you are on it straight away and things will improve more quickly. They may even need anti inflams or pain meds like Previcox. I'd be FURIOUS with the kennel,, not just because of any injury, but OMG! dogs do not know when to stop, how ridiculous to allow that amount of play, how is the other dog they played with?

xxx :D

Edited by Monah

Being that it was New Years last night Chip and my other dog went to stay with my parents but mum said I had to take him to the vet first before she would look after him. She knows that if he refused to get up to get his breakfast there must be something seriously wrong!

He has a sprained elbow which could have been caused by any number of things. He's on some anti-inflams and is to rest. I've also booked him in to see the doggy Chiropractor.

Funny thing about the whole situation though is that I dropped the dogs off at Mum and Dads last night and after the 1 hour drive I got him out the car and he appeared totally fine. All of a sudden he would bear weight on the leg and had no limp at all. He was still kept quiet but showed no effects at all. She even took him for a few 5 minute walks to loosen the joints as recommended by the vets and he was fine. Also woke up this morning with no limp either.

My partner and I arrived at lunch time to pick them up. He had shown no limp all day. Within about 3 minutes of me arriving he started limping around again bearing no weight on it at all. I think he likes the additional attention he gets from his sore leg so put it back on :)

Within 2 minutes he was fine again... so he's still being kept quiet but I'm sure its not as bad as he sometimes makes it out to be.

ETA an explaination about the kennel. Its a very different set up to the usual kennels you see around. It is only for small dogs and there is only 10 dogs at at a time. Given that all dogs get along it is more like a home environment with a communal living area with couches, TV and kitchen. The dogs are rotated around from being in their room (which has a doggy door out to their own balcony and outdoor area) where they can chill out to being let out into the communal area where they can again go out a doggy door to a communal play area.

I'm very happy with the kennel set up and was very aware of how things work so I'm not at all worried about it. They get to play alot but they also get down time as well. I didn't really explain myself that well unfortunately.

Edited by kiesha09