My Dog Just Had A 'turn'

Bulldust

I was just out feeding all the dogs. I handed one girl a small chicken thigh and another dog came up as she took it from my hand so she swallowed it whole. A couple of seconds later she flopped on the ground on her side gently 'swimming' with her legs but still looking 'there' in her eyes, i yanked her mouth open to see if maybe she was choking and she sat up and then stood up and was completely normal. The chicken i gave her was straight from the fridge so its really cold, i can only think it must have been swallowing freezing cold chicken whole? She is health tested and is a healthy girl. Ideas?

Thats a bit of a relief, i didnt realise something like that could knock them over so quick, i thought theyd be coughing or jumping around if the food is stuck for a few seconds at least, this one just flopped over, gentle paddling with the feet no desperate struggling or anything. Sounds like it was this though because she was definitely still all there when this was happening.

Dogmad it was a thigh not a neck, i like to feed thighs because it has bone and lots of flesh, this is the first problem we've had with thigh's.

Perhaps we better go back to chicken frames

My vet seems to think it was probably the temperature of the chicken, because it was so cold and went straight down she thinks it was probably shock. Anyway hope it never happens again!

She might have had an icy pole headache?

no you see I've done a similar thing before, really cold, got stuck half way ... I just sat there feebly flailing for a few seconds :laugh:

Yes but you dont just flop down and feebly flail around when you choke either do you :rofl: not unless you've been choking for quite awhile and are losing consciousness from lack of oxygen, takes more than about 2 seconds...

This happened to Buster on christmas morning.

It scared the crap out of us, I gave them breakfast of kibble and some leftovers from the restaurant I work in, Quinn got fish, Mac got chicken and I gave Buster the big lump of steak because "he always chews so I won't have to worry about him choking"

A few seconds after putting his head in the bowl he dropped his head down, walked into a chair, fell over and started kicking his legs. My sister screamed for me and by the time I ran over he was just lying like normal looking a bit cautious.

I thnk he just choked, I'm glad we didn't have a disaster.

ETA: The steak was straight out of the fridge, maybe thats why.

Edited by busterlove

Was probably so sudden and quick cause it may have completely blocked the throat...partial choking is a lot more panicked and noisy...I'd just stick to frames but even they are a risk in some dogs that like to swallow their food whole!

Was gonna suggest it may be vaso-vagal due to cold food? Sounds like your Vet sorted it for you though.

Thanks Staff n Toller! Thats what the vet and i think it was. Can even happen in humans when drinking or eating something very cold. Busterlove id say thats what your boy did too, very scary isnt it!!!

Yep, due to the cold. Have read papers re frozen food/ice given to dogs, and it can send the stomach into spasm and kill the dogs - and also have the same effect it had on your dog.

Scary!!

My vet seems to think it was probably the temperature of the chicken, because it was so cold and went straight down she thinks it was probably shock. Anyway hope it never happens again!

She might have had an icy pole headache?

Brain freeze? How scary... glad dog is ok now

Why do you guys give your dogs cold food? Why not put it under hot water and let it de-frost a bit.?

Sasha the OP gave her dog food straight from the fridge not frozen so it didn't need to de-frost, I am sure a lot of people give their dogs food straight from the fridge I sure do. But I often freeze my dogs breakfast in stock or water as well as its great on hot summer days, cools them down :laugh: